Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One for you Baysiders'...

One for you Baysiders'...

Old Feb 25th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of
Talking One for you Baysiders'...

Someone told me today, if we ever get up Bayside way to try a Moreton Bay Bug :scared: is it 'bush tucker'??? and will it give me the trots
Old Feb 25th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Smile Re: One for you Baysiders'...

Originally Posted by SBUK
Someone told me today, if we ever get up Bayside way to try a Moreton Bay Bug :scared: is it 'bush tucker'??? and will it give me the trots
its actually a smal lobster/crayfish type thing, i have a photo somewhere! give me 5
it MAY give you the trots!!!! who knows!
karen
Old Feb 25th 2006, 8:07 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One for you Baysiders'...

Originally Posted by SBUK
Think large crayfish really. Tastes like lobster and its simpl lovely. You'll find the seafood excellent around Morton Bay and I highly recomment the mud crabs also.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

sorry, searched high and low for my pic, must have been deleted.... you could do a search
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

YUM!!!!! Think I will have to go buy some seafood for lunch now .
Old Feb 25th 2006, 10:46 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

yukkk I hate seafood, I guess thatll have to change though
Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:19 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I live in Bayside and haven't tried one. Just the name puts me off BUG!!
What do you do with it then Mrs Dagboy cos I wouldn't know where to start. For when I pluck up the courage and buy some to try that is

Cheers
Ang
Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
What do you do with it then Mrs Dagboy cos I wouldn't know where to start. For when I pluck up the courage and buy some to try that is

Cheers
Ang
Go to a Restaurant and..... (saves cooking)

Moreton Bay Bugs
Grilled to perfection, drizzled with lemon and lime butter sauce with rice and salad - $36.90 OR
Coated in macadamia nuts and deep fried, served on a bed of fresh garden salad - $36.90

That price is from a Brisbane Restaurant, not sure about locally

I'm not a seafood person, so for me..... (at the same place)
Char Grilled Eye Fillet
Seared and cooked to tender perfection. Served with fresh garden salad and grilled sweet potato mash with either Mushroom, Pepper or Diane Sauce. $31.50

Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie

Cheers
Ang
Hi Ang, it is really just a shellfish similar to a crayfish or Lobster as someone else mentioned - imagine in taste a cross between prawn & Lobster & its pretty close. So if you like prawns/lobster/crayfish etc there's a good chance you'll like bugs as well . If you want to buy some, I suggest you try Seafood House at Capalaba, they have a great range of things as well as being a good price.

As for what to do with them, it depends on whether you buy them cooked or green (raw), If they are cooked you can do with them anything similar to what you would do with prawn or lobster - put them in a salad, eat them cold, put them on sandwiches etc. If you buy them green you will need to split them in half down the middle & you can do a whole heap of things with them. For a marinade try garlic & melted butter, lemon & Garlic, sprinkled with some fresh herbs like coriander & a drizzle of olive oil, all of those can be cooked on the BBQ. Or you can stir fry them with chilli & garlic, a sweet chilli or a chinese BBQ sauce, the choices are endