Reload this Page >

Opportunities to start a business

Opportunities to start a business

Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

spikeyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opportunities to start a business

We're confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To the envy of everyone else we have visas to go, but on 2 visits last year couldn't find what we wanted.
Fed up with working for someone else and would like to start up business (nothing complicated, may just be a shop), but maybe not brave enough to sell up everything in UK, leaving good jobs to then have the dream spoilt, but don't want to say "what if" in years to come.
Any help how to start this off - anyone else done this?
Searching on internet is difficult - can't easily buy a business on line and the country is so big - you only realise when you get there. don't really know where to start.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Mikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant future
Default Re: Opportunities to start a business

You can buy businesses in Australia. Do a search in yahoo Australia and you can find oodles of business choices. For me, I am trying to buy a petrol station cum shop. Good luck.

Mikail
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

spikeyK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

We've searched on internet, but very difficult to know if what we want. I think we will nedd to go over first - have you been over to check it yourself?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If this is your first time in business then I would seriously suggest seeing the business first before buying it. Will the existing staff stay ? Only a chat to them might confirm this other than the enthusiastic nods of the vendor. Will account customers still use you ? Why is the vendor selling ?

A million and one questions should be raised with any business vendor. To do this from a distance, would in my mind anyway, be rather foolish. Not that it cant work, simply that it will at least confirm the investment as valid or not.

There are heaps of businesses for sale, only a handful of them are worth buying as an investment.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of business brokers around, I can think of at least 4 within 10K's of where we live. Here on the Sunshine Coast people don't seem to keep their businesses very long. I was speaking to a business broker the other day and he says businesses sell every 2 or 3 years on average. This isn't because they are failing, it's because people want to try something else.

Give these guys a call if you want some advice (best on the sunshine coast)

www.coastalbrokers.com.au
Old Jun 17th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Gold Coast Australia used to be known as the small business capital of Australia as lots of migrants arrived here and literally "bought themselves " a job, as it used to be really hard to find work. I think the current situation is a bit different though. My neighbours bought a coffee shop on the coast and said it was the worst business decision they had ever made. They had it on the market for about 4 years,and had to work all the hours they could to make the business look profitable and not pay out too much in staff wages. They have eventually sold and are now in the window screen business and seem to be doing fine. Best to do your homework thoroughly