Organ donation?

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:49 am
Professional Princess

Default Re: Organ donation?

They can have any part of me.

Ive said this before, if yours or your loved ones heart can go on beating after you die, then let it beat in the body of someone else.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:00 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I don't have an organ, but we would like to get rid of an old piano stool.

Any takers?

(Bridie - good on ya for posting this - I've been meaning to find out about it for months.)

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:04 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
LOL!

I've signed up for everything except the corneas, I have this wierd thing about eyes and I just dont like the idea of someone looking through mine - probably totally ridiculous but there you go!
I've signed up for everything - once I'm dead, they can have what they like. Whether they'd want them would be another thing!

Only thing I couldn't bear would be to donate my body for medical research or as a cadaver for student training - I know what these med students get up to!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: Gippsland, Victoria since April '05 and loving it! (ex-Belgium)
Libra76 will become famous soon enough

After we migrated to Australia, we automatically got a letter in the mail about six weeks later, from the Australian Organ Donor organisation (can't remember their exact name) asking us if we wanted to put our names down.

We didn't think about it twice, signed the form and gave consent, and got our cards a few days later with a thank you letter. We carry the cards in our wallets.

I used to be in two minds about being an organ donor, until I read a discussion on it on another forum, where someone asked: would you be willing to accept an organ from a donor should you or your child need it in order to survive? And then I realised, yes, it would be selfish to be willing to accept but not to give IYKWIM.

Cheers
Els
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:10 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Arrow Re: Organ donation?

Information about organ donation in Australia can be found on the Health Insurance Commission (HIC) website. There's also some good info about it on the website for the Australian Consumers' Association - 'Choice'.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:43 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I dont carry a card in the Uk, it's one of those "I'll get around to it" things that I've never got around to....

I wondered if they have cards in Oz, or what the system is?

Or are my organs no good cos I'm from the UK and might have mad cow disease? (mad, moi?!)
I was at centerlink and picked up my card, the gurl said we need more Organs ... i winked and said Oh yeah

She said WE ARE GRATEFUL for ANY SMALL DONATIONS !!! and winked back, with the look of YOU TIT ! lol
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:02 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

They can have any bit of me they like.

A friend of mines son collapsed and died with an anyerism last week, he was 11. The only thing keeping her going trough all of this is the fact that only 2 weeks prior (totally unrelatedly!) they had chatted about this and he said thats what he wanted to do.

Little jake now lives on in an eight year olds heart a 24 year olds pancreas a nearly blind mans eyes (they don't tke the whole eye, just a very thin sheath from over the top) and now several other peoples families have now got the hope of loved ones being around for christmas.

In Aus you can register here

http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/our_services/aaodr.htm

Last edited by hevs; Aug 23rd 2005 at 11:12 am.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Well -considering I pasted the link to sign up online, I'm ashamed I've only just got round to signing up tonight (and yes - Casualty prompted me to finally do it!).

So come on guys - get yourselves registered.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

JAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant future

Our Daughter died while on the donor list so we realise as a family how important it is.

We too watched casualty tonight & if it even makes one person sign up it will be worthwhile.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light

LOL!

I've signed up for everything except the corneas, I have this wierd thing about eyes and I just dont like the idea of someone looking through mine - probably totally ridiculous but there you go!
I am the same as you they can have anything they want except my eye's. Don't really know why there is just something about eyes.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:13 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAR123
Our Daughter died while on the donor list so we realise as a family how important it is.

We too watched casualty tonight & if it even makes one person sign up it will be worthwhile.
so sorry to hear about your daughter. i have had a donor card for about 22 years, and have registered on the donor line. i also give blood and am on the bone marrow transplant lists (anthony nolan and blood donor one). i hope i will be able to continue these things in australia, but somehow dont think so. i think the blood thing is an issue, and dont know about organ donors?

i think the system needs changing and you should carry a card if you DONT want to donate your organs (i think this is the case in USA?).
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
so sorry to hear about your daughter. i have had a donor card for about 22 years, and have registered on the donor line. i also give blood and am on the bone marrow transplant lists (anthony nolan and blood donor one). i hope i will be able to continue these things in australia, but somehow dont think so. i think the blood thing is an issue, and dont know about organ donors?

i think the system needs changing and you should carry a card if you DONT want to donate your organs (i think this is the case in USA?).
There is a specific issue with giving blood if you have lived in the UK between 1980 and 1996 (irrespective of what your nationality is).

However - don't automatically assume that it stops you from being an organ donor unless advised specifically otherwise. There is no information to this effect on the relevant websites.

As to whether the 'system' should be changed, it's quite significant step to force people to make the effort of opting-out if they don't want organs used. What should be looked at as a much higher priority is removing relatives right of veto (as opposed to a right to be informed) if someone has made the effort to register as a donor.

I'd think that in the USA this is governed by state laws and hence will vary greatly across the country.

Jeremy
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who lived in the UK during the 1980's cannot give blood in Australia. However, you can donate your organs. I assume they are able to clean said organ so thoroughly it becomes irrelevant what blood has passed through it.

Unfortunately I had a couple of blood transfusions whilst giving birth to first born so cannot give blood in the UK anyway. Used to until they cottoned on the transfusion/CJD perceived link.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

JAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant future

Thank you for your comments & well done you for doing your bit.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:57 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!

We're the same. They can make me hollow inside but leave my appearances as they are thank you. Trouble is, and I feel guilty about this, eyes or rather corneas are one of the hardest organs to get. Yet you're done within the hour. I'm working on my inner fears!!!

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.