Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

opening Bank Account

opening Bank Account

Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default opening Bank Account

Hi, getting a wriggle on now and thinking of opening Aus bank account from UK to deposit some funds.
Did anyone wait until arriving before transferring large amounts (to cover rental bonds etc) or did you do it from the UK?
If in temp accomodation did you use this for your address or wait until you had a rental?

thanks
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening Bank Account

Doesn't really master where you are when you transfer money it can all be done on line, might be worth getting your broker account set up before you leave (oxforex) or similar, and sending some over. We used temp address for getting tax file numbers.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Hi, getting a wriggle on now and thinking of opening Aus bank account from UK to deposit some funds.
Did anyone wait until arriving before transferring large amounts (to cover rental bonds etc) or did you do it from the UK?
If in temp accomodation did you use this for your address or wait until you had a rental?

thanks
Transfer using Ozforex. You can set up an account from the UK with them, and then transfer your money from your UK bank to your Aus bank once you arrive here.

www.ozforex.com.au

BB
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Easy to set up an Oz bank account from UK so it is up and running when you arrive. I have a UK HSBC account and they set one up for me at an HSBC in Sydney. There was a fee, I think it was £100.
I use Forex for all my transfers, there are fees attached but generally quite a bit cheaper than the bank would charge.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I phoned ANZ office in London and set up an account. They sent me account details and we just turned up at the nearest branch here with passports. Our bank in the UK gave us a good rate and transfered 99% of our funds. Still keep a UK account open for visits and Grandparent puts money in for kids Birthdays/Christmas which we give to them out of our income. Saves on fees when you buy on-line from UK.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I do/did pretty the same as skinnygeorge.
I used my work address for bank address and TFN if you have work lined up and know it.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:11 am
Just Joined

porcup1ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have an HSBC premier account which entitles you to the same wherever HSBC has a branch. No fees to transfer and the exchange rate is pretty favorable to. You could also try 1stcontactforex who have a limit of £10k per day unless you can prove the origin of the funds
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:30 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3

thanks
HSBC in Oz and First Direct in the UK = GBP10.00 per transaction.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I gave my work address.
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Opened account, just need to verify and opened ozforex account, thanks