Reload this Page >

Opening Oz bank account in the UK

Opening Oz bank account in the UK

Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening Oz bank account in the UK

Has anyone else had the problems I have had trying to open an Australian bank account in the UK prior to leaving.

HSBC: phoned them 3 weeks ago and asked for infromation on opening an account.
They said I must have a letter of introduction from my current bankers before they send the applications.
Received the letter yesterday and phoned them for the Application. I did not even mention that I had the letter and they sent the forms anyway.
The requirements on the form are that the letter must be addressed to the HSBC Bank in Sydney. I had it addressed to me. It also said it must have an international signatory. It is signed PP The Manager.
Looks like £10 wasted on this letter.

Commonwealth Bank: Contacted through the web site late February for an information pack................May, nothing yet.
3 weeks ago contacted again for information.
Got a letter from Com Bank Perth last week from someone saying he is my contact when I arrive in Perth and if I want to open an account prior to leaving contact name given in London.
I have emailed and phoned with no response at all.
I ONLY WANT THEM TO HOLD MY MONEY IN A BANK ACCOUNT

Does anyone have any contacts or ideas on how to make life easier?

Tony C
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried ANZ?

My dad had no problems opening an account with them from the UK, he had to fax a copy of his drivers licence and passport and I think a letter from his bank but it was done and dusted within 2 days.

The only problem he had was setting up internet banking from a UK account, they send out a letter with a number that is only active for a week and when you are waiting for it to arrive from Australia, it is touch and go

PM me if you need more details, I can ask my dad.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Teliko19
Have you tried ANZ?

My dad had no problems opening an account with them from the UK, he had to fax a copy of his drivers licence and passport and I think a letter from his bank but it was done and dusted within 2 days.

The only problem he had was setting up internet banking from a UK account, they send out a letter with a number that is only active for a week and when you are waiting for it to arrive from Australia, it is touch and go

I have looked at the ANZ web site and it says
It is not possible to open an account offshore.
Must have changed the rules.

I will have another look.

Thanks
Tony C
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:42 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opening Oz bank account in the UK

Originally posted by crabtree
Has anyone else had the problems I have had trying to open an Australian bank account in the UK prior to leaving.

HSBC: phoned them 3 weeks ago and asked for infromation on opening an account.
They said I must have a letter of introduction from my current bankers before they send the applications.
Received the letter yesterday and phoned them for the Application. I did not even mention that I had the letter and they sent the forms anyway.
The requirements on the form are that the letter must be addressed to the HSBC Bank in Sydney. I had it addressed to me. It also said it must have an international signatory. It is signed PP The Manager.
Looks like £10 wasted on this letter.

Commonwealth Bank: Contacted through the web site late February for an information pack................May, nothing yet.
3 weeks ago contacted again for information.
Got a letter from Com Bank Perth last week from someone saying he is my contact when I arrive in Perth and if I want to open an account prior to leaving contact name given in London.
I have emailed and phoned with no response at all.
I ONLY WANT THEM TO HOLD MY MONEY IN A BANK ACCOUNT

Does anyone have any contacts or ideas on how to make life easier?

Tony C

Commonwealth Bank has a UK branch (in London) which specifically deals with migrant issues like yours.
Don't know the address but it's probably on the website.
BEFORE everybody yells at me I know they are expensive but I'm just answering the question.

Dinky
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:58 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dinky
Commonwealth Bank has a UK branch (in London) which specifically deals with migrant issues like yours.
BEFORE everybody yells at me I know they are expensive but I'm just answering the question.

Dinky

I have an HSBC account here in UK I spoke to them about going abroad gave them the usual detailsand did they have a branch in Adelaide.
No problems all I have to do is let them know dates and they will transfer the account.
Could it be worth another try with HSBC

good luck

Sarah
Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by kentcoast
I have an HSBC account here in UK I spoke to them about going abroad gave them the usual detailsand did they have a branch in Adelaide.
No problems all I have to do is let them know dates and they will transfer the account.
Could it be worth another try with HSBC

good luck

Sarah

Not so simple if you dont have an account with HSBC in the UK.

Tony C
Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Dinky

Dinky

This is the one I have emailed and phoned with no response.

Tony C
Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took the forms into HSBC got everything checked and signed got the bank to send the info off, and now received letter saying the want letters of introduction. !! So will send them soon as we get them. HSBC seem to be a lot more security consious and also credit check. (if opened via UK)

The commonwealth bank was a doddle, phoned them up they sent the forms sent the info back, bank account open. !

The website for the Oz banks can be found at www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/finance.php
Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:24 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by crabtree
This is the one I have emailed and phoned with no response.

Tony C
Hi Tony,
We have been using the commonwealth bank london, when phoning or emailing speak to the manager migrant services
Email: [email protected] or tel: 020 7710 3990, have tried a few and commonwealth seemed more than helpful, you have to go up in person to open an account. Ming Levy is the person who dealt with us in Perth she was really helpful, we were given the name of Richard Hoffman for London. good luck
Old Jun 17th 2003, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Teliko19
Have you tried ANZ?

I have been back on the ANZ website and I must have missread the first time.
It actually says, when you try to open an account on line:
' This service is not available if you reside in Australia'
Strange.
So I have applied on line and hopefully things will go smoothly.

I will let you know.

Many Thanks

Tony C