Wikiposts

Opening a Commonwealth Bank Account

Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:28 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opening a Commonwealth Bank Account

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
[QU

The question is (finally ) - Can I / Should I open an account with them now without a visa when it could be many months before we actually emigrate?
Worzel
I think you may need the visa, though you can check this with them. When I went to the roadshow in Manchester they asked to see my passport and the visa in it.
Sue[/QUOTE]

Sue,
Were you able to open an account there & then at the show if you had a visa in your passport. would like to know as we are going to the Epsom one in March?

Stu
Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Hello Everyone
Thank you ever so much for all of your replies it has really helped. I think I will myself into a roadshow (thank you for that info) and I will definately open an account prior to going (that seems to be the general consensus).

The majority of you appear to be happy with your account. We hope to go early next year (as soon as the house sells) and live in the langwarrin/south frankston area. Those of you living there are there plenty of commonwealth atms etc so charges will be reduced?

Thanks again for all your help and thoughts it is much appreciated!!!
Irene
hi irene,

from the commonwealth website, it says you have to have a visa application in progress before you can open an account?
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:43 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bert-doozer
Worzel
I think you may need the visa, though you can check this with them. When I went to the roadshow in Manchester they asked to see my passport and the visa in it.
Sue
Sue,
Were you able to open an account there & then at the show if you had a visa in your passport. would like to know as we are going to the Epsom one in March?

Stu[/QUOTE]

Stu

.......... where and what date is the Epsom one in March please? Can only see London on 8 Feb and 8 March for this part of the country.

Thanks

Jim
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:11 am
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Sue,

Stu
Stu

.......... where and what date is the Epsom one in March please? Can only see London on 8 Feb and 8 March for this part of the country.

Thanks

Jim[/QUOTE]

18/19/20th March see the link is at Sandown not epsom, my mistake

http://www.outboundpublishing.com/cg...howitem=000001

Stu

Last edited by bert-doozer; Jan 29th 2005 at 4:13 am. Reason: mistake
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:04 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi Irene,

I haven't read all the other answers, so sorry if its already been said;

1 - within 6 weeks of getting here so your passport counts for 100 points (or prior to arrival)
2 - certified for what? you don't need any certified copies to open an a/c regardless of visa type.
3- $10 I think for a cash account
4 - you can use anything, I use Tranzfers
5 - you will be up and running from the day you step off the plane
6 - any. I have a savings & a current a/c
7 - Yep, previously with Westpac. Commbank have less fee's. It took 10mins to open my a/c with them, and less than a fortnight to issue me with my savings a/c when I decided to open one. Any time I have ever called they've always been very helpful and they don't fill up my mailbox with junk mail

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

we didn't get round to opening one before we left....meant to, you know how it goes.
anyway the day after we landed we walked into the first bank we came to and it was the Commonwealth, it took about 10mins to open it, all we needed was our passport and i think some other form of ID like our UK driving licence. He also put in an application for a bcredit card, so conssidering i am on a temporary visa if i get that i will be impressed.
just transferred some money across straight from our uk bank account into it, transferred sterling and the bank will do the exchange........offering 2.5 at the mo
Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
HSBC (first 5 free) then $2 each. But if you withdraw Cash from a Post Office, with your ATM card it seems to be free. (page 6 on their fees guide)
For the online savings account it is the first 5 withdrawls from NON-HSBC cash machines. If you use an HSBC machine then there is no limit.

Next challenge is to find an HSBC cash machine!
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cyclemark
For the online savings account it is the first 5 withdrawls from NON-HSBC cash machines. If you use an HSBC machine then there is no limit.

Next challenge is to find an HSBC cash machine!
All the figures I quoted actually related to - "Other Bank" ATM transactions.

The HSBC site shows where all the ATM's are, but I agree, there aren't many, but as I don't do more than 1 cash withrawal per week, it doesn't affect me, and I can therefore use any banks ATM free.
I have however heard of people regulary doing one ATM withrawal per day !! I wouldn't advise them to bank with HSBC

Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Sue,

Stu[/QUOTE]
Yes, absolutely. There's no money in it though!
Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:03 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Sue,

Stu
Yes, absolutely. There's no money in it though![/QUOTE]

Sue,

Thanks for that, thats one thing we will be able to tick off the list.

Quite surprised they didnt want you to put any money in though, not like a bank at all!

Stu
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:09 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bert-doozer
Stu

Thanks

Jim
18/19/20th March see the link is at Sandown not epsom, my mistake

http://www.outboundpublishing.com/cg...howitem=000001

Stu[/QUOTE]

Stu

Thanks for that. Don't know if we will get to that - our flight is booked for 20 March and the few days before we will be doing the goodbyes bit.

Think I'll give them a ring instead and see how that goes.

Regards

Jim