Reload this Page >

Opinions on Perth areas

Opinions on Perth areas

Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinions on Perth areas

Opinions on Perth areas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Folks,

I have put together a summary of opinions I have found on this website and aussiemove regarding areas in Perth. Might be useful for some people moving there or thinking of it. I have not been there before and am going on a reccy in Feb. I would appreciate any further comments on these areas.
Thanks,.
Dave

GOOD/OK

Have a look at Atwell, Success, Coogee and Hamilton Hill. All relatively near to the beach. Good for families, and will have good public transport.

North has loads of new estates and suburbs cropping up all the time, Hillarys, Clarkson that way on.
South of River you have places like Canning Vale, South Lakes, Bibra Lake, North Lake.

Some say Merriwa is the "Balga of the North" (Merriwa is close to Mindarie, a
very nice, upmarket beach suburb quite far north).

Churchlands Very nice suburb, sitting between Wembley golf complex to the west and Herdsman lake to the east and with a number of schools and the ECU university campus, there's plenty of grassy areas and trees around. Older housing stock is good quality and streets have mature gardens and trees. A couple of newer, up market estates around the lake.

Doubleview is located 10km north-west of Perth CBD and 2-3km from the beach at Scarborough. The suburb sits on the brow of a hill, allowing it views to the ocean on the one side and views to the city on the other, hence the name of Doubleview.

Mindarie - Great Marina with Pub nice spot
Quinns - old and new part , is nice quiet coastal suburb used to be a holiday spot
Jindalee - not yet developed will be pricy
Brighton - the only part worth buying into is road going down to the sea in Jindalee

If you want a beach area go to North Mindaire or Quinns.
Ocean Reef - good parts and average in places
Iluka- looked after because of extra charge on rates there. Good but the rates are expensive no bargains
Mullaloo - varies beach front good forget the rest.
WATERMAN - good but can be pricy

Marmion is a small suburb with something of a "village" feel because of it's well-used central shopping area and a lovely park (Braden Park). Marmion was established as a new subdivision (residential development) in the '70s and much of the housing is typical 70's architecture, much like in neighbouring Duncraig. Lots of renovation going on to bring the housing up to date. Although quite pricey, Marmion is still comparatively good value for a beachside suburb - nowhere near as expensive as Waterman.

You have to head a lot further south to start getting into really nice areas - Rockingham and south..
If you stick to suburbs along the Swan and Canning rivers, you should be perfectly fine although these are the pricier of the southern suburbs. Then there are pockets of nice suburbs between the river and further south. The area is developing more and more with a large new residential base around the Canningvale area.

Bicton's nice (pricy), Palmyra's fine and Wilagee is genuinely on the up. Also White Gum Valley. Hamilton Hill, not too bad. Suburbs on the new Mandurah line will grow in value.

Move inland a little, nice suburbs "less exspensive" Ballajura, Alexander Heights, Landsdale, Ellenbrook, Duncraig, Warwick, Woodvale etc. these suburbs are about 15-20 min from the beach and they are relatively nice places to live "north of the Swan River river", ... North of the river tends to have more facilities as in transport by rail.

Perth, hmm.. only lived there all my life if you can afford it, go for someplace either on, or relatively near the beach. Or,if you still want a cool breeze, live south of the river, in say, Como, Rivervale, Applecross, Kewdale, Victoria park...ya get the northerly winds blowing over the river, and the wind cools.. same with the easterlies, and the westerlies are just beautiful. but for ultimate pleasure, Fremantle is the place to be... just not too close to the harbour, because on wednesdays and fridays, ya get the smell of the sheep/cattle being loaded onto the boats. If ya want north of river, go Balcatta, Trigg, Scarborough, North Beach, Cottesloe, Swanbourne and those areas... very nice.

BAD/iffy

Avoid: Balga, Girrawheen, Mirrabooka, Koondoola, Leda, Parmelia. Others that
are iffy: Thornlie, Maddington, some parts of Bayswater and Nollamara. Midland & Armadale can be
a bit rough, as well as north and east sections of Rockingham.

