Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Only going for the Beach or weather?

Wikiposts

Only going for the Beach or weather?

Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:50 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by PeteY
Mine went anti clockwise.....
Its called coriolis force.....and it DOES have opposing effects in the northern and southern hemispheres.

Hurricanes in the northern hemisphere (a-clkwse) travel in the opposing direction to hurricanes in the southern (clkwse).

Water in your sink will too, or prefereably your bath, as the force has an effect which is directly linked to the volume of water you are trying to observe it in.

http://www.scienceyear.com/text_only...ackground.html
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Its called coriolis force.....and it DOES have opposing effects in the northern and southern hemispheres.

Hurricanes in the northern hemisphere (a-clkwse) travel in the opposing direction to hurricanes in the southern (clkwse).

Water in your sink will too, or prefereably your bath, as the force has an effect which is directly linked to the volume of water you are trying to observe it in.

http://www.scienceyear.com/text_only...ackground.html

Sorry, just a myth spread on the basis of incomplete understanding and stopping science lessons too early.

Here is the web page I put up to explain it:

I was going to put it up but it said it could not be reproduced without permission, so just go and have a look and then you will see that this coriolis force is looking at things too simply.

Last edited by Wilf; Aug 19th 2003 at 11:58 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice

Main reason im going, is to be closer to my mother in law.

Hahahahahahahahahahahha !!!! Can't believe I just typed that !!
Crikey. I'm trying to get away from mine !! Can't believe I've just types that either
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 2:15 am
Badge

Default sexist roles

I have just informed my gf that I will be doing all the ironing in the household as I expect to maintain high standards.. also I find it quite therapeutic...

badgers

Old Aug 22nd 2003, 3:08 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Only going for the Beach or weather?

Originally posted by Wilf
It would depend on which sink I use, how I take the plug out, etc. The earth's spin has a much smaller effect on the water than the details of the sink, etc. I remember doing all this sort of thing many aeons ago. Even though I may make more trips to the bathroom these days than then, pete, I won't bother for this one if you don't mind. I found a web page on this very thing a while ago.

Have a look at this:

www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.htm

This is a very good place for all sorts of myhts and legends. Did you know, for example, that Margaret Thatcher was a woman?
Just do as he says and take the damn plug out you silly old codger.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 3:21 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Only going for the Beach or weather?

Originally posted by Wilf
I remember doing all this sort of thing many aeons ago.
You mean in a parallel universe a long time agoooo!

Whoops! Slipp-errrrr of the keypad.