Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account

Opening a bank account

Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:05 pm
stevenpoole9

Default Opening a bank account

Hi all, we are about to go over to Brisbane (Jan 24th) to validate our visas. We are staying for 3 weeks to get a feel for a few places and visit some friends. I want to open a bank account from the UK to use while we are there. We have just received A$2500 from our bond interest (6 months) and this seems like a good way to use the money. I also thought it would be good to get a credit card/cheque book/credit history at the same time. We will be moving to Oz as soon as the house is sold, hopefully spring next year. Does anyone have any company/bank etc they would recommend? We used HIFX for the bond transfer and they did everything without a hitch but I am always looking for the best deal I can get, hence the post. Cheers, Steve.

Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Opening a bank account

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
Hi all, we are about to go over to Brisbane (Jan 24th) to validate our visas. We are staying for 3 weeks to get a feel for a few places and visit some friends. I want to open a bank account from the UK to use while we are there. We have just received A$2500 from our bond interest (6 months) and this seems like a good way to use the money. I also thought it would be good to get a credit card/cheque book/credit history at the same time. We will be moving to Oz as soon as the house is sold, hopefully spring next year. Does anyone have any company/bank etc they would recommend? We used HIFX for the bond transfer and they did everything without a hitch but I am always looking for the best deal I can get, hence the post. Cheers, Steve.
If you want a "FEE FREE" account, I suggest HSBC Bank, International Branch Tel: 020 7991 7278.
http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/accounts/osa.html

For a standard Australian Account, either ANZ or Westpac are reasonable, with some accounts at only $5 per month.

Banks

Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:47 am
stevenpoole9

Thanks ABC, as ever a provider of useful information. We'll be checking out HSBC today in the UK as we already have an account with them. Cheers, Steve.

Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...g+to+Australia