Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening bank account

Opening bank account

Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:44 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Opening bank account

Originally Posted by djdazzyb
We used them as they are part of Halifaz bank of scotland and we have been with the halifax for years. So far we have had no probs at all. Hope nothing changes when we get out there!!!
Halifax have now bought Bank West
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Is anyone else confused, or is it just me ?

Coffee time ................

Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:01 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Question Re: Opening bank account

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Is anyone else confused, or is it just me ?

Coffee time ................
Hey I am opening an Account with HSBC today?
Whats all the confusion about?
Am I going right? stupid question....though
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
I've had the pleasant discovery that opening a bank account on a visa-validating trip is (hopefully) easier than I had thought.

Since we will be settling in Victoria, I picked ANZ, a bank based there. They have a basic, no-fee account called Access Select. So I phoned them on their direct number, (03) 9683 9999, and the call centre employee was able to open the account over the phone! She gave me the account number and branch number, to allow me to transfer money to the account from outside Australia. Total time of 5 minutes.

Until we arrive in Australia to present our passports to the branch, we can only deposit money into the account, no withdrawals. But on that first visit to the branch we will have a fully-functioning bank account. Without having to take a large amount of cash with us.

Some of the other banks might have this type of service, too. ANZ happened to be the first one I called.

Once we return from Australia I'll post a response indicating our in-branch experience.
I am not sure what non fee paying means. Are there no charges for withdrawing cash, using eftpos etc? Or does it mean there is no set monthly fee?

Hubby and I pay $5 a month and that covers us for unlimited cash withdrawels, eftpos and internet banking. This is with Westpak. We have been with them for a few months and so far have had no problems with them.

We compared charges with oter banks and found theirs the best for us.

Katie
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pandya_m

No bank is "right" for "everyone"

All banks are "right" for "someone"

It comes down to what you want, if you want to pay anything or not, etc.

HSBC works for many people, and can work out costing nothing at all.
But for some others it can cost something, depending on the ATM usage, although from a poll done recently, most people would fit in to the free 5 monthly uses of any other banks ATM's that they allow.

Even the true Australian Banks are beginning to come out with better options than they use to do, that seem more suitable, for just $5 per month.

Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:39 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

No bank is "right" for "everyone"

All banks are "right" for "someone"

It comes down to what you want, if you want to pay anything or not, etc.

HSBC works for many people, and can work out costing nothing at all.
But for some others it can cost something, depending on the ATM usage, although from a poll done recently, most people would fit in to the free 5 monthly uses of any other banks ATM's that they allow.

Even the true Australian Banks are beginning to come out with better options than they use to do, that seem more suitable, for just $5 per month.

They all look like a rip off to me
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:57 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
They are. But most of them have a fee free option if you keep a minimum balance in them. mine is $5000 and there are then no fees. I accidently let the balance drop to below $5000 one month and incured a $13 fee, even tho they give you a $6 rebate.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:00 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
They are. But most of them have a fee free option if you keep a minimum balance in them. mine is $5000 and there are then no fees. I accidently let the balance drop to below $5000 one month and incured a $13 fee, even tho they give you a $6 rebate.
I just spoke to someone at ANZ (do they have an Indian call centre?) they said I can open an account with no interest for $5 a month but if I want one with interest I have to pay for breathing near one of their branches

Ps. which bank are you with?
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:28 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Smile Re: Opening bank account

Originally Posted by pandya_m
ABCDiamond... Thanks a million for all the posts that esp. you and other were making regarding bank. I finally made my mind about HSBC.
I went to Swaston Street, Melb. Today and finalize the Deal

The story goes this way.
I went to them yesterday, a nice gentleman asked me my details. After seeing all he told me that the Bank will need a letter stating my residence proof. I told them I just arrived cant help much but with Hotel details. He said not a problem just go ahead and get a letter.
Next day, same gentleman recongnize me, I showed him the letter and was unhappy again since he find some fault out there, but I made notes of what Bank was expecting....! Whatever, I requested him to let me talk to the Manager so he went in and discussed the case for 15 minutes. Later the manager came out and told me that I cant open account due to letter has flaws. The flaws were the room no. was not mentioned... I fould silly, and expressed them as well. But she politely said that its Bank Norm. they cant deviate. All bad for me at that time. I told her let me talk to her manager. After requesting so much (since I wanted to finsish the busniess today itself), she thought and said, let she talk to her manger...I think her manager name was Cherie...She was kind to let me forward the letter with her reference... and all done...

Folks please note there are horrors what I hear of bank Reference where you been banking since 4/5 years.. No one in HSBC bothered here. Other banks dont even bother to get your address. They just want your PP and all done.

But end of story opened my HSBC account...
--- THE END ---

ABCDiamond the poll was interesting and so were the feedbacks that you seniors provided...thanks a lot. HSBC is good to Bank with.

Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:29 am
ABCDiamond

Not all of them

HSBC is totally free to me. With no minimum balance to be kept.

and the

ANZ Credit Card actually pays me to use it

Its like all things, you need to look at what's available, and choose the best option.

Don't just believe all you hear, and except it

Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by arkon
If I was you I would change your bank !!

Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:40 am

Not all of them

HSBC is totally free to me. With no minimum balance to be kept.

and the

ANZ Credit Card actually pays me to use it

Its like all things, you need to look at what's available, and choose the best option.

Don't just believe all you hear, and except it
I've phoned a few and i haven't liled what i've heard from the horses mouth.
I'd like to bank with HSBC but isn't it they who you have to use the PO with?
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:55 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I just spoke to someone at ANZ (do they have an Indian call centre?) they said I can open an account with no interest for $5 a month but if I want one with interest I have to pay for breathing near one of their branches

Ps. which bank are you with?
I'm with National Australia Bank, An have been very happy with them, except the fees of course. But like I said if you keep the minimum balance then its fee exempt. I have 2 accounts with them, a flexaccount that costs $6 per month and you get a $6 rebate, so its free solong as you keep it above $5000. The second is a NAB (National Australia Bank) Cash management accelerator account, which works like a depoisit account back home. I get about 5.25% interests on the money in that one but you have to transfer money to the flexaccount if you want to spend any. this is easy and immediate and can be done from your web browser. I hate the fees they charge out here and sofar I've managed to avoid them all bar once.

If you want a credit card then the Virgin Australia mastercard seems the best. it has no fees, and you get mates rates for buying specific things like car hire etc. Don't be swayed by an aussie telling you to get something that has flybys ( a form of loyalty system). The typical credit card anual fee out here is about $89. But you'd need so many flyby points to recoup this its just not worth it. But the country is flyby crazy. Personally I prefer no fees!
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:58 am
ABCDiamond

I've phoned a few and i haven't liled what i've heard from the horses mouth.
I'd like to bank with HSBC but isn't it they who you have to use the PO with?
You can use any banks ATM up to 5 times per month, without being charged.

You can also use any post office without being charged. I find my local PO has smaller queues than the Banks, so no problems to me, but then I've only used them 2 or maybe 3 times in the last two years anyway.

I agree that most banks will charge, but there are ways around these things.

Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:02 am

You can use any banks ATM up to 5 times per month, without being charged.

You can also use any post office without being charged. I find my local PO has smaller queues than the Banks, so no problems to me, but then I've only used them 2 or maybe 3 times in the last two years anyway.

I agree that most banks will charge, but there are ways around these things.
Thanks mate could you put up the London contact number again please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.