Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

oooooh you don't wanna go there!

oooooh you don't wanna go there!

Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

rootbeerfloat will become famous soon enough
Default oooooh you don't wanna go there!

Having made a decision to pursue a career and a future in Australia we have decided that from all our research that QLD appears to suit us. I have friends who previously lived and worked around the Sunshine Coast regions so I've been trying to get their opinion of what's what in QLD.

Currently, Queensland Ambulance Service are not actively recruiting international applicants to areas like Brisbane, Sunshine or Gold Coast locations and are only offering vacancies in areas like Townsville or Mackay.
When I mentioned this to my more learned friends their response after the sharp intake of breath was to announce "oooh you don't wanna go up there!" but when challenged on why, they tend to get a bit vague.

I understand that it's more tropical and that things are more rural but I wondered what your opinions are.
Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources by any stretch), refers to Townsville as 'the unofficial capital of Northern QLD'.
Your experiences would be much appreciated. Ta
Old Dec 15th 2010, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

RachH will become famous soon enoughRachH will become famous soon enough
Default Re: oooooh you don't wanna go there!

well i live on the sunny coast and if i had the chance of a job in my chosen profession in Townsville i'd be seriously considering giving it a try
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RachH
well i live on the sunny coast and if i had the chance of a job in my chosen profession in Townsville i'd be seriously considering giving it a try
Thanks RachH. That's very interesting because one of my friends that I referred to who is also a colleague actually spent 18 months in Coolum Beach. So what are the major differences as you see them RachH? Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 11:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Townsville once. That was enough!
Old Dec 15th 2010, 11:55 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rootbeerfloat
Having made a decision to pursue a career and a future in Australia we have decided that from all our research that QLD appears to suit us. I have friends who previously lived and worked around the Sunshine Coast regions so I've been trying to get their opinion of what's what in QLD.

Currently, Queensland Ambulance Service are not actively recruiting international applicants to areas like Brisbane, Sunshine or Gold Coast locations and are only offering vacancies in areas like Townsville or Mackay.
When I mentioned this to my more learned friends their response after the sharp intake of breath was to announce "oooh you don't wanna go up there!" but when challenged on why, they tend to get a bit vague.

I understand that it's more tropical and that things are more rural but I wondered what your opinions are.
Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources by any stretch), refers to Townsville as 'the unofficial capital of Northern QLD'.
Brisbane for me, after 4.5 years here, has seriously lost it's shine. I would much prefer to live somewhere more rural for a change (especially after recently having driven from Adelaide to Brisbane)...
Old Dec 16th 2010, 12:43 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently undergoing a masterplan to lure the hubby into a Melbourne move (we are in the Brissie bayside suburbs).

I do like it here, but it's too hot and humid for me, I really do miss the 4 season type weather.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:27 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Unbeknown to most pommies there is more to QLD than Brissy
There are some lovely affordable areas where you can live right on the beach unlike anywhere you will find on either of the coast's. The lifestyle is more laid back but you become used it.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:34 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

This is all I know about Townsville:

a) My mate travelled around Australia in 1998 and he had to stay in townsville for a couple of nights. All the backpackers nicknamed it "shitsville".

b) there is a very large army presence in townsville.

c) I've been reliably informed that there isn't much in the way of entertainments.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Townsville once........I don't intend to go back
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:25 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here for over four years and really like it. Anything you'd like to know about the place specifically? My friend's husband is in the Ambulance Service here actually so he might be quite a useful contact
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:30 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, you may get a job with the Ambo's, but will your partner be looking for work?

My gf VERY experienced in Admin and all types of office work recently left there as she found it impossible to get a job let alone an interview, she was up there for 3 months I think it was.

She said she found it "too redneck" for her liking.........

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 16th 2010 at 8:15 am.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I went to Townsville last year, you are either irradiated in the sun or steam cooked in the rain. Still, some people like that sort of thing. Just watch out for the cyclones.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Unbeknown to most pommies there is more to QLD than Brissy
t:
I'm always amazed that Victoria is a large state, compared to the UK, yet QLD is about the size of Vic and NSW put together.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I'm always amazed that Victoria is a large state, compared to the UK, yet QLD is about the size of Vic and NSW put together.
It has the most decentralised population out of any of states as well so some sizeable regional population centres.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 16th 2010 at 9:27 am.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beedubya
To the OP, you may get a job with the Ambo's, but will your partner be looking for work?

My gf VERY experienced in Admin and all types of office work recently left there as she found it impossible to get a job let alone an interview, she was up there for 3 months I think it was.

She said she found it "too redneck" for her liking.........
I suppose that's one aspect we're concerned of. My wife is a full time mother at the moment but will start to look for work soon. It does concern me that it may be a little too scarce from an opportunities point of view both employment and schooling and activities for the rugrats.

Too redneck..... I wouldn't worry about that, we're from Dagenham!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.