Connelly is over priced and Currambine is patchy some good some very average., stick with beach side of the Marmion.
Forget Clarkson , Beldon , Kinross all the wrong side of the Marmion .
Beldon - Past its sell by date
Kinross - nice location next to city rubbish tip
Clarkson - Rough dump
HEATHRIDGE - not worth looking at, big blocks small homes very down market
BURNS - nothing there to buy as yet (very few homes) but there is expensive blocks coming up
YANCHEP - long way away but may be worth buying into...

In the south I would avoid Hilton and surrounding suburbs. These are close to Freo (just southeast) but have a higher than average crime problem. Further south, avoid anything near the Naval Base and Kwinana (heavy industrial area).

Thornlie and Maddington are iffy.

Suburbs to stay away from would be Balga, Girraween, Mirribooka, Armadale, Gosnells, Midland, Lynwood, Thornlie
there generally more cheaper housing "if you get my drift"....
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:19 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on Perth areas

Originally Posted by davebwithane

Move inland a little, nice suburbs "less exspensive" Ballajura, Alexander Heights, Landsdale, Ellenbrook, Duncraig, Warwick, Woodvale etc. these suburbs are about 15-20 min from the beach and they are relatively nice places to live "north of the Swan River river", ... North of the river tends to have more facilities as in transport by rail.
15 minutes to the beach? Walking? It takes me 4 minutes to get to Sorrento Beach and 8 to Hillarys/Trigg and we are on the edge of Duncraig (Warwick side.)
Suppose it all depends on what beach you want to go to. Scarborough is about 15 minutes drive if you want to go that way and Cottesloe 20-25 depending on traffic.

Duncraig and Warwick are WAY futher west than Ballajura, Ellenbrook, Woodvale and Landsdale. Takes me about 20 minutes to get to Ballajura and 10 to Landsdale (of course adding that time from there to the beach makes your estimate about right.)

I know, I know...I'm anal...LOL But you do want the info to be accurate, no?
Most suburbs west ot the freeway are less than 10 minutes to a beach. Though not all of them are desirable areas.

Siren
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Opinions on Perth areas

I live in Kinross. If you visited Kinross and didn't go any further up you wouldn't know the Tip was there. I live on the newer side, even further from Marmion Avenue, and yes it is on the wrong side, but value for money wise, it's a great place to live. 10 mins in the car from Burns Beach - ok so it's not the best beach, but then it's 20 mins to Mullaloo. 10 mins walk from the train station, the same to Kinross College and primary school. Lovely area - no dodgy part to it. I really don't know what the fuss is about the Tip being up the road. There are no ill effects from it (not that we've had anyway). No smells or pests. Ideally I would love to live in Iluka or Mindarie but let's be honest, how many of us can afford the prices. You can live in these places and still not be able to see the sea - if I'm paying those prices I want a sea view at least!
Just thought I'd add my opinion anyway.
Cheers.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:19 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave

A handy breakdown of some of the Perth Suburbs, Dont forget though everyone has their own opinions of what constitutes "nice" (and bad/iffy...)
It's useful to have ideas before you get here, and other people already in the environment can definitely give you first hand knowledge, but it doesnt necessarily mean you'll think the same when you see it, I wouldnt rule anything out until you've seen it first hand.

A lot will depend on what you want out of where you'll live, and unless your in a very fortunate situation what you can afford.

When I came my preference was to live as close to what I considered the nicest beaches, to live in the best suburb I could afford and to be within about 15 mins drive of the city, ideally with a train link in and some sort of small shopping/dining community.
This didnt leave that many choices, and as there all the sort of things that add value to a suburb, price was really the deciding factor.
Cottesloe would probably of been the best fit, but unless I had around a million and half dollars I was unlikely to get something I'd want to live in. (so that ruled that out )

In the end we went for City Beach, slightly further up the coast near to what I consider the two best beaches (City Beach & Trigg) no Train line (but does have a direct bus route into Perth, not to Fremantle though) does have some shops etc. bigger plots of land and no subdividing is allowed so you dont end up crammed on a housing estate with loads of Duplex's (a block of land that had one house thats been demolished and split into two blocks normally one in front of the other with a house on each)
No regrets on this choice for me.

There's a City Beach snapshot to add to your list!

