Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening bank account

Opening bank account

Old May 31st 2005, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

CrazyCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening bank account

I've had the pleasant discovery that opening a bank account on a visa-validating trip is (hopefully) easier than I had thought.

Since we will be settling in Victoria, I picked ANZ, a bank based there. They have a basic, no-fee account called Access Select. So I phoned them on their direct number, (03) 9683 9999, and the call centre employee was able to open the account over the phone! She gave me the account number and branch number, to allow me to transfer money to the account from outside Australia. Total time of 5 minutes.

Until we arrive in Australia to present our passports to the branch, we can only deposit money into the account, no withdrawals. But on that first visit to the branch we will have a fully-functioning bank account. Without having to take a large amount of cash with us.

Some of the other banks might have this type of service, too. ANZ happened to be the first one I called.

Once we return from Australia I'll post a response indicating our in-branch experience.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

CrazyCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening bank account

In branch experience was good. When we visited the branch and presented our passports and signed the papers we received our passbooks and the account was fully activated. ATM cards came in the mail 5 days later.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:47 pm
Zan
Forum Regular

Zan will become famous soon enoughZan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
In branch experience was good. When we visited the branch and presented our passports and signed the papers we received our passbooks and the account was fully activated. ATM cards came in the mail 5 days later.
Thanks for the info.
Zan
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

djdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nice
Exclamation Re: Opening bank account

We went out on holiday and just went into the bank for some info regarding an account. within ten mins we had opened an account and did'nt even have to deposit any money. They sent the card to our home address in the uk a couple of weeks later. They even send us bank statements every month
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:59 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I hope their banking service is better than their website which is useless
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:17 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you said that as a friend of mine has just got back from validation trip and said ANZ were to be recommended.

Do they have lots of branches in WA does anyone know?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:21 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Glad you said that as a friend of mine has just got back from validation trip and said ANZ were to be recommended.

It just beggars belief the lack of info on all the Aussie banks websites, probably for the best as all the info I've found is rather :scared: on the pocket
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

djdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nicedjdazzyb is just really nice

Sorry just realised i gave the wrong impression about which bank we used. we opeded our account with the Bank West. service has been very good and they set up internet banking for us to make it easy to transfer money from here to there.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by djdazzyb
Sorry just realised i gave the wrong impression about which bank we used. we opeded our account with the Bank West. service has been very good and they set up internet banking for us to make it easy to transfer money from here to there.
Not Westpac :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:24 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Not Westpac :scared: :scared: :scared:
What's wrong with Westpac? I was considering them also...
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:26 pm

What's wrong with Westpac? I was considering them also...
We've been warned of them and Commonwealth by our Aussie mates
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

We've been warned of them and Commonwealth by our Aussie mates
We used them as they are part of Halifaz bank of scotland and we have been with the halifax for years. So far we have had no probs at all. Hope nothing changes when we get out there!!!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:39 pm

We used them as they are part of Halifaz bank of scotland and we have been with the halifax for years. So far we have had no probs at all. Hope nothing changes when we get out there!!!
Which one Westpac or Commonwealth?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Which one Westpac or Commonwealth?
Bank West (is that west pac )
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:45 pm

Bank West (is that west pac )
No it's different

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.