Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Online banking problem via HiFX

Online banking problem via HiFX

Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:08 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online banking problem via HiFX

Originally Posted by Adam 66
Thanks Gina, but I'm talking about a much larger sum than £10k at a time.
As "DunRoaming" has pointed out, Barclays have a "daily limit" for internet transfers - Nationwide don't .

All you have to do is to multiple transfers of £20k. You can do as many as you like on the same day and to the same "person" - all complete free, quick and easy

Once you've set up the person/organisation it's just a few mouse clicks.

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Sep 6th 2007 at 8:11 am.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:15 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
Strange. I use their online banking in that I I access my accounts over the internet using a customer number, memorable data and mouse-selectable pin.
So you *are* set up for online banking. That's great!
Originally Posted by discobay
I can transfer funds between accounts but everytime I wish to transfer overseas or out of Nationwide I need to follow the same procedure that I mentioned. Not once has Nationwide suggested otherwise. What you're suggesting is how it should work. I'll drop them a message.
Just to be clear: I am not "suggesting" anything - I actually do transfers out of Nationwide on a regular basis . This has included one to Tranzfers and one to HiFX.

Next time you're in online banking, try and follow my explanations on where to click.

Gina
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by janet66
Hi Craig, I'll answer using wifes account as shes browsing.

Mates already in Aussie Navy ex-RN say you have to declare ALL sources of income (be they Aus or UK) for your annual Aus tax returns hence you will pay tax in Aus on your UK pension regardless. If you fill in form P85 and send to UK tax office they will consider you for a tax free pension rather than you being double-taxed. You can get pension paid into an Aus bank account. I also found another very specific tax form for avoiding double tax on UK pension income via an official uk tax website but cant re-find it at present (HMRC perhaps??).

My pension now goes into my UK Barclays account, eventually it will go directly into my ANZ account held in Western Australia.

I also found out that National Insurance contributions for your UK basic state pension can be paid by direct debit in annual arrears (after end of tax year calculations) and that the qualifying period for a UK basic state pension is now 30 years of stamp paid. My previous state pension forecast estimated it at £88 per week, not much when I finally qualify for it but better than a poke in the eye. Even a slab of beer a week courtesy of the UK for all my years of toil is worth something.

I think the NI voluntary contributions form for "non-residents" is a CF38, I got it from the HMRC website. There are different NI levels to pay but all of them allow you the basic state pension. I believe that the level 2 contributions work out at £114 a year, level 3 at £440 a year and level 1 at over £1k. If like me you have already paid 25 years, its a no-brainer to keep paying UK stamp for another 5 years to qualify for a state pension, like the Tesco mantra "every little helps".

You can speak to the "Centre for Non Residents" helpline in Newcastle on 0845 915 4811 or surf to http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/

Sadly as an Australian resident, you will not get annual increases on your UK state pension after you recieve it unlike folks who move within EU as there is no longer a reciprocal benefits agreement between Aus and UK.

Hope this info is of use to you.
Adam

Thanks for the tons of info - really useful. I was aware of having to declare in Aus as we rent our house out already, so I've seen it on the tax return.

I'd also heard about the 'not paying UK tax' on the pension but wasn't sure if it was a Glasgow or Tax office issue so the contacts are really useful. Wasn't aware about the NI thing so having done 24.5 years by the time we move I will pay for 5 years as you suggest.

All the best
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
So you *are* set up for online banking. That's great!

Just to be clear: I am not "suggesting" anything - I actually do transfers out of Nationwide on a regular basis . This has included one to Tranzfers and one to HiFX.

Next time you're in online banking, try and follow my explanations on where to click.

Gina
Just got a reply from Nationwide (names edited out to protect the innocent):

Dear discobay

Thank your for your message

The only other way is to visit the local Branch with identification.
Regards

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 06 September 2007 06:57
To: Payment Services
Subject: Payments - BACS, CHAPS or SWIFT

Is there a more convenient method of transferring funds overseas than
the one I currently use? It involves filling in an online form, printing
it, signing it and posting it. I am told that this can be done online
without printing and posting. Can you confirm this?

Regards,

discobay
Old Sep 9th 2007, 12:54 pm
Banned

Discobay,

here are the instructions again for doing it online:

Once you're signed into "online banking" and in your FlexAccount, click on "Payments & Transfers", then click on "set up a new single arrangement", then select "set up details for myself" from the drop-down menu, then enter all the details for HiFX's or Tranzfers or Ozforex (or whoever you're using).

Then you just decide how much you want to transfer.

Up to you if you want to give it a go or not - there really isn't much else I can say about it.

Gina
Old Sep 9th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

OK Gina, thanks for that.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

tinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Adam 66
I decided to use Barclays to move with HiFX as it saves hassle.
Hi Adam,

So how did you transfer the money into the HiFX account from your Barclays account?

I've tried to to it into UKForex (OZforex) but after 3 hrs of phone calls it appears I can't transfer the money without physically appear in a branch.

Easily said than done since I'm in the US now... so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Anyone got advice UKForex HiFX?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinalise
Hi Adam,

So how did you transfer the money into the HiFX account from your Barclays account?

I've tried to to it into UKForex (OZforex) but after 3 hrs of phone calls it appears I can't transfer the money without physically appear in a branch.

Easily said than done since I'm in the US now... so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Anyone got advice UKForex HiFX?
Never used HIFX, but Forex (and tranzfers) are designed to be online transfer companies. and you shouldn't need to go into a branch.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:33 am
Just Joined

granca is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used HIFX for nearly three years now, hardly any problems and consistently good rates provide the transaction is pounds 5,000 or more, with no commission. They must have the money , however, either by bank transfer or personal cheque. I don´t know about Nationwide I use Nat West. Granca.