Other suburbs around my area that havent been mentioned are Wembley Downs, a bit behind City Beach, dont think it had a great reputation in the past for some reason(correct me if im wrong) a fair bit cheaper than CB, duplex blocks allowed which is probably part of the reason.
Also there's Floreat which I think is a fairly undervalued suburb for the area, Woodlands is another area where prices seem to of picked up in the past year or so.
Further South (as in still north of Fremantle but below Scarborough) there numerous other suburbs not really mentioned,(generally known as the Western Suburbs) Cottesloe (that I spoke about before) Swanbourne, Mosman Park, Claremont, Pepermint Grove, Shenton Park, Mount Claremont, Jolimont, Subiaco, Daglish etc etc.
All have differing levels of appeal depending on what you want and unltimately what you can afford.

Enjoy your trip over next month, I hope you like it hot
My tip would be, rent a car with good aircon and rent it with unlimited KM's as your gonna cover a fair few trying to get round to see that lot listed above
Regards
Steve
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

A good idea for a post, but take everything with a huge pinch of salt Ask lots of questions of the locals and you will get a feel for the place just being here.
ATB
Larissa
PS Don't understand all this about the right/wrong side of Marmion Avenue. Judge for yourself when you're here.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We also live in Kinross and are very happy here.
All suburbs have good and bad points, take todays local paper. Lots in it about reckless driving in and around Hilaries.

as for Kinross being close to the tip, back in England , one of the most expensive places to live, a bit like Londons Docklands, was built on the site of a tip?????
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Clarkson USED to be a rough dump. But my house in the said rough dump has gone up 50% in value in less than 2 years and we are blissfully happy here. As Larissa says - interesting but take with a pinch of salt.

Diane
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the comments so far. Like I say, I've never been to Perth and these are not my opinions.

I'm not ruling anywhere out and I appreciate that people's tastes differ.

I quite fancy living in the hills. Is it cooler up that way in the summer ?

Any comments on Brookdale or Armidale ? Very cheap houses out that way...
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by steve99
Hi Dave

A handy breakdown of some of the Perth Suburbs, Dont forget though everyone has their own opinions of what constitutes "nice" (and bad/iffy...)
It's useful to have ideas before you get here, and other people already in the environment can definitely give you first hand knowledge, but it doesnt necessarily mean you'll think the same when you see it, I wouldnt rule anything out until you've seen it first hand.

A lot will depend on what you want out of where you'll live, and unless your in a very fortunate situation what you can afford.

When I came my preference was to live as close to what I considered the nicest beaches, to live in the best suburb I could afford and to be within about 15 mins drive of the city, ideally with a train link in and some sort of small shopping/dining community.
This didnt leave that many choices, and as there all the sort of things that add value to a suburb, price was really the deciding factor.
Cottesloe would probably of been the best fit, but unless I had around a million and half dollars I was unlikely to get something I'd want to live in. (so that ruled that out )

In the end we went for City Beach, slightly further up the coast near to what I consider the two best beaches (City Beach & Trigg) no Train line (but does have a direct bus route into Perth, not to Fremantle though) does have some shops etc. bigger plots of land and no subdividing is allowed so you dont end up crammed on a housing estate with loads of Duplex's (a block of land that had one house thats been demolished and split into two blocks normally one in front of the other with a house on each)
No regrets on this choice for me.

There's a City Beach snapshot to add to your list!

Other suburbs around my area that havent been mentioned are Wembley Downs, a bit behind City Beach, dont think it had a great reputation in the past for some reason(correct me if im wrong) a fair bit cheaper than CB, duplex blocks allowed which is probably part of the reason.
Also there's Floreat which I think is a fairly undervalued suburb for the area, Woodlands is another area where prices seem to of picked up in the past year or so.
Further South (as in still north of Fremantle but below Scarborough) there numerous other suburbs not really mentioned,(generally known as the Western Suburbs) Cottesloe (that I spoke about before) Swanbourne, Mosman Park, Claremont, Pepermint Grove, Shenton Park, Mount Claremont, Jolimont, Subiaco, Daglish etc etc.
All have differing levels of appeal depending on what you want and unltimately what you can afford.

