Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

opening a bank account in Aus

Wikiposts

opening a bank account in Aus

Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Default opening a bank account in Aus

We are emigrating to Brisbane in April 2006 and looking into opening an account before we go so we can have our money waiting for us. I believe HSBC are few and far between in Brisbane, anyone got any tips who to use and how to go about it.
cheers
greggsy
Old Dec 20th 2005, 8:17 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Default Re: opening a bank account in Aus

Originally Posted by greggsy
We are emigrating to Brisbane in April 2006 and looking into opening an account before we go so we can have our money waiting for us. I believe HSBC are few and far between in Brisbane, anyone got any tips who to use and how to go about it.
cheers
greggsy

Hello - I've been in Brissy for 2 months now and loving it! We used ANZ, you can set up an account from the UK by downloading an application from their website www.anz.com. You get account number etc in about 2-3 weeks, you can then deposit monies but can only withdraw once the account is activated at a branch here. We had a few teething problems with my card not working but nothing too serious.

I use TRANZFERS to move money to and fromt he UK, they charge GBP7 per transaction no matter the amount.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We used ANZ to. No problems. Nice and easy to do before you get here!!
We transfered money through HIFX with a good rate.
Karen
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:39 am

gedge has disabled reputation

cheers
greggsy
HSBC are a popular choice (have a search on here for previous threads).
No one is too worried about real branches, these days you can do most things over the phone or internet. That's probably why you get no bank charges with HSBC.
Don't forget that the post offices in Oz act as banks and will let you do deposits and withdrawals. There's one in every town, even Brisbane
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by gedge
Don't forget that the post offices in Oz act as banks and will let you do deposits and withdrawals. There's one in every town, even Brisbane
Sometimes more than one, we have TWO

Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:54 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Sometimes more than one, we have TWO
Pull the other one it's got bells on!
Next you'll have me believeing you've an airport there too.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

cheers
greggsy

lots of people have their good and bad choices amd it's really up to you which one you choose. we used Westpac. Easily opened in the UK. No charges, easy to access in Oz. As yet without problems.

Good Luck

Rob
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:00 pm

robeve is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
greggsy
Try Westpac they have been superb with me, even free reverse charge phone calls from UK with queries, you can Email them at [email protected]

Robeve
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone great help
greggsy