Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

opening oZ bank account whilst still in uk?

opening oZ bank account whilst still in uk?

Old May 30th 2004, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default opening oZ bank account whilst still in uk?

Hoping to move before end of year,is this advisable? was wondering if this would help the credit history problem that some encounter?
With hsbc here,would putting money in same in Oz for 6mnths make any difference?
Thanks in advance
Mark?
Old May 30th 2004, 7:05 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Load of posts previously about this mate. It is possible and some people seem to have had mixed responses from HSBC here when they have tried to open HSBC accounts in OZ. It seems that some people succeed while others dont.

I have a CommBank account in London that I will be using just to transfer my money to when I go and then I will be opening a new account when I get to Melbourne with my preferred bank.

Do a search on my name and in one of my posts there is one to do with banking and it gives the telephone number for the International Banking Centre for HSBC in London.
Old May 30th 2004, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ianj
Load of posts previously about this mate. It is possible and some people seem to have had mixed responses from HSBC here when they have tried to open HSBC accounts in OZ. It seems that some people succeed while others dont......
You make it sound quite hit and miss.

As you say there are plenty of posts about accounts on here, including ones such as how to successfully open it.

To Mark:
Follow the advice given in previous posts and you won't have a problem with opening.

I can't remember reading any posts that suggest having money deposited with an Australian for 6 months will address any 'credit history problems'. In fact, you're probably creating a little more work for yourself when considering withholding tax will be charged.

If you've got something particular in mind (mortgages, loans, credit cards etc) do a specific search on here - there's loads of good info to be digested.
Old May 30th 2004, 8:18 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: opening oZ bank account whilst still in uk?

Originally posted by windsurfer uk
Hoping to move before end of year,is this advisable? was wondering if this would help the credit history problem that some encounter?
With hsbc here,would putting money in same in Oz for 6mnths make any difference?
Thanks in advance
Mark?
Hiya Mark

You can open a Westpac account before you go, just go to there website and it gives you all the details, there is also e-mail addresses so u can mail them and ask what is best to do

www.westpac.com.au

If you are travelling to Oz within a month u can open an online account

Hope this helps
Old May 30th 2004, 8:45 am
ABCDiamond

From what I have read on here, this is the best contact for HSBC

HSBC International Branch
Tel: 020 7991 7278 (For opening Australian Account from UK)

and its the
Online Savings Accounts that most appear to go for.

Old May 30th 2004, 8:47 am
ABCDiamond

PS: Look at this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=HSBC

Old May 30th 2004, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

We just signed all the forms at our HSBC branch yesterday. We've opened the one that ABC mentioned, with ATM card, cheque books, but most importantly on line access.

We'd been into our local HSBC branch earlier and they sorted out a Group Introduction form which is sent to the International section. We then received a load of forms from the International section which we (or I should say Steve) filled in. We then took it along with various forms of ID. You have to score 100 points based on different sorts of ID, eg passports, marriage licence, credit cards etc, which are then photocopied and certified by your local HSBC and then you have to send the forms in. Then once the account is open we can do electronic fund transfers fairly easily.

We have an account with First Direct which are part of HSBC, but
I don't know what happens if you're not a current customer with
them, whether you can still open an account in the same way.

All the best with sorting this out.

Karen