Enjoy your trip over next month, I hope you like it hot
My tip would be, rent a car with good aircon and rent it with unlimited KM's as your gonna cover a fair few trying to get round to see that lot listed above
Regards
Steve

We have been here for about 5 weeks and have looked at City Beach but found it quite expensive - understandably! We have been looking at Hilarys ( but far as we might be working south of river) but have recently looked at scarborough. I hear scarborough is a bit hit and miss but have not worked out why? what is your opinion? Have also looked at Floreat and churchlands.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

A great thread..thanks (thinking about moving to Perth and going on a validation holiday in June).

SS
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:17 am
PommieLeague

For the umpteenth time, Girrawheen, Balga, Mirrabooka, Ballajura, Westfield, Koondoola and so and really NICE suburbs!!
How many times do I have to answer this question?

Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:20 am
PommieLeague

In the south I would avoid Hilton and surrounding suburbs. These are close to Freo (just southeast) but have a higher than average crime problem. Further south, avoid anything near the Naval Base and Kwinana (heavy industrial area).

Thornlie and Maddington are iffy.

Suburbs to stay away from would be Balga, Girraween, Mirribooka, Armadale, Gosnells, Midland, Lynwood, Thornlie
there generally more cheaper housing "if you get my drift"....

A very snobby attitude one thinks. Not everyone who migrates to Perth can afford to live in these 'upmarket' areas you have mentioned, so consider the working classes will you.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I see - I thought the words Rough Dump rang bells from the days of Pommie Bastard. Anyway, no - the hills will be even hotter in the summer and even colder in the winter. My hubbie works with a chap who lives there and he actually had to scrape the ice from his car in the morning last winter.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments so far. Like I say, I've never been to Perth and these are not my opinions.

I'm not ruling anywhere out and I appreciate that people's tastes differ.

I quite fancy living in the hills. Is it cooler up that way in the summer ?

Any comments on Brookdale or Armidale ? Very cheap houses out that way...
I like the hills, some of it is really beautiful and quite different in scenary to the coast. In particular I liked Mundaring, it has a small town feel, but it is quite a drive from Perth, so it would depend on what line of work you're in. I'm also building up friends over here, so would have to consider starting over if we went there.
Armadale is lovely, some of the houses have little cottage gardens. However, it lies in a dip, so doesn't catch much of the breeze. You need to decide for yourself whether this bothers you; perhaps you'll have aircon and won't need to work out in it? My distant cousin frowned on Armadale and said that there were racial tensions, but I really wouldn't be able to comment on the truth of this... but it's often said I think, which is a shame. I don't know why people are so bothered about this, up to you I guess. However, our mates once owned a property out that way and loved it there.
Kalamunda is supposed to be very pretty with lovely views of Perth city, plus it isn't too far. It's getting more expensive though. I also think that there's a lot of "alternative" lifestyle people in the hills- artists etc. which adds appeal to me.
RE the hills being cooler in summer - a lot would depend on where exactly you mean. Here in Perth we benefit a lot in summer from the Freemantle doctor, the wind that comes off the Indian Ocean. I think that often it would be unbearably hot if the wind didn't kick up in the afternoon. I'm not sure how far out it looses the effect.
ATB
Larissa
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:31 am
Just Joined

ajec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by salonit
We have been here for about 5 weeks and have looked at City Beach but found it quite expensive - understandably! We have been looking at Hilarys ( but far as we might be working south of river) but have recently looked at scarborough. I hear scarborough is a bit hit and miss but have not worked out why? what is your opinion? Have also looked at Floreat and churchlands.

Parts of Scarborough have higher density housing than other areas you mentioned so there's quite a few smaller units on small blocks - this combined with being on the coast means that there is a lot of rentals in the area. Some people might find it noisier than other suburbs. The area south of Scarborough Beach Rd is generally considered to be preferable (although depends on what you're after) - probably because of it's proximity to City Beach. We're in Wembley Downs and enjoy the established feel of the area, and are still close to beach. As has been previously mentioned, Wembely Downs is slightly chepaer than City Beach or Floreat (although is catching up!) Hope this hleps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.