British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Ordering Books/DVDs/Music/Games online your recommendations please... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ordering-books-dvds-music-games-online-your-recommendations-please-686921/)

Carey77 Sep 25th 2010 10:42 pm

Ordering Books/DVDs/Music/Games online your recommendations please...

I’m about to embark on ordering a few things for delivery over here for the first time. I know there are a few sites that do free delivery but wanted to get a bit of a list of sites that will deliver over here. My family is keen for this too to assist at Christmas times etc.

* Book Depository - free delivery
* CD Wow – free Delivery
* Amazon – not free I know, but still great

MarkandS Sep 25th 2010 11:04 pm

Re: Ordering Books/DVDs/Music/Games online your recommendations please...

I think it depends on what you are ordering, and how much.

If you can order a few books at the same time I would suggest Amazon, though for a single book can be more expensive.

sorry, not alot of help really i suspect.

Pollyana Sep 25th 2010 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Carey77 (Post 8875614)
I’m about to embark on ordering a few things for delivery over here for the first time. I know there are a few sites that do free delivery but wanted to get a bit of a list of sites that will deliver over here. My family is keen for this too to assist at Christmas times etc.

* Book Depository - free delivery
* CD Wow – free Delivery
* Amazon – not free I know, but still great

Book Depository is usually cheaper than Amazon cos of the free delivery, but its worth checking both out, sometimes Amazon wins :)

M&S and Evans will deliver to Aus now :)

Carey77 Sep 26th 2010 12:26 am

What does Amazon charge? I've done a search on there but can't see without going through the whole check out process!

Wendy Sep 26th 2010 12:48 am

I use seekbooks.com.au a lot. It's $6.85 for delivery regardless of how many books you buy, so I generally buy quite a few at once :D

Wol Sep 26th 2010 12:51 am

After it was recommended on this forum some time ago I've used the Book Depository several times and have been very pleased with their very rapid service - plus, when a book is pre-ordered, the way they keep you informed and send it out as soon as it's printed.

The_Wookie Sep 26th 2010 1:24 am

Book Depository for books most definitely. DVDs/music I still use Amazon.

roaringmouse Sep 26th 2010 3:38 am

People may be referring to different sites here without realising, and the difference may also result in it being cheaper or more expensive. There's:

bookdepository.co.uk and bookdepository.com
amazon.co.uk and amazon.com

CDWow also has different addresses, but not sure if there's any difference in the amount they charge.

Another site to the above which I also use is dvd.co.uk

Carey77 Sep 26th 2010 4:15 am

Thanks for the info people.

One more question. Do I have to pay import tax on these items. As I know in the UK I would have to, well certainly on dvds & music anyway....

roaringmouse Sep 26th 2010 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Carey77 (Post 8875947)
One more question. Do I have to pay import tax on these items. As I know in the UK I would have to, well certainly on dvds & music anyway....

Customs info

Pollyana Sep 26th 2010 5:10 am

I've bought up to £100 worth of dvds/cds at one time from UK Amazon and UK Book Depository and never been been done for import tax :)
I don't think there is an easy way to get the postage cost from Amazon.co.uk - you need to go to the last step so you're ready to pay before you can no for sure. Then just come out of the transaction without finalising the sale.

spalen Sep 26th 2010 5:13 am

last time I looked at borders online - they had a "Cheaper than Amazon - Guaranteed"

Pollyana Sep 26th 2010 5:59 am

Originally Posted by spalen (Post 8875979)
last time I looked at borders online - they had a "Cheaper than Amazon - Guaranteed"

Which Amazon? I've compared them in the past couple of weeks with Amazon UK and come down on the side of Amazon - and then found Book Depository UK to be cheaper.

One thing I've learnt here too is that ordering pre-publication is a waste of time for bookshops here - both Dymocks and Borders have let me down on that so I now go straight to Amazon. The Aussie ones have both given me the answer that shops sales come first and orders over the net are only filled afterwards :confused:

spalen Sep 26th 2010 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8876014)
Which Amazon? I've compared them in the past couple of weeks with Amazon UK and come down on the side of Amazon - and then found Book Depository UK to be cheaper.

One thing I've learnt here too is that ordering pre-publication is a waste of time for bookshops here - both Dymocks and Borders have let me down on that so I now go straight to Amazon. The Aussie ones have both given me the answer that shops sales come first and orders over the net are only filled afterwards :confused:

maybe they meant it was cheaper than going to the amazon. Dunno , you know how the aussie competition laws are.

http://www.borders.com.au/borders-price-guarantee

They'll refund you 10% extra if it bought from them and you find it cheaper 'including shipping' from amazon .co.uk or .com

Carey77 Sep 26th 2010 7:03 am

Great, Thanks Pollyana I suppose I could get caught out but hopefully I'll have the same experience as you...it's a gift from my mother anyhow...

Pollyana Sep 26th 2010 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Carey77 (Post 8876091)
Great, Thanks Pollyana I suppose I could get caught out but hopefully I'll have the same experience as you...it's a gift from my mother anyhow...

The one thing I will say for Amazon above the others(even Book Depository) is their speed. Amazon stock usually hits Brisbane in 3 days. Some BD stuff is that quick, but some is a week or more, depending on where its from.
I use Amazon UK a lot for DVDs (make sure you can play region 2 though) and for CDs too - postage is very cheap on those. :thumbup:

Its good in reverse too - order stuff to be delivered direct to friends and family in the UK :)

Petals Sep 26th 2010 8:23 am

Amazon UK also US to a lesser extent. I have had damaged package, another did not arrive and they just replace them no problem.

Also they are so quick. Just so easy to deal with.