Reload this Page >

Opportunities Australia Expo UK 2011

Opportunities Australia Expo UK 2011

Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Hessi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Opportunities Australia Expo UK 2011

Hi there,

I am considering going to the Opportunities Australia Expo in London this year and I was wondering if the event provides valuable information.
I am looking for some advice on how to get accredited in my current profession (project planner) with an educational background in industrial engineering (focus: mechanical).

Anyone who has attended such an event, could you please share your experience.

A little of topic, but also something that I haven"t been able to answer myself:
How much money should I consider saving up before making the move?

I am not considering getting a container for the move, just suitcases.

I figured out the costs for visas, and the obvious costs involved, but I am struggling with getting an idea of how much money I would need to sustain a humble and simple life: no partying, public transport, rent, going out maybe once a week--> nothing too fancy,..) for a period of... let's say 6 months without an income, while job-hunting.

any rough estimate is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunities Australia Expo UK 2011

Most people find expos to be a waste of time and effort, there are some exceptions of course. We didn't find anything useful and we left within a very short space of time. Expos seem to be pitched as though there are people coming along who might want to recruit you. In reality the stands are more about trying to sell you something, such as removal or financial services.

You could do a search on expos and I am sure you will find lots of other opinions, the question comes up regularly.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

There are many threads on cost of living in Aus. Primarily it depends on where you will settle, country town vs Sydney will be a huge difference. Start assuming you will need as much as you can possibly save, starting right now. Good idea not to set your sights too high, rather think of sharing a house, cooking at home, packing lunch, taking the bus, etc. Look on the internet for the price ranges of house shares and start from there. Your distance to the CBD will also be a big factor in rental differences.

As for the Expo, in this day and age with the WWW at your fingertips, I think you dont need it.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Thank you Bermudashorts and rozellem for your replies.

I have done some research already and with regards to getting information about what type of visa I am totally with you.
I am having troubles with the assessing body of my degree/occupation and I hope to find some answers at the Expo.

Interesting that the whole event seems to be a sales event. I thought I am offering myself there.

as or cost of living: i came across this: http://www.aussiemove.com/aus/costlive.asp

is anybody able to confirm the figures? If so, maybe it's going to be of help for other forum members...

Cheers
Have a good day.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Irish.chick.to.Aus is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to the Australia Expo in London in Sept and found that it was mainly a sales event. There was a change to get a visa assessment done however the queue had about 50 people in it so I didn't wait. There was a job stand and I gave my details for a few roles. I was contacted after and told that actually they couldn't help me until I had a visa. There were some seminars that were interesting.

Overall while I did learn a couple of things, I went there with the promise of employers so was disappointed.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Irish.chick.to.Aus
I went to the Australia Expo in London in Sept and found that it was mainly a sales event. There was a change to get a visa assessment done however the queue had about 50 people in it so I didn't wait. There was a job stand and I gave my details for a few roles. I was contacted after and told that actually they couldn't help me until I had a visa. There were some seminars that were interesting.

Overall while I did learn a couple of things, I went there with the promise of employers so was disappointed.
Thank you for sharing your experience, Irish.chick.to.Aus. I booked my ticket, prepared my CV and will give it a go. I don't think I will be there the full two days, one day should be enough.
I'll take the opportunity to explore London a bit, too.

Cheers
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:39 am
Just Joined

I spent about 2 hours there which would have been longer if I had queued so one day should be fine. Good luck with your hunt. What job do you do?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:55 am
Just Joined

I spent about 2 hours there which would have been longer if I had queued so one day should be fine. Good luck with your hunt. What job do you do?
Alright, That doesn't sound too bad. I am Project Planning Engineer/Scheduler.

Have you been to AUS before? Did companies follow up after? Where do you stand these days, VISA application wise/job hunt? Any progress? Maybe you are in OZ already?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Opportunities Australia Expo UK 2011

I have only just started the the process. I finished my MBA a few weeks ago so had to focus on getting my final project done. Now it is in I have time to start trying to get out to Aus.

I have never been before but have family and friends out there in various locations. What about you?

I have enough points to apply for permanent visa but it costs so much more and can take years. I want to go sooner so am going to try to get sponsored. I don't know how easy that is going to be as I am an Accountant. You should find it easier as they seem to be looking abroad more for your type of role.

Good luck at the show!
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:21 am
Just Joined

I have only just started the the process. I finished my MBA a few weeks ago so had to focus on getting my final project done. Now it is in I have time to start trying to get out to Aus.

I have never been before but have family and friends out there in various locations. What about you?

I have enough points to apply for permanent visa but it costs so much more and can take years. I want to go sooner so am going to try to get sponsored. I don't know how easy that is going to be as I am an Accountant. You should find it easier as they seem to be looking abroad more for your type of role.

Good luck at the show!
That's awesome! Being an accountant , with the MBA under your belt, you should be able to find a sponsor. I would think so anyways! Is there some sort of (CPA, CMA, ...) that you hold as well?

I have been to OZ three times. I went to uni there for a semester abroad and stayed in the Brisbane/ Gold Coast are when I was there. But I have seen Melbourne and Sydney, as well. Haven't made out west or up to Cairns or Darwin, though.

As far as visa costs and durations go, I totally hear you. I would have to write the IELTS first, then get assessed by Engineers Australia and then I could take care of the actual visa application. It feels so far away! haha

anyway, good luck to you too!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

pontyGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. I was there for that too and it was a waste of time.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Hessi

How did it go? Did you find it useful?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi Hessi

How did it go? Did you find it useful?
So, I did go and I was there for two hours. I think it can be a door opener if you go there knowing that there are actually potential employers.
All the general information about visas and stuff you can do from home, with a cup of coffee instead of going through a stressful expo.

I talked to potential employers and found that actual work experience is what you need! I have about 1+ in my field and that doesn't seem to get myself a job that easily. I am in touch with a bigger company and I have passed two phone interview sessions.
But, I believe that i have to consider myself lucky.

Anyways, it back to 'is it worth or not'? I travelled all the way from Germany to attend and I would do it again cause London is always worth a visit. :-)
the actual outcome is a bit disappointing though. Only because I don"t have enough experience yet, though. With 3+ years in a field/profession that is in demand, companies will pull you right down under.

Cheers