Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening ANZ bank account from UK - info

Opening ANZ bank account from UK - info

Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening ANZ bank account from UK - info

Hi,

I've tempted fate by opening an ANZ bank account from the UK by dialling 613 9683 9999.

I chose the type of account I needed, and the lady I spoke to gave us our account no, swift code over the phone.

Saves all the hassel of filling out forms etc.

All we have to do is turn up at the branch with our passports when we arrive.

Now....all we need is our visa.

TC
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:37 am
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening ANZ bank account from UK - info

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi,

I've tempted fate by opening an ANZ bank account from the UK by dialling 613 9683 9999.

I chose the type of account I needed, and the lady I spoke to gave us our account no, swift code over the phone.

Saves all the hassel of filling out forms etc.

All we have to do is turn up at the branch with our passports when we arrive.

Now....all we need is our visa.

TC
Thanks for that info TC, it's one of the next things on my to do list and you've now made it much easier!

Best of luck for your Visa's imminent arrival!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baglady
Thanks for that info TC, it's one of the next things on my to do list and you've now made it much easier!

Best of luck for your Visa's imminent arrival!
Thanks...made the call from my work phone .

Took 15 mins in all. make sure you ask for them to email confirmation.

All the best

TC
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...made the call from my work phone .

Took 15 mins in all. make sure you ask for them to email confirmation.

All the best

TC
Take note, when you open the account you will be liable for $5 per month charges. We made the mistake of opening 3 accounts and it is costing us $15 per month. As we may not be there for 6 months, it is a waste of money.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Take note, when you open the account you will be liable for $5 per month charges. We made the mistake of opening 3 accounts and it is costing us $15 per month. As we may not be there for 6 months, it is a waste of money.

Are u 100% sure about this? i.e I though that until you get there and verify your ID...your account isn't technically open.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:13 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Are u 100% sure about this? i.e I though that until you get there and verify your ID...your account isn't technically open.
The account is not opened until you get there and verify your details (ie they check visa and arrival stamp). Once that's done, you're liable to $5 per month fees per account. We validated in November, opened the account and put $100 in and now have about half left.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
The account is not opened until you get there and verify your details (ie they check visa and arrival stamp). Once that's done, you're liable to $5 per month fees per account. We validated in November, opened the account and put $100 in and now have about half left.
Well we received 3 statements last month with the $5 per account charges.

Are you saying this is incorrect?
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:59 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Well we received 3 statements last month with the $5 per account charges.

Are you saying this is incorrect?
Hi, I tried to put some money in the account before I got there but they told me I couldn't put in or take out until the account was 'unlocked' which we did by going there with visa, signing all sorts of papers, getting internet access etc.

I applied for the account online back in August/September but the charges didn't start until after we unlocked it in November.

I wonder if it depends what type of bank account you have? Ours is an 'Access Advantage' account.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I tried to put some money in the account before I got there but they told me I couldn't put in or take out until the account was 'unlocked' which we did by going there with visa, signing all sorts of papers, getting internet access etc.

I applied for the account online back in August/September but the charges didn't start until after we unlocked it in November.

I wonder if it depends what type of bank account you have? Ours is an 'Access Advantage' account.
You can put in but not withdraw. I opened my ANZ Access Advantage account from the UK about 2 months before we got here and didn't start paying any fees until I had 'activated' it.

Kev, if you've had a bill already, I'd query it.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:14 pm
Confused member

Originally Posted by wmoore
You can put in but not withdraw. I opened my ANZ Access Advantage account from the UK about 2 months before we got here and didn't start paying any fees until I had 'activated' it.

I did mine all on-line so maybe misunderstood about paying in but they certainly took our cash pretty quickly when we got there!

But isn't that cheeky? Taking your cash but not letting you withdraw any. I know they have money laundering regulations to comply with but that should cover ANY transaction not just withdrawals.

And I agree, if they're taking fees before activation, I'd query it.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wmoore

I'll query it, robbin' b******s !!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:05 pm
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right: You are saying that the bank charges you for having an account with them, even if you have a healthy balance? Do all banks in Australia have this policy? I think I need to do my research!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:10 pm
Confused member

Originally Posted by baglady
Am I right: You are saying that the bank charges you for having an account with them, even if you have a healthy balance? Do all banks in Australia have this policy? I think I need to do my research!
With this account, yes. It's called an 'account servicing fee'. I only put $100 as we're not going to be there for another 6 weeks but as I activated it in November I've only got $60 left!

If you can find a free one, please let me know.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

With this account, yes. It's called an 'account servicing fee'. I only put $100 as we're not going to be there for another 6 weeks but as I activated it in November I've only got $60 left!

If you can find a free one, please let me know.

http://www.anz.com.au/australia/pers...management.asp

I opened the above account...as it offers 5.25% on balances over $100K. I haven't sent them a penny yet...so I guess the account isn't activated.

The account seems ideal...as it gives decent savings interest rates...but also operates with NO MONTHLY FEE. You also get all the usual stuff like chequebook ($1.50 per issued cheque!), debit card etc. You get 5 free withdrawals a month (then 50c per withdrawal after - from ANZ banks).

TC
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:04 pm
Confused member

http://www.anz.com.au/australia/pers...management.asp

I opened the above account...as it offers 5.25% on balances over $100K. I haven't sent them a penny yet...so I guess the account isn't activated.

The account seems ideal...as it gives decent savings interest rates...but also operates with NO MONTHLY FEE. You also get all the usual stuff like chequebook ($1.50 per issued cheque!), debit card etc. You get 5 free withdrawals a month (then 50c per withdrawal after - from ANZ banks).

TC
That's interesting, will have a look at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.