Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opinions: Cost of living comparison Brisbane vs Perth

Opinions: Cost of living comparison Brisbane vs Perth

Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Opinions: Cost of living comparison Brisbane vs Perth

I know that it is impossible to do an imperical comparison as there are so many influencing factors, so I am looking for opinions only What is YOUR view on the cost of living in Brisbane versus Perth. Taking into account in your thinking the high cost of housing in Perth (offset by better salaries?), education, cost of basics, tranportation etc.....
Are they both about the same at the end of the day....or is there one clear "winner"?
Any thoughts appreciated....

Nix
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Re: Opinions: Cost of living comparison Brisbane vs Perth

I see no one has any thoughts or opinions on this one......seems it is not as "black and white" as I maybe thought.....and that is good.
I guess that I am leaning towards Perth for personal reasons (family, friends etc), but am put off by the high cost of housing and don't want to put myself in a pickle finanically simply becuase I want to live near close friends. If it was significantly easier in Brisbane, it would be a strong motivator to consider Brisbane as I know that we would settle socially in time...
I guess I was looking to you all to "validate" the Perth route....and no one can do that!

Any opinions on this topic would still be welcome !

Nix
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

you know you will only attract the whingers from Bris and Perth for this one.

And will eventually end up a mixed up joke.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

You probably are right......and that was not the intention. It was purely meant to be a financial discussion, not an emotive one.

If you look at the cost of living calculator that Mike and Kathy posted (http://www.australia-migration.com/p...or/95:thumbup:), it would argue that Perth and Brisbane are roughly the same. I suppose there is no emperical measurement on this one....
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

I'd really says depends on your income,

Both places are Cities, so you cut the cloth and live where you can afford and would like to.

Property prices are up there, but arent they everywhere.

I could go on about food, but its about the same as here, but again depends where you shop and what you eat....
Old Sep 1st 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
I see no one has any thoughts or opinions on this one......seems it is not as "black and white" as I maybe thought.....and that is good.
I guess that I am leaning towards Perth for personal reasons (family, friends etc), but am put off by the high cost of housing and don't want to put myself in a pickle finanically simply becuase I want to live near close friends. If it was significantly easier in Brisbane, it would be a strong motivator to consider Brisbane as I know that we would settle socially in time...
I guess I was looking to you all to "validate" the Perth route....and no one can do that!

Any opinions on this topic would still be welcome !

Nix
Don't be put off Perth by the seemingly high cost of housing............ it is a 'buyer's market' at the moment and there is many a bargain to be had........ if you now what to look for?

I picked up 10 acres of land a few weeks ago for less than $280K. If that's not worth well over $1.0m in 3 to 4 years then I want rooting with a ragman's trumpet because I have failed to do my homework?

My vendors have reduced the price on their block of land i have currently on the market at the prestigious Beaumaris Beach Estate at Iluka.

They were seeking offers circa $570K give or take a few bob............. but have now against my advice reduced the price to $530K?

Today I received two offers for the land and it looks like they will accept the one close to the reduced asking price.

Yet 15 months ago i sold a block on the same prestigious estate for $555K ....... and it wasn't as nice re street appeal........ and nor was it as close to the beach as this block is......... but it sold for $30 odd grand more 15 months ago!!!

Some of the asking prices for property here in Perth are bordering on the ridiculous............... the solution is.....don't buy them; at least not until the vendor returns from dreamland!

Please don't believe everything you read in the papers?

Come and have a good look around and then decide where you want to live; after you have gleaned first hand information for yourself?

Best of luck with wherever you do choose to live......... hope everything works out for you. Either way............ you won't regret moving down-under.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Don't be put off Perth by the seemingly high cost of housing............ it is a 'buyer's market' at the moment and there is many a bargain to be had........ if you now what to look for?

I picked up 10 acres of land a few weeks ago for less than $280K. If that's not worth well over $1.0m in 3 to 4 years then I want rooting with a ragman's trumpet because I have failed to do my homework?

My vendors have reduced the price on their block of land i have currently on the market at the prestigious Beaumaris Beach Estate at Iluka.

They were seeking offers circa $570K give or take a few bob............. but have now against my advice reduced the price to $530K?

Today I received two offers for the land and it looks like they will accept the one close to the reduced asking price.

Yet 15 months ago i sold a block on the same prestigious estate for $555K ....... and it wasn't as nice re street appeal........ and nor was it as close to the beach as this block is......... but it sold for $30 odd grand more 15 months ago!!!

Some of the asking prices for property here in Perth are bordering on the ridiculous............... the solution is.....don't buy them; at least not until the vendor returns from dreamland!

Please don't believe everything you read in the papers?

