Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oooh - you never can tell, can you....

Oooh - you never can tell, can you....

Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oooh - you never can tell, can you....

So, couple of old mates come and visit us the other day. He works for a well known government agency in Cheltenham (they're good listeners ) and she's a designer. Anyway - we're chatting away and the conversation inevitably turns to our emigration plans. And he goes - 'oh yea, I was offered a posting out there - if I'd got it we'd have been out there since March this year'. Couldn't believe it, they've listened to us waffle on about it and not said a word - must drum in the need for secrecy pretty damn well at his work. Turns out that despite the knock-back on the posting he's trying again in October and if that doesn't work he'll go out on a skilled visa, seeking employment with the Australian governement in Canberra. Made me wonder how many of my other friends and acquaintances are secretly hatching plans to leave Blighty.

Oh yea, funny story. Friend of his at work is at a party and he gets talking to this couple about houses. She says she'll fax over some details to him and asks him for his number. He goes 'Send it to any number - I'll get it'. Very funny - trouble is, he says it pretty loudly so the whole room hears. Next thing he knows, it's in the local rag, he's been called up in front of his superiors and gets his marching orders. The walls really do have ears