Organ Donation

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Organ Donation

Will you be an organ doner when you are in Oz?

I ask this cos I am ashamed to admit that a relative of mine (no prizes for guessing who) turned round and said she would not be an organ doner (she has been here 12 yrs) cos thre is no way an Aussie is getting one of her organs. I find this truly shocking and although I have not got round to doing the deed myself I've got no objections whatsoever to anyone having a bit of me.

Di
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:08 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Organ Donation

Originally posted by DianeOZ

cos thre is no way an Aussie is getting one of her organs.

Oh dear, she sounds very anti-Aussie?

I've got no objections whatsoever to anyone having a bit of me.

EASY TIGER!!!!!

Di
I had a doner card in the UK and would donate what I could here.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Hadn't thought about this before. Do they have an opt-in system like here, or an opt-out one where they will assume your assent unless you have an "non-donor card?"
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:25 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

I think when there was a past thread about dying in OZ many people wanted to either die in Uk or at least be buried there.

I guess they would plan to take their organs with them.

I wouldn't mind what nation got any bits of mine that were still of any use to anyone.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I ask this cos I am ashamed to admit that a relative of mine (no prizes for guessing who) turned round and said she would not be an organ doner (she has been here 12 yrs) cos thre is no way an Aussie is getting one of her organs. I find this truly shocking and although I have not got round to doing the deed myself I've got no objections whatsoever to anyone having a bit of me.

Di
Hi Di,

What you have to ask her is would she accept organs from an Australian or would she let her "loved one" or herself die.

As for me they can do what they want with my bits and pieces. I won't be needing them.

Claire

Ps is it your S-I-L by any chance?
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by claireg3
Hi Di,

What you have to ask her is would she accept organs from an Australian or would she let her "loved one" or herself die.

As for me they can do what they want with my bits and pieces. I won't be needing them.

Claire

Ps is it your S-I-L by any chance?
I accidentally walked in to an anatomy class at the Uni the other day. I came face to face with people who had "donated their bodies to science" - that was wierd.

Anyway I carry a doner card.

I want someone to have my kebab after I die.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:34 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by renth
I accidentally walked in to an anatomy class at the Uni the other day. I came face to face with people who had "donated their bodies to science" - that was wierd.

Anyway I carry a doner card.

I want someone to have my kebab after I die.

I'd donate whatever to whoever Its not gonna be much use to me!!

There is a BUT though. I would NOT donate to science. One of my best mates was a med student, and he said to me NOT to donate my body to science under any circumstances!! He reckons that the students spend half thier time posing thier cadavers, and the other half playing catch with the nipples :scared:
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

In QLd anyway, if you want to donate your bits and pieces it goes on your driving license. May well be the same for other States.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:38 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
In QLd anyway, if you want to donate your bits and pieces it goes on your driving license. May well be the same for other States.
I think its the same in SA....
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Di

A life is a life and if i can save some1else's life then there more than welcome to any part of me!!
I also plan to continue to give blood over there too more people should stop and think about it... what use are your organs to you if your dead and what harm does 30 minutes of your time giving blood do if it means u can save some1's life..you never know whats around the corner and it could be some1 close to you that needs help!
I know every1 has there own view or opinion on these things but hey ...thats mine
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately British people are unable to give blood. At least at this time it is forbidden

From Australian Red Cross site:

Due to the unsubstantiated and unknown risk of transmission of Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD), commonly known as Mad Cow Disease, people who spent a cumulative period of six (6) months or more in the United Kingdom between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1996 or received transfusions of blood or blood products in the United Kingdom from 1 January 1980 to the present, cannot donate blood until further notice.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Hmmmmm well there goes that then
Thanx for the info tho!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it sucks

I've never donated blood in the UK, I was going to start here but after researching it discovered my blood wasn't good enough for them