Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening Australian Bank Account from the UK?

Opening Australian Bank Account from the UK?

Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:49 am
Just Joined

misskuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening Australian Bank Account from the UK?

Has anyone opened an Australian bank account from the UK? My partner and I will arrive in Sydney on 29th March (following a week in Thailand) and I am wondering if I should open one from here. I've heard it is possible!

Does anyone have any recommendations, experiences etc?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Opening Australian Bank Account from the UK?

Yes it is possible.

I know Westpac and Commonwealth allow it. I opened my Commonwealth account from the UK and then just made an appointment a few days after arriving to have the account activated and get my cards.

I transferred some money across from the UK before I left too.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:44 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I take it there's no point in opening an Aussie bank account way in advance of moving? We don't go until next year so I'm thinking a couple of months before we go would be time enough?

Also, if we put money in an aussie bank acocunt can we just take it back out if for some reason we ended up not going?!

Tx
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RedT
I take it there's no point in opening an Aussie bank account way in advance of moving? We don't go until next year so I'm thinking a couple of months before we go would be time enough?

Also, if we put money in an aussie bank acocunt can we just take it back out if for some reason we ended up not going?!

Tx
Red, I don't think you have any access to the money you transfer until you arrive in person at your nominated branch. But there may be some way if you decide not to go. I was told I couldn't do anything with the money until I went in to the Adelaide branch and got my cards. So I only sent the money a few days before I flew out.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:08 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
Red, I don't think you have any access to the money you transfer until you arrive in person at your nominated branch. But there may be some way if you decide not to go. I was told I couldn't do anything with the money until I went in to the Adelaide branch and got my cards. So I only sent the money a few days before I flew out.
I thought this might be the case. We were thinking of saving in an Aussie account between now and when we go but that might just make it difficult for ourselves. I reckon we'll just wait until right before we go and sort it then.

thanks!

Tx
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi
We opened an account with ANZ prior to our move, its actually easier to do it on line before you arrive than in person once your here!! As for the ANZ themselves, we have been with them nearly 4 years now and i cannot fault their service.

Once you have transferred funds in you cannot withdraw until you have visited a branch in Australia and 'activated' your account.
However once the account is open it does enable you to watch the exchange rate and transfer funds when its looking good and working to your benefit. A small change in the exchange rate can make a large difference if your transferring quite a few pound.

Cal x
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Hi there,

Both me and my partner opened bank accounts from the UK about 6 weeks before we arrived in sydney. You will have to go to you local branch to actually open teh account but this only takes about 10 minutes and they have your cards ready to go there and then.

We went with NAB and they have been brilliant, only problem is they don't have as many ATMs as other banks and they still charge you for using another banks ATM.

ANZ and Westpack seem to have a lot of ATMs but saying that you can get cash back at most supermarkets.

O and credit cards still have an anual fee!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice

Remember that identity checks need to be done within 90 days of opening account, well this is certainly the case for WestPac.
http://www.westpac.com.au/personal-b...dentity-check/
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We opened an account with Westpac before we arrived, but I must say they are now known in our house as Westcrap. I have never experienced such poor customer service in my life - they are truly appalling. Banking here is a bit of a shock to the system, the things you take for granted in the UK are gradually being rolled out here as new and innovative (e.g. visa debit cards) and one woman from Westpac got really excited when she explained (over and over) that I could actually use my credit card to ...... buy things online! Choose one of the others.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chelly77
We went with NAB and they have been brilliant, only problem is they don't have as many ATMs as other banks and they still charge you for using another banks ATM.
Are you sure it's NAB that charges you? I reckon it's probably the other bank.

Info on migrant banking:

http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connec..._Finance/15/23
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
We opened an account with Westpac before we arrived, but I must say they are now known in our house as Westcrap. I have never experienced such poor customer service in my life - they are truly appalling. Banking here is a bit of a shock to the system, the things you take for granted in the UK are gradually being rolled out here as new and innovative (e.g. visa debit cards) and one woman from Westpac got really excited when she explained (over and over) that I could actually use my credit card to ...... buy things online! Choose one of the others.
I might indicate that we no longer use WestPac thru bad service as well, an ozzy commercial featuring "Barbara the bank manager" springs to mind but you are limited to the banks that allow you to open from the uk and at the time WestPac were offering free banking so quite a draw, but sadly this no longer applies.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by misskuke
Does anyone have any recommendations, experiences etc?
Yes. Do it when you arrive. Will take all of 10 minutes.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

OH is moving out next month and working until the rest of the family arrive in July. We are wanting a joint account however, as he will have to do the identity check on arrival Im guessing he will initially have to open a single account from here. Could I then add onto the account when I arrive? Im guessing so..
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I contacted Westpac a few weeks ago via an online system with a view to opening an account. Somebody from the London office called me back and told me not to bother and wait until I got there.

Wish I had insisted now and put a few grand in considering the way the FX rate has moved. I am going over in April to validate visa and test the job market, but not sure at the moment how long i will stay for.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

dor34 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RedT

Tx
Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that you can open an account long before you arrive. We opened an account with Westpac last week but wont be in Australia until September. Normally you have to go to a branch in Australia within 90 days of opening the a/c to do your security check but if you tell them you will not be there within this time they will send you documents to bring to your bank in the UK. You will have to get your bank to fill out the form to verify that you have had an account with them for at least the last 12 months. We are in Ireland by the way but i presume it's the same for you in the UK. If you go to their website and send them an email someone will get back to with a phone number to call. Hope this helps.

Dor

PS. Meant to say that after they receive your forms from your bank in UK you can then withdraw and transfer money.

Last edited by dor34; Mar 10th 2010 at 3:58 pm. Reason: added more info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.