Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Optical solution for short sighted bloke in salty water.

Wikiposts

Optical solution for short sighted bloke in salty water.

Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:35 pm
Not two zombies

Mongrol will become famous soon enough
Default Optical solution for short sighted bloke in salty water.

Hi folks,
I have a problem. I have a problem when jumping around salty water in bright sunshine. Due to be a Mr Magoo I take my glasses off. This means that any specularity around me is magnified 10x so when in the water any bright sunshine makes things really glarey. This is ok for about 5 minutes but if I get water in my eyes it gets so glarey I have to run out like a girl and dry my eyes. I plan on taking up surfing so I really need a solution for this. Does anyone else suffer from this sorta thing? Is there such a thing as prescription goggles? Do people ever swim with contact lenses?
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:40 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Optical solution for short sighted bloke in salty water.

Originally Posted by Mongrol
Hi folks,
I have a problem. I have a problem when jumping around salty water in bright sunshine. Due to be a Mr Magoo I take my glasses off. This means that any specularity around me is magnified 10x so when in the water any bright sunshine makes things really glarey. This is ok for about 5 minutes but if I get water in my eyes it gets so glarey I have to run out like a girl and dry my eyes. I plan on taking up surfing so I really need a solution for this. Does anyone else suffer from this sorta thing? Is there such a thing as prescription goggles? Do people ever swim with contact lenses?
I am also short-sighted. I started wearing contact lenses about 12 years ago and they are fine for swimming as long as you except that you might lose one whilst in the water; I don't actually think I ever have but I always assume that I could.

A couple of years ago I was given some presrciption goggles, never worn them though as I am so happy with lenses in. So yes, prescription goggles are available.

Cheers.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

way86 will become famous soon enoughway86 will become famous soon enough

Hi folks,

hi mongrol
i to wear glasses and i use optical mask for scubadiving i think most dive shops will sort you out with some or point you in the right direction of a manufacturer of optical mask or goggles
regards
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I have focus dailies throw-away lenses. I swim with these in and haven't lost any yet. I have only done body surfing though. Thing is with daily lenses, it's no drama if you lose them (financially, I mean) and always carry some spares in your beach bag. I'm presuming that if one lens did float out of your eye you would still be able to tell which way was the beach and which way South America?
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,
You can get prescription goggles however I am unsure of their suitability in surf. Getting dumped is quite a rough experience and could easily separate you from your goggles. I have seen sunglasses designed for surfing that have a spray that disperses water. Not sure if there are prescriptions for them or that they would stay on. Good luck as surfing is great fun. You can get certain prescriptions for Scuba masks but they would be useless surfing.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:16 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi folks,
Hiya Mobgrol,
'm the sxame as you short sighted and I dive with a corrective mask, I never knew there was soo much to see

I plan on getting my eye's "fixed" this year via lazer.
Has anyone else gone this far?

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:43 pm
Not two zombies

Mongrol will become famous soon enough

Cheers for the replies folks. Think I'll have a go at contacts again . Couldn`t wear them before due to my eyelids being too tight. No really!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:14 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Mobgrol,
'm the sxame as you short sighted and I dive with a corrective mask, I never knew there was soo much to see

I plan on getting my eye's "fixed" this year via lazer.
Has anyone else gone this far?

Bye
Mark
Hey Mark,

Had LASIK surgery last Tuesday in Brisbane. The best decision I've made! Wasn't cheap, but worth every cent. I feel like I've got better vision than I had with contact lenses and all it took was 15minutes.

Colin
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:25 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Houdini
Hey Mark,

Had LASIK surgery last Tuesday in Brisbane. The best decision I've made! Wasn't cheap, but worth every cent. I feel like I've got better vision than I had with contact lenses and all it took was 15minutes.

Colin
Thanks Colin,

is that the one where they cut a little flap and remove material from the lense and then put the flap back down?
It supposedly makes the healing process alot quicker.

Did you find any down side to the operation, appart from the cost?

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Houdini
Hey Mark,

Colin
Hi Colin,
Can I be really nosey and ask how much it cost, and where did you go in Brisbane? We are moving to Brisbane in July, and I would like to get it done whilst there. If I had it done in the U.K, I wouldn't be around for any follow up appointments. And another really dumb question (I apologise in advance!), but do they do both eyes at the same time or do you leave a gap in between? I'm assuming you do one eye at a time to make sure that there are no complications before proceeding with the other eye. How long did any pain / discomfort last, and could you see the benefits immediately or was it a bit blurry for a few days?

Regards
Netta
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:10 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Don't know if this is of any help, but this company make stick on lenses for correcting vision. Good for dive masks.
hydrotac

I have been active in the water with my contacts and only lost one once mucking about in the pool. Thankfully it was found in the filter. I use GP lenses, as I am unable to wear the soft/disposable ones. I used to lose them regularly when I first wore them because the curvature was not close enough to that of my eye so even a blink could displace them.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:14 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

I always go in the water with contacts + goggles. I tend to look a bit silly always having the goggles on (esp. when body boarding), but if I lost a lens I'm that blind I don't think I'd find my way back to shore!