Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Online shipping quotes

Online shipping quotes

Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Online shipping quotes

Has anybody else done one of these? If so, how near to the final price did it come out? I did mine with John Masons yesterday and the quote was £1800. Not bad if true!

Mummy
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:10 am
Perth Bound

Avery Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online shipping quotes

Originally posted by Mummy
Has anybody else done one of these? If so, how near to the final price did it come out? I did mine with John Masons yesterday and the quote was £1800. Not bad if true!

Mummy

Hi Mummy

I assume they come out and do a full survey??
Is that price for a full or part container ?

we've had four quote and four different prices !
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Avery Family
Hi Mummy

I assume they come out and do a full survey??
Is that price for a full or part container ?

we've had four quote and four different prices !

yes they will come out and do a proper quote when i ask them, i was just wondering how near that proper quote i can expect the online quote to be. can't get a proper one until we have the visa, which will hopefully not be long now . . .! assume given the low estimate that we will be shipping part container. who was your cheapest quote with?

Mummy
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:54 am
Perth Bound

yes they will come out and do a proper quote when i ask them, i was just wondering how near that proper quote i can expect the online quote to be. can't get a proper one until we have the visa, which will hopefully not be long now . . .! assume given the low estimate that we will be shipping part container. who was your cheapest quote with?

Mummy
We had four, lowest was for a 20 ft container @ £3640.00 from Britannia International. Next came Anglo Pacific, same size conatiner @ £3760.00, Baxters assured us we needed best part of a 40 ft container, as did Dell & sons each coming in at £ 4671.00 & £5090.00.
The Strange thing was that they all looked at the same stuff. Admittedly the first two said that we were just over the 20 ft size and that if we didn't take two wardrobes we would fall into the 20 ft capacity. However both the others said we were well over...who do you beleive?!....if we take the 20ft and find that it won't all fit then I hope that the shipping agent will forward it on at at their own expence.
On other point to mention, all the companies gave differing information regarding what items should not be taken re Aussie Laws. One went as far as saying we could take anything (including a wooden bench from the bottom of the garden & a bird box !!)
Dispite going to companies regestered with BAR overseas and other professional bodies (as they all are) I'm none the wiser as who to choose !!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:56 am
Perth Bound

... by the way, we have a 3 bed detached house with garage, and asked to ship everything apart from main bedroom fitted wardrobes and drawers.... just to give you some sence of scale
Old Feb 20th 2004, 11:27 am
Go Banana's !!

Mummy
hi Mummy,

Do you have a web site address/link for John Masons please ?

Thanks

Warren
Perth 2004.....

Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Miss_Mover is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Online shipping quotes

John Mason's website is www.johnmason.com

Regards,
Miss_Mover

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
hi Mummy,

Do you have a web site address/link for John Masons please ?

Thanks

Warren
Perth 2004.....
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:05 pm
Sydney since Oct 04

l_jg is an unknown quantity at this point

Curious as to why you are thinking of taking wardrobes.... I thought most Australian houses had them already built in, and most sites / people that I speak to say not to spend the money on taking wardrobes because of this, unless they have sentimental value.

We are thinking of maximising on the luggage that we can take with us on the plane, and then maybe shipping a few boxes of books and sentimental nick-nacks along later. That may change when we start to look at what we have though - it's amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years and what you find so difficult to throw away or sell.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 10:42 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Avery Family
We had four, lowest was for a 20 ft container @ £3640.00 from Britannia International. Next came Anglo Pacific, same size conatiner @ £3760.00, Baxters assured us we needed best part of a 40 ft container, as did Dell & sons each coming in at £ 4671.00 & £5090.00.
The Strange thing was that they all looked at the same stuff. Admittedly the first two said that we were just over the 20 ft size and that if we didn't take two wardrobes we would fall into the 20 ft capacity. However both the others said we were well over...who do you beleive?!....if we take the 20ft and find that it won't all fit then I hope that the shipping agent will forward it on at at their own expence.
On other point to mention, all the companies gave differing information regarding what items should not be taken re Aussie Laws. One went as far as saying we could take anything (including a wooden bench from the bottom of the garden & a bird box !!)
Dispite going to companies regestered with BAR overseas and other professional bodies (as they all are) I'm none the wiser as who to choose !!
Blimey thats dear for a 20 footer, try doree bonner I am going from swindon to brisbane with a full sole use container, which they estimated at 650 cu ft for my stuff, came to 2900 got them down to £2750 they did the job in 1.5 days & were the main reason for a chilled experience. www.doreebonner.co.uk 9/10 from me, would of got 9.5 but ate all the biscuits & we provided loads, kids never got a look in.