Reload this Page >

Opening NZ bank account

Opening NZ bank account

Old Aug 19th 2002, 8:17 am
Just Joined

jaycee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening NZ bank account

Hi all!!!

I'm moving to NZ at the beginning of Nov, with my partner who is a kiwi returning home after 20 years in the UK and we're looking to open a joint bank account.

However I believe i'll need an IRD number before I can do this. How do I go about this, do I need to be in NZ before I can apply for one?

Also can anyone recommend any NZ banks online that make it easy to open an account from overseas.

Cheers

Jaycee
Old Aug 19th 2002, 8:37 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening NZ bank account

Originally posted by jaycee:
Hi all!!!

I'm moving to NZ at the beginning of Nov, with my partner who is a kiwi returning home after 20 years in the UK and we're looking to open a joint bank account.

However I believe i'll need an IRD number before I can do this. How do I go about this, do I need to be in NZ before I can apply for one?

Also can anyone recommend any NZ banks online that make it easy to open an account from overseas.

Cheers

Jaycee
We opened online a deposit a/c with ANZ (New Zealand) with no hassle. We were also offered a current a/c by them.

I have to warn you that we tried opening an a/c with about 5 other NZ banks and they were all obstructive, eg either refusing to open an a/c until we were in NZ or else needing a copy of our NZ visa...which we couldn't get until we had deposited settlement funds (Catch 22!) But ANZ were fine and quick.

Don
Old Aug 19th 2002, 3:31 pm
Brian Andersen

ANZ regularly bottoms in the bank customer service survey.

U don't need a IRD number but interest is taxed at the highest rate without one.

Brian

"pleasancefamily" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by jaycee:
    > > Hi all!!!
    > >
    > > I'm moving to NZ at the beginning of Nov, with my partner who is a kiwi returning
    > > home after 20 years in the UK and we're looking to open a joint bank account.
    > >
    > > However I believe i'll need an IRD number before I can do this. How do I go about
    > > this, do I need to be in NZ before I can apply for one?
    > >
    > > Also can anyone recommend any NZ banks online that make it easy to open an
    > > account from overseas.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Jaycee
    > We opened online a deposit a/c with ANZ (New Zealand) with no hassle. We were also
    > offered a current a/c by them.
    > I have to warn you that we tried opening an a/c with about 5 other NZ banks and
    > they were all obstructive, eg either refusing to open an a/c until we were in NZ or
    > else needing a copy of our NZ visa...which we couldn't get until we had deposited
    > settlement funds (Catch 22!) But ANZ were fine and quick.
    > Don
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 19th 2002, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Ken Waller is an unknown quantity at this point

We have managed to set an account with ASB from the UK. We didn't need any IRD numbers, although they did ask us for copies of our passports, visas and some current utility bills and a recent bank statement.

Ken
Old Aug 20th 2002, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I'm investigating the banks now. A bit of a learning curve on how they do things.

IRD number seems to be no problem as it seems that you can apply for one from the UK so it'll be ready for work straight away.

Jaycee
Old Aug 20th 2002, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

ruebenr is an unknown quantity at this point

IRD number seems to be no problem as it seems that you can apply for one from the UK so it'll be ready for work straight away.
Hi Jaycee,

Question for you - how does one apply for the IRD no. from the UK? Can one apply with a current UK address?

Pls advise.

Rueben
Old Aug 21st 2002, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by ruebenr:

Hi Jaycee,

Question for you - how does one apply for the IRD no. from the UK? Can one apply with a current UK address?

Pls advise.

Rueben
I was able to apply for my IRD number (in the post now) because my partners sister lives in Mt Eden, Auckland, and when we first get there we'll being staying there for a while until we find our feet and can use their address on the forms you need to fill out. Heres the url for the form you need http://www.ird.govt.nz/library/publi...info/ir595.pdf

I guess the best way to do it is if you have friends living in NZ who'll let you use their address for a while

Jaycee
Old Aug 21st 2002, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Jaycee,
Thanks a lot for your reply - most helpful.
Cheers
R
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Default Attn - Pleasancefamily Re: Opening NZ bank account

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

We opened online a deposit a/c with ANZ (New Zealand) with no hassle. We were also offered a current a/c by them.

