Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Ordinarily resident' for savings accounts etc

'Ordinarily resident' for savings accounts etc

Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of
Default 'Ordinarily resident' for savings accounts etc

Hi everyone,

I moved to Australia about 2 years ago on the 457 (my partner is australian and we now have the bridging visa to perm res).

However, the long term plan is that we plan to move backward and forward between the UK and here depending on jobs etc.

I'm having problems with updating savings accounts (or opening new ones) in the UK as they always ask if you are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK.

Am I ordinarily resident there? Is it illegal for me to open a savings account in the UK while I am over here?

I have asked aus tax office and financial institutions at home and no-one seems to know a definitive answer. Any help would be great. I assume it's quite a common problem.

Cheers
Matt
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of
Default Re: 'Ordinarily resident' for savings accounts etc

ps I have read this thread which is useful:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...arily+resident

but im still none the wiser on savings accounts
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by big_matt
Hi everyone,

I moved to Australia about 2 years ago on the 457 (my partner is australian and we now have the bridging visa to perm res).

However, the long term plan is that we plan to move backward and forward between the UK and here depending on jobs etc.

I'm having problems with updating savings accounts (or opening new ones) in the UK as they always ask if you are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK.

Am I ordinarily resident there? Is it illegal for me to open a savings account in the UK while I am over here?

I have asked aus tax office and financial institutions at home and no-one seems to know a definitive answer. Any help would be great. I assume it's quite a common problem.

Cheers
Matt
I think that you are "not ordinarily resident". I think you will find that many banks etc. will not let you open an account unless you are a UK resident. Offshore savings accounts - say in the Isle of Man should be ok. Having said that if you go back you should have no problem and (in the case of HSBC and maybe others) you can get interest paid gross by completing their NORD form (not ordinarily resident)

Regards
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much mate. I'm not trying to dodge tax or anything, and am happy with gross, just like the idea of leaving some savings there for when I go home in a year or two.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reasonable
I think that you are "not ordinarily resident". I think you will find that many banks etc. will not let you open an account unless you are a UK resident.
That's a question of bank policy. Not the law.