Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OOOOpps forget to ask travelling with infant ?

OOOOpps forget to ask travelling with infant ?

Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough
Default OOOOpps forget to ask travelling with infant ?

HI Our little one will be 17/18 months when we fly to Perth, any airlines you could recommend. Heard Singapore are good. How good is Economy as I doubt our budget will stretch to Business. Has any one used a skycot/bassinet, my husband is convinced if we request one of these then we will have no leg room ? Has anyone used one and where are they and how does it work with seating. If you have little ones you can appreciate how difficult it is to entertain them for an hour never mind a full day. Cheers
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:27 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OOOOpps forget to ask travelling with infant ?

Originally Posted by obogk
HI Our little one will be 17/18 months when we fly to Perth, any airlines you could recommend. Heard Singapore are good. How good is Economy as I doubt our budget will stretch to Business. Has any one used a skycot/bassinet, my husband is convinced if we request one of these then we will have no leg room ? Has anyone used one and where are they and how does it work with seating. If you have little ones you can appreciate how difficult it is to entertain them for an hour never mind a full day. Cheers
A child of this age will be too big for a bassinet. When we flew with our two 18 month olds we bought both of them seats. This is charged at 75% of the adult fare. The alternative is to have a toddler squirming on your lap the whole way. Don't bet on getting much sleep!

Oh and Don't fly Qantas. Do a search on "Mrs Buzzy" to find our experiences of flying Qantas with kids.

Buzzy
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
A child of this age will be too big for a bassinet. When we flew with our two 18 month olds we bought both of them seats. This is charged at 75% of the adult fare. The alternative is to have a toddler squirming on your lap the whole way. Don't bet on getting much sleep!

Oh and Don't fly Qantas. Do a search on "Mrs Buzzy" to find our experiences of flying Qantas with kids.

Buzzy
Cheers, had thought of getting a seat for her but them thought she would not sleep in the seat as well as in a bassinet ! Decisions decisions. Should be fun
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:37 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thread about Mrs Buzzy's experiences with Qantas -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405635

Buzzy
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:45 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

We found Singapore great with kids, thoughful things like bringing childs meals first and carrying our 10 month old around the plane for us so we could eat.
You wont get a skycot for a 17 moth old - can only get them for up to 12 months - they are not big!. I personally would pay for a seat as it gives you more room.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:18 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
A child of this age will be too big for a bassinet.
Buzzy
HI Our little one will be 17/18 months when we fly to Perth, Has any one used a skycot/bassinet, my husband is convinced if we request one of these then we will have no leg room ?
Our daughter was too big at 7 months for the bassinet. It however did not look like it interfered with legroom.

For the longer flights its well worth paying the extra. Do know of people who tried to save and had them on their laps - neither the child or the parent could settle and had a very restless flight.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Craig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really nice

If you do a search for Singapore Air, kids etc you should get some good info. This topic seems to come up every now and again. We travelled with our little one with Singapore and can honestly say I couldn't imagine a better airline. He was 20 months and they were fantastic with him. We travelled to Oz with him previous when he was 4 months old and it was a nightmare, so we were dreading it when he was at "that age". However I have to say we were amazed, he was great, no problems at all. All I would say is definitely book a seat for him - money very well spent. Even though there is every chance he/she will prefer to sit on your knee it is best to have the option. And secondly dont stress over it, you may be very pleasantly surprised. Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Hi we flew with our daughter at 9 months and she just fitted into a basinet - unfortunately anything more than 9 months and she would have been to big.
We flew with Emirates who were largely excellent with her - in fact one of the Aussie cabin crew took her off our hands for 20mins and took her for a walk....brought her back a bit to quickly mind!! The worst bit was really stopping over in Dubai ....in fact on reflection we think in future we would rather just get there to Australia and maybe have 4 to 5 hours off the plane in singapore en route.

Good luck...we enjoyed it so much we are going to do it again in September ....this time with a 5 month old AND a 22 month old!!!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speargun
Hi we flew with our daughter at 9 months and she just fitted into a basinet - unfortunately anything more than 9 months and she would have been to big.
We flew with Emirates who were largely excellent with her - in fact one of the Aussie cabin crew took her off our hands for 20mins and took her for a walk....brought her back a bit to quickly mind!! The worst bit was really stopping over in Dubai ....in fact on reflection we think in future we would rather just get there to Australia and maybe have 4 to 5 hours off the plane in singapore en route.

Good luck...we enjoyed it so much we are going to do it again in September ....this time with a 5 month old AND a 22 month old!!!
Well definately be paying the extra for a seat, especially as my little princess is not so little for her age. Just hope our cabin crew are as good as yours. We were thinking of stopping over 3/4 daysin DUbai or Singapore........what were your thoughts ? Did it make it harder ?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Craig&Sam
If you do a search for Singapore Air, kids etc you should get some good info. This topic seems to come up every now and again. We travelled with our little one with Singapore and can honestly say I couldn't imagine a better airline. He was 20 months and they were fantastic with him. We travelled to Oz with him previous when he was 4 months old and it was a nightmare, so we were dreading it when he was at "that age". However I have to say we were amazed, he was great, no problems at all. All I would say is definitely book a seat for him - money very well spent. Even though there is every chance he/she will prefer to sit on your knee it is best to have the option. And secondly dont stress over it, you may be very pleasantly surprised. Good luck.
Think we have decided on Singapore having travelled once to Bali with them ( our honeymoon - only us to consider then !)
What the changing facilities like, we flew to Spain this year and just after take off a nappy change was needed and honestly rated in my top 20 of bad stressful experinces could not move in the toilet and really struggled changing and hold her in safe manner......usually go multi taksk but was a nightmare.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:40 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we flew SA with 14mth - she did use the bassinet (she was a bit on the small side), which is based upon weight not age and SA is slightly larger than other airlines.

we had a very quiet flight on the first leg to singapore - they put us in the middle 2 seats of 4 (ie so noone was placed next to us). Pain with the bulk head seats is that the armrests are fixed. Soon after take off I moved to 3 empty seats (armrests up) & had the best bed you can get in economy .

On the 2nd leg, full plane. For me at the window seat to get up had to take bassinet off the bulk head, then pass DD to DH & squeeze by stranger in aisle seat.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Haley & Craig is an unknown quantity at this point

Think we have decided on Singapore having travelled once to Bali with them ( our honeymoon - only us to consider then !)
What the changing facilities like, we flew to Spain this year and just after take off a nappy change was needed and honestly rated in my top 20 of bad stressful experinces could not move in the toilet and really struggled changing and hold her in safe manner......usually go multi taksk but was a nightmare.
Hi

Just to give a balanced view of Qantas, we flew with them with a 20 month old and it was excellent. The flight was well priced, loads of choice of flight times, shortest flight time to our final destination, and we brought the babys car seat on the plane with us, which meant we had it in Austraila and did not have to rent one from the car rental co or buy a new one. The baby was really comfortable in his own seat and slept most of the flight. The food and entertainment were excellent would use Qantas again.

Good luck whoever you choose

Craig