I have to warn you that we tried opening an a/c with about 5 other NZ banks and they were all obstructive, eg either refusing to open an a/c until we were in NZ or else needing a copy of our NZ visa...which we couldn't get until we had deposited settlement funds (Catch 22!) But ANZ were fine and quick.

Don

Hello Don,

Any advice on how to open an account in ANZ from the UK? Did you submit an online application from the ANZ website?
Could you share details please?
Cheers
Rueben
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:11 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Attn - Pleasancefamily Re: Opening NZ bank account

Originally posted by ruebenr:

Hello Don,

Any advice on how to open an account in ANZ from the UK? Did you submit an online application from the ANZ website?
Could you share details please?
Cheers
Rueben
They were helpful, ps I do not work for them as someone seemed to suggest haha!

Try contacting (email) Wolfgang Schmidt at [email protected] who was a very polite and nice young man and I guess is the reason that good service gets recommendations!

Let me know it worked.

Don
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Attn - Pleasancefamily Re: Opening NZ bank account

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

They were helpful, ps I do not work for them as someone seemed to suggest haha!

Try contacting (email) Wolfgang Schmidt at [email protected] who was a very polite and nice young man and I guess is the reason that good service gets recommendations!

Let me know it worked.

Don
Don, Thanks a lot for the info - will let you know if it worked.
Cheers,
R
Old Aug 25th 2002, 1:58 am
Gordon Turner

jaycee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all!!!
    > I'm moving to NZ at the beginning of Nov, with my partner who is a kiwi returning
    > home after 20 years in the UK and we're looking to open a joint bank account.
    > However I believe i'll need an IRD number before I can do this. How do I go about
    > this, do I need to be in NZ before I can apply for one?
    > Also can anyone recommend any NZ banks online that make it easy to open an account
    > from overseas.
    > Cheers
    > Jaycee

Try www.nationalbank.co.nz They ask
for a photocopy of your current passport and a utility bill. No problems with them;
just beware of currency exchange rates when transferring money to them. All the
information is available on their colourful website. TT (telegraph transfer) can cost
you big with both ends charging you. For example a $4500US TT, the sending bank
deducted $80US from the original amount and then the receiving National Bank deducted
another $40US.

Old Sep 10th 2003, 8:42 am
Just Joined

barlowcj is an unknown quantity at this point

Try www.tranzfers.com for moving money from UK to NZ its great. good exchange rate and minimal commision (about 7.50 pounds). I've used them no problem.

Regards
Chris
Old Sep 10th 2003, 12:05 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gordon Turner
jaycee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all!!!
    > I'm moving to NZ at the beginning of Nov, with my partner who is a kiwi returning
    > home after 20 years in the UK and we're looking to open a joint bank account.
    > However I believe i'll need an IRD number before I can do this. How do I go about
    > this, do I need to be in NZ before I can apply for one?
    > Also can anyone recommend any NZ banks online that make it easy to open an account
    > from overseas.
    > Cheers
    > Jaycee

Try www.nationalbank.co.nz They ask
for a photocopy of your current passport and a utility bill. No problems with them;
just beware of currency exchange rates when transferring money to them. All the
information is available on their colourful website. TT (telegraph transfer) can cost
you big with both ends charging you. For example a $4500US TT, the sending bank
deducted $80US from the original amount and then the receiving National Bank deducted
another $40US.
Just had a quick look
Their black horse symbol looks almost identical to my banks "Lloyds TSB" they arent connected are they?
Anyone know?
Old Sep 10th 2003, 12:12 pm
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sky
Just had a quick look
Their black horse symbol looks almost identical to my banks "Lloyds TSB" they arent connected are they?
Anyone know?
Yes
from their website...

Right from the beginning The National Bank and Lloyds Bank have had directors in common and in 1966 Lloyds Bank purchased The National Bank outright. The Bank was run from London until 1978 when Head Office moved to Wellington, New Zealand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.