Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

opinions of previous london expo's

opinions of previous london expo's

Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Sideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really nice
Default opinions of previous london expo's

As we are approaching this year's expo in London and the fact that it will be the first one for us, i am looking for all your opinions on previous expo's.

Are there many employers there and what sort of industry do they tend to be ?

Generally how useful have you found the expo ?

Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:32 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opinions of previous london expo's

Originally Posted by Sideys
As we are approaching this year's expo in London and the fact that it will be the first one for us, i am looking for all your opinions on previous expo's.

Also will be going on the 2nd for the first time. What of you?
Old Mar 26th 2006, 10:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: opinions of previous london expo's

I reckon the Great London Exposition of 1862 wins hands down.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 10:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: opinions of previous london expo's

I went to the last one in Earls Court. The best thing for me was that DIMA staff were there and I could ask them face to face questions which was excellent. As far as employment goes, if you have a medical or engineering profession you won't be able to move for employers falling over you, any other skills don't feature much.

The regional governments are also there so if you want any specific info on a particular area or you are applying for STNI / SIR this is useful.

It's very small - only about 40 stands and I reckon will take you about 1 - 1.5 hours to get round unless you have to queue for ages to see DIMA.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2006, 12:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I found it more helpful than the Sandown effort which I thought was a complete waste of time. At the expo ther were actual employers & employment agencies to talk to.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 1:59 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: opinions of previous london expo's

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I found it more helpful than the Sandown effort which I thought was a complete waste of time.
agreed

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2006, 2:32 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Went to Earls Court, only useful bit was the DIMIA talk as you could speak one to one.

Not much else was much use, lots of property selling companies but i would rather do that in Oz than off plan from Uk.

Was not as good as I though it would of been.

Get much more useful info from this site than the Expo!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

If you live in London, arein Engineering or medical or need to speak to DIMIA you may just get your monies worth. If not and especially if you are in a trade, don't bother massive waste of time - stick with this site.

bruce.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 6:40 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was rubbish, the information available was OK but I was also mislead, I won't go again and found this site much more informative than any EXPO.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I've been to three in all now. The Fresh Start Show (Excel Centre), Skills4Oz (Australia House) and the Opportunities Australia (Earl's Court). I will be going again next week.

I have found them very good as you can always pick up some advice and make a few contacts. I've always gone armed with copies of my CV and dished them out to whoever would take them. To date I have had two telephone interviews, one just last week. All good experience if nothing else.

It's a day out after all. Me and my mate will be having a few beers afterwards.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Sideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really nice

Thanks for the replies, we are going for the first time, we went to the emigrate thing in Glasgow but found it to be basic.
We are applying for the skilled visa as i am a Mechanical fitter working for the last 10 yrs in the food and drink manufacturing industry.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies, we are going for the first time, we went to the emigrate thing in Glasgow but found it to be basic.
We are applying for the skilled visa as i am a Mechanical fitter working for the last 10 yrs in the food and drink manufacturing industry.
I am also a Mech Fitter. They are very interested in engineering people and medical staff. It was nice to see the IT crowd getting the cold shoulder . However, they promise you everything and deliver nothing :scared: , if you are a "heavy duty diesel fitter" they will drag you out the fire exit into a waiting plane and wisk you off to Aus. Other than that its quite interesting, I have had to 2 telephone interviews, and a lot of hassle from HIFX (exchanged lot of money last week at 2.411, 2.457 today, lost me £1800 in 1 week ).
Its a nice day out if anything.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Talking Re: opinions of previous london expo's

Originally Posted by The S's
It was nice to see the IT crowd getting the cold shoulder .
May your internet connection fail forever, your email client become corrupt and the photos you have stored on your hard drive disappear.

(old "IT crowd" curse....)

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 27th 2006, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Yes i agree, nice to see the IT squad getting the cold shoulder.

P.S Nothing personal !!