Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Online Citizenship Application Or PaperBased Citizenship Application

Online Citizenship Application Or PaperBased Citizenship Application

Old May 2nd 2006, 3:01 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Online Citizenship Application Or PaperBased Citizenship Application

Dear All,

Does online citizenship application is processed faster or paper based form 124?If you have submitted your application online what are the documents you have to take with you during citizenship interview?

Please suggest and comment?
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Citizenship Application Or PaperBased Citizenship Application

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Dear All,

Does online citizenship application is processed faster or paper based form 124?If you have submitted your application online what are the documents you have to take with you during citizenship interview?

Paper based is MUCH quicker. In fact you could probably rock up at the DIMIA office without an appointment and provided you have the documentation be seen quite quickly.

I think the Citizenship web site ought to have a list of documents, but its something like: passports with visa, birth certificates, marriage/divorce papers, anything to do with change of name. Probably some other stuff too... (like completed application form with witness signatures, natch)
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:35 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Online Citizenship Application Or PaperBased Citizenship Application

Dear All,

I made myself a note at the weekend, some of this is my own shorthand, some is from the citzenship.gov.au website...

Call to arrange for interview 131880.

Complete proof of ID doc, form 1195. Passport sized photo certified.

Personal documents checklist

Bring the following documents to your citizenship interview. If you cannot supply the documents requested, please discuss your circumstances at your interview.

You must bring ORIGINAL documents as supplied by the issuing authority. If documents are not in English they must be translated by a suitably qualified person. Documents will be handed back to you after being checked.

For yourself:

* your full birth certificate with the names of your parents on it;
* your passport or travel document with which you arrived in Australia;
* a photograph; For more information click here
* all other passports or travel documents you hold;
* evidence of your permanent residence;
* if applicable, evidence of all changes of name (such as marriage certificates, deed polls or other official documents);
* a record issued by an authorised Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) provider if you have one. These are issued by your AMEP teaching centre. If you are not sure whether you are entitled to one of these, check with your AMEP teaching centre;
* if you are a British subject who arrived in Australia before 1 January 1975 and you do not have evidence of your entry to Australia, evidence that you were resident before that date (such as employment, taxation or school records);
* if you served in the permanent defence forces of Australia for at least 3 months, your discharge papers or a letter from your employer in the Australian Defence Forces;
* if you served in Australian reserve forces in a full-time capacity for at least six months, your discharge papers or a letter from your employer in the reserve forces;
* If you have resided overseas for 12 months or more since you were granted a permanent residence visa, you must provide overseas police certificates for each country in which you have lived since grant of a permanent residence visa.

Information about how to obtain police certificates is contained in form 47P Character requirements: penal clearance certificates. Click here to download the form. To find information about your country of residence, in Adobe Acrobat Reader, open the Edit menu and select Find (on this page). Then enter the name of your country;
* if you are a New Zealand citizen who has not been granted a permanent residence visa, you must provide a statement from the New Zealand Ministry of Justice before your application will be processed.
* as a New Zealand citizen you may also need to provide a certificate issued by Centrelink stating that you were residing in Australia on a particular date.
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:49 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I think the quickest way is to phone up and book an interview in advance, and take your completed application forms with you and lodge at the time. This is what I did. That way I had the interview on the very first day I was able to apply, and didn't have to wait long for my interview (if you rock up on the day unannounced, you end up in a queue with everyone else, and could be waiting a few hours).
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:21 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Dear All,

The quickest way is to fill in the paper application and turn up at the DIMIA office with it - you'll get the interview within an hour or two (a friend who did this only had to wait an hour at Sydney).