Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Only Mad Dogs & Englishmen .........

Only Mad Dogs & Englishmen .........

Old May 27th 2005, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Only Mad Dogs & Englishmen .........

Go out in the Midday sun!

BUT!!!! ............. once they migrate to Oz, been there a few years, settled and got used to the daily sun, do they continue ?!?

I'm just curious of what Expat's in Oz think of the sun once the novelty has worn off ?!?!

Are we all still as mad as the 'Mad Dogs', or do we now sit under the canopy we got for last summer?

Curious?
Old May 27th 2005, 4:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only Mad Dogs & Englishmen .........

Originally Posted by Jim2004

BUT!!!! ............. once they migrate to Oz, been there a few years, settled and got used to the daily sun, do they continue ?!?

I'm just curious of what Expat's in Oz think of the sun once the novelty has worn off ?!?!

Are we all still as mad as the 'Mad Dogs', or do we now sit under the canopy we got for last summer?

Curious?
You'll be working all hours, earning a rubbish wage. You won't have time to sit out in it. And when you are in, the curtains will be shut to stop the furniture from being damaged. Oh and it gets dark at about 1:30 in the afternoon anyway

How you doing Paul, how's the missus?
Old May 27th 2005, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You'll be working all hours, earning a rubbish wage. You won't have time to sit out in it. And when you are in, the curtains will be shut to stop the furniture from being damaged. Oh and it gets dark at about 1:30 in the afternoon anyway

How you doing Paul, how's the missus?
Hi Penny, well with the weather today, and me getting out of bed the wrong side ...lol, been in a bad mood all day, well it just made me wonder!

True tho, prob'll be working all day as you say, might have Sunday free tho ?!?!

The other half is ok. She's back home, on the up so to speak and all is relatively ok I'm back to work again so am bringing in a few pennies for all our lovely bills that keep getting posted in my door by mistake! ...lol

I just wonder do we all get bored of the sun after a while ?!?
Old May 27th 2005, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Old May 27th 2005, 8:08 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Was only talking about this today

In the UK I was a complete sun worshiper, I have olive skin and always kept it looking very tanned.
Since moving here I am probably the whitest I have ever been in my life, I really do sit out of the sun wherever possible.

It just doesn't seem as important to me anymore, probably due to the fact that if I really really wanted a tan I know I could sit out for an hour any day of the year and get one.

Kala
Old May 27th 2005, 8:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Curious?
You forgot English women. Mrs M is looking a bit red at the mo.....

I guess when you're in it every day and you expect to burn if you're not careful, you will be more careful. If you know what I mean
Old May 27th 2005, 8:27 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Was only talking about this today

In the UK I was a complete sun worshiper, I have olive skin and always kept it looking very tanned.
Since moving here I am probably the whitest I have ever been in my life, I really do sit out of the sun wherever possible.

It just doesn't seem as important to me anymore, probably due to the fact that if I really really wanted a tan I know I could sit out for an hour any day of the year and get one.

Kala
Hey Kala, shouldn't you be mopping up or something

Louise
Old May 27th 2005, 8:38 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by louise4
Hey Kala, shouldn't you be mopping up or something

Louise
He he I cant I drank too much Jack Daniels to be able to see what I am mopping.

MMM JACK daniels has just reminded me I am also babysitting a 6 week old puppy called Jack best go and see if he is OK
Old May 27th 2005, 8:40 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
He he I cant I drank too much Jack Daniels to be able to see what I am mopping.

MMM JACK daniels has just reminded me I am also babysitting a 6 week old puppy called Jack best go and see if he is OK
Don't get puppy Jack and bottle of Jack confused
Old May 27th 2005, 8:57 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by wmoore
Don't get puppy Jack and bottle of Jack confused

AUGH puppy piss and jacks are a very similar colour, mixed in with coke and I probbly wouldn't notice at this stage of the evening/morning
Old May 28th 2005, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Old May 28th 2005, 6:44 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Curious?
I'm not a mad Englishman, but I wouldn't avise anyone to go out in the midday sun in summer. Eleven to three, stay under a tree .... unless you like looking like a tomato.
Old May 28th 2005, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
unless you like looking like a tomato.

Or a Pomme maybe?! ....lol

Ok, not many replies , I'll wait and see I guess, if I ever get there!
Old May 29th 2005, 5:40 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Or a Pomme maybe?! ....lol

Ok, not many replies , I'll wait and see I guess, if I ever get there!
Goes without saying. You will be one of three types of pommy...

1. Dark tan (try orange) with leathery skin.....not a good look (shudder)
2. Lilly white or
3. As per 2 with severe sunburn everywhere your clothes didn't cover

Seriously, don't underestimate the Australian sun. 15 minutes in summer without protection will see you burnt to a crisp. It may surprise you but most Aussies gave up tanning twenty years ago.
Old May 29th 2005, 5:53 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

After 4 years I still constantly have to remind Dagboy that lunchtime in the middle of summer is not the best time to be out mowing the lawn & trying to dig a vegie patch . And that he needs to put sunscreen on before he goes out to work in the yard or go fishing, not 2 hrs later when his skin is red raw & he's just worked out what that painful burning is! :scared:

Hes getting better, but only just .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.