British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Opinions on these few Brisbane suburbs please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/opinions-these-few-brisbane-suburbs-please-727985/)

sutty77 Aug 9th 2011 8:43 am

Opinions on these few Brisbane suburbs please.

Hi all.

Heading to Brisbane year after next when my eldest has finished high school here in the UK.

Been looking at these few suburbs...

Deception Bay
Woody Point
Redcliffe
North Lakes

We are a family of 5, 3 girls aged 14, 12, 3. so looking for your average family living suburb.

Any opinions welcome.:thumbsup:

moneypenny20 Aug 9th 2011 8:47 am

Re: Opinions on these few Brisbane suburbs please.

Have added the city to your title, should make it easier for people.:) There's been a few threads in the past few months on Brisbane suburbs, could be worth having a search as well. - If you haven't already of course. :D

JAMFC Aug 9th 2011 9:21 am

Deception Bay - Cheap area but I would never live live there by choice.
Redcliffe & Woody Point, both nice older suburbs close to the water.
North Lakes - very new 'planned' town. Not my cup of tea but lots of Brits like it. 20 mins to the Redcliffe beaches.

lazylou123 Aug 9th 2011 11:13 am

Hi Mandy

I remember talking to you on here back in mid-2008, we have been here over 2 yrs now. regarding your question

Deception Bay - wouldn't live there personally, very cheap
Redcliffe and Woody Point - very nice older areas, close to the sea and we visit all the time
North Lakes - we live here, lots of new houses currently being built, not badly priced if renting though I do find them expensive if buying (very small plots), close to the highway so easy to get to the coasts

any questions just ask

Louisa

KJCherokee Aug 9th 2011 10:35 pm

North Lakes has a large shopping mall which observation at other malls tells me is where 12 and 14yo girls like to hang out - if that influences your decision at all!

Where are you likely to be working? Personally I wouldn't want to commute daily towards Brisbane from any of those areas as there is no train service and the roads can be a nightmare, but plenty do: a matter of personal choice I suppose.

JAMFC Aug 10th 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 9548867)
Where are you likely to be working? Personally I wouldn't want to commute daily towards Brisbane from any of those areas as there is no train service and the roads can be a nightmare, but plenty do: a matter of personal choice I suppose.

OP isn't coming until year after next - will the train line be in by then? Would be most benefit to North Lakes but Redcliffe and Woody Point will also be close enough to Kippa Ring station.

jad n rich Aug 10th 2011 12:16 am

Woody point:thumbup:

Lived there for a year when partner was working in north brisbane, he was leaving early (building industry ) so didnt find commute a problem at all. New bridge open now and train on the way.

Everything in easy reach. From restaurants, pubs, village, historic stuff, bike paths, bbq's, hospitals, beach to huge shops, olympic iceskating, international and domestic airport. You are also within easy reach of several areas to look for work, CBD, caboolture, north bris, airport area, plus the area itself is full of development too.

Prices are a joke too:thumbsup: very cheap, compared to GC, SC let alone interstate.

KJCherokee Aug 10th 2011 1:44 am

Originally Posted by JAMFC (Post 9549032)
OP isn't coming until year after next - will the train line be in by then? .

Don't hold your breath! Putting it in was an election promise which hasn't yet been converted to any sort of action.

asprilla Aug 10th 2011 3:44 am

Originally Posted by sutty77 (Post 9546762)
Hi all.

Heading to Brisbane year after next when my eldest has finished high school here in the UK.

Been looking at these few suburbs...

Deception Bay
Woody Point
Redcliffe
North Lakes

We are a family of 5, 3 girls aged 14, 12, 3. so looking for your average family living suburb.

Any opinions welcome.:thumbsup:

I would avoid deception bay and probably also the northern section of North Lakes, purely because of proximity to NIE.

http://redcliffe-and-bayside-herald....strial-estate/

bingobob777 Aug 10th 2011 4:00 am

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 9549197)
Don't hold your breath! Putting it in was an election promise which hasn't yet been converted to any sort of action.

Expressions of Interest have been sought for Moreton Bay Rail Link with a view to starting design work early net year.

bananalana Aug 10th 2011 12:18 pm

We are moving up from Sydney in 2 weeks.

I was initially looking at some of those suburbs and going on what I found about Deception Bay, I wouldnt go there myself.

Redcliffe and Woody Point were high on our list, though getting to CBD was going to be a pain. I drove out there on the one day I went to brisbane and it is lovely along the waterfront

North Lakes looks to be all new houses for cheap...a bit Mc Mansion if you ask me.

We have ended up with a house in a completely different suburb than we were lookign at LOL

I arrive in 2 weeks and will be going for a bit of a nosy at the different areas so I can view it with some fresh "brand new to Brissy" eyes and post ya an update.

KJCherokee Aug 11th 2011 2:12 am

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 9549404)
Expressions of Interest have been sought for Moreton Bay Rail Link with a view to starting design work early net year.

Which means the trains might be running by 2017 if you're optimistic.

JAMFC Aug 11th 2011 4:27 am

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 9551805)
Which means the trains might be running by 2017 if you're optimistic.

2016 if being really optimistic:
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/04...une%202011.pdf