Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account for Oz in the UK

Opening a bank account for Oz in the UK

Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:06 pm
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of
Default Opening a bank account for Oz in the UK

My wife rang HSBC to open an account today. We are currently in the UK and need one opened in AU as we will be travelling round and have no permanent address. HSBC said they cannot open the account here as we are residents of Australia and that we need to wait until we are in Australia.

I get the feeling that this will be a problem when we get to Oz as we won't have a permanent address, has anyone else had this problem and how did they resolve it?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:47 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Opening a bank account for Oz in the UK

Originally Posted by The Genie
My wife rang HSBC to open an account today. We are currently in the UK and need one opened in AU as we will be travelling round and have no permanent address. HSBC said they cannot open the account here as we are residents of Australia and that we need to wait until we are in Australia.

I get the feeling that this will be a problem when we get to Oz as we won't have a permanent address, has anyone else had this problem and how did they resolve it?
Mate this has been done so many times before.
Get on to HSBC International Branch in London and they'll sort you out.
See some of these threads for more info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235099
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392320
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377284
Old Sep 5th 2006, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

If I was you I'd wait til you get there. We walked into a Westpac on the first day of our travels in Oz, no permanent address, not even a hotel or anything, and still had an account opened within 20 minutes.
They only need an address to send your bank card to, but we worked out where we were going to be about two week's from then (Broome) and they had the cards sent to the Broome branch for us to pick up.
So easy it was untrue!
Until we could pick up the cards we just had to take our account details and ID into any branch to withdraw cash.
All the form filling in from the UK just seemed like too much hassle and I'm so glad we didn't bother.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 5:18 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

Opend one with westpac last week filled in form posted it had an account open 7 days no probs
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:23 pm
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pike
Opend one with westpac last week filled in form posted it had an account open 7 days no probs
Thanks. I will probably have to wait until I get there. I guess we will have to take enough cash to tide us over?
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I will probably have to wait until I get there. I guess we will have to take enough cash to tide us over?
why not open a nationwide flex account-no charges for using the visa debit/credit card abroad and the exchange rate is good?
Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:46 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Open one when you arrive and see if the bank willm let you pick up the cards from the branch . You could always use or place for a postal address if you want . I will ask in the bank here today if you can collect cards there ok mate .
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Or visit http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:55 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gedge
Mate this has been done so many times before.
Get on to HSBC International Branch in London and they'll sort you out.
See some of these threads for more info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235099
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392320
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377284

i still had BIG problems with these people as well , i would recommend ANZ, we did the form online in uk and got account number about 10 days later via post - no issues and no problems, then once in oz, show ID to unlock account - simple!

mand
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz
i still had BIG problems with these people as well , i would recommend ANZ, we did the form online in uk and got account number about 10 days later via post - no issues and no problems, then once in oz, show ID to unlock account - simple!

mand
Yep - we're with the ANZ. Not bad.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:24 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by marco121068

the thing with HSBC is that there are not many of them, but that may just be where we live! with ANZ there is ALWAYS one around, so i never get stung for using another ATM!

GOODLUCK
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Open one when you arrive and see if the bank willm let you pick up the cards from the branch . You could always use or place for a postal address if you want . I will ask in the bank here today if you can collect cards there ok mate .
Sounds like a good idea to me. If I give you my pin number you could always withdraw money for me as well

Your avatar needs time to get used to, I liked the old one better!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:52 am
I'm driving me nuts

Originally Posted by mandtooz

mand
Thanks. Looks like a good option. Did they hand over the cards when you saw them, or did you need an Oz address for them to be sent to?
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:55 am
I'm driving me nuts

Originally Posted by JAJ
Just checked that one out, also looks like a good option. Need to look in to it a bit further for picking up cards though. Thanks
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:17 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068

I had an ANZ account in 1998. Do you think i would be able to reactivate it when i get there? I did email them but the person i emailed said to get in touch with someone else. Was gonna phone but havent got round to it. Will maybe wait till i get to Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.