Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening a Bank Account with Commonwealth Bank

Opening a Bank Account with Commonwealth Bank

Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:07 pm
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough
Smile Opening a Bank Account with Commonwealth Bank

HI folks, thanks for reading this. Were about move to Oz next month or so and we are going to open bank account with the Commonwealth bank in London before we go. However I would like to know if they do a credit check in the UK before opening account to use in OZ. I just have a couple of black marks in my credit report that I don't want affecting my application for an account both here and OZ.

Many thanks
MAc
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a Bank Account with Commonwealth Bank

Originally Posted by macnet1
HI folks, thanks for reading this. Were about move to Oz next month or so and we are going to open bank account with the Commonwealth bank in London before we go. However I would like to know if they do a credit check in the UK before opening account to use in OZ. I just have a couple of black marks in my credit report that I don't want affecting my application for an account both here and OZ.

Many thanks
MAc
We have opened a CB account here. I know they asked for loads of info beforehand so would assume they do run a check but as far I know we haven't got any bad credit rating so can't be sure. They need certified copies of passports and proof of address stuff. I am sure all financial institutions check these days. You can only try, it won't cost you and you will then know. From what I have been told, money laundering is their main concern, so a couple of black marks should be ok. If you have the money to put in wouldn't have thought they would turn you away.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:16 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macnet1

Many thanks
MAc
You don't get credit as a new arrival so you don't need a credit check

We had to provide copies of passports, a page of bank statement and utility bill but that is only to prove who you are under money laundering laws.

Opening the UK transfer account is very easy: www.migrantbanking.co.uk

They will call you nearer the time to discuss options then you wander into a branch once you arrive and get it set straight away.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Opening the UK transfer account is very easy: [url]www.migrantbanking.co.uk

Hi we sent our stuff off to the CB last week and got it back yesterday, lots of questions but very easy to open the account.

John
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jond
Opening the UK transfer account is very easy: [url]www.migrantbanking.co.uk

Hi we sent our stuff off to the CB last week and got it back yesterday, lots of questions but very easy to open the account.

John
I've just opened an account with Westpac - got a really good account with unlimited transactions for $5 a month. The whole process took about 24 hours, and I've got my internet banking sorted out already, as well as a credit card. Couldn't recommend them more highly!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:22 am
Wahroonga Boy

Wahroonga Boy will become famous soon enough

they don't do a credit check as you may expect as they're not going to lend you any money. They need the info to make sure your not going to launder money through them out of the UK. I've not heard of anyone getting turned down
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:19 am
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Guys for taking the time out to reply - your real diamonds

Mac