Come and have a good look around and then decide where you want to live; after you have gleaned first hand information for yourself?

Best of luck with wherever you do choose to live......... hope everything works out for you. Either way............ you won't regret moving down-under.
Bobcat can I ask your advice on something? As a general rule in the current climate and for non-coastal, non-river suburbs, how much below asking price would a reasonable offer be?

I know, a piece of string and all that, but say a house in a suburb like Duncraig or Kingsley is on for $550K, how much has that been inflated by either the vendor or the agent?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Bobcat can I ask your advice on something? As a general rule in the current climate and for non-coastal, non-river suburbs, how much below asking price would a reasonable offer be?

I know, a piece of string and all that, but say a house in a suburb like Duncraig or Kingsley is on for $550K, how much has that been inflated by either the vendor or the agent?
Without seeing the house in question and without knowing the history of same........... it really is hard to gauge as there is no general rule of thumb to work to across the board?

It all depends on how motivated the vendors are......... how long the property has been on the market......what is their reason for selling.......... what their circumstances are etc etc?

Obviously; under normal circumstances when a potential buyer comes in with a stupid offer.......... the vendor is somewhat insulted and could feel justified in ripping the offer in two

At present these are not normal circumstances so from a buyer's point of view a 'cheeky offer' can, and quite often does pay handsome dividends!!

Re what is a fair offer to make on a property in the two suburbs you mention; I'd have to thoroughly research a particular property first and advise accordingly?

Last month I acted as a 'buyer's agent' for clients of mine NOR. We offered $270K less than what the vendor indicated she would take.......... when the counter offer came back to us............. I put two lines through the contract and inserted " OFFER WITHDRAWN"....... and we left it at that?

The counter offer that came back was stupid, very unrealistic....... and idiotic to boot! I advised my clients to leave it be.......... and see what happens? That was hard for them to do because they really wanted the property, but, after 'pretending' we had gone cold....... and after us showing a seemingly total lack of interest in the property............ we were approached with what was now a most reasonable sale price?

We did a bit more ummmming and ahhhing and put in a revised FIRST & FINAL OFFER (meaning take it or leave it?).......... and we got it for $580K which was $190K less than what the vendor wanted

Hope this puts you in the picture to a degree?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Without seeing the house in question and without knowing the history of same........... it really is hard to gauge as there is no general rule of thumb to work to across the board?

It all depends on how motivated the vendors are......... how long the property has been on the market......what is their reason for selling.......... what their circumstances are etc etc?

Obviously; under normal circumstances when a potential buyer comes in with a stupid offer.......... the vendor is somewhat insulted and could feel justified in ripping the offer in two

At present these are not normal circumstances so from a buyer's point of view a 'cheeky offer' can, and quite often does pay handsome dividends!!

Re what is a fair offer to make on a property in the two suburbs you mention; I'd have to thoroughly research a particular property first and advise accordingly?

Last month I acted as a 'buyer's agent' for clients of mine NOR. We offered $270K less than what the vendor indicated she would take.......... when the counter offer came back to us............. I put two lines through the contract and inserted " OFFER WITHDRAWN"....... and we left it at that?

The counter offer that came back was stupid, very unrealistic....... and idiotic to boot! I advised my clients to leave it be.......... and see what happens? That was hard for them to do because they really wanted the property, but, after 'pretending' we had gone cold....... and after us showing a seemingly total lack of interest in the property............ we were approached with what was now a most reasonable sale price?

We did a bit more ummmming and ahhhing and put in a revised FIRST & FINAL OFFER (meaning take it or leave it?).......... and we got it for $580K which was $190K less than what the vendor wanted

Hope this puts you in the picture to a degree?
Fabulous - thanks for the time taken to put this reply together.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bobcat - some very postive insight......thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
Exactly what I was looking for........!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
I know that it is impossible to do an imperical comparison as there are so many influencing factors, so I am looking for opinions only What is YOUR view on the cost of living in Brisbane versus Perth. Taking into account in your thinking the high cost of housing in Perth (offset by better salaries?), education, cost of basics, tranportation etc.....
Are they both about the same at the end of the day....or is there one clear "winner"?
Any thoughts appreciated....

Nix
I reckon the COL in both places is roughly the same. Food is expensive all over Australia. Fuel is roughly the same too. The average Legoland 4x2 in a 'nicer' suburb would be roughly the same - give or take $20-40k. Salaries are possibly a bit higher in Perth but I reckon there is not much in it.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:22 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

My old boss moved Perth to Brissie a few months ago and he reckoned he would make anything up to $100K on the price of a house (he probably had a $600K house in Perth). His income was protected because he moved with the company, otherwise he reckoned the salary would have been less to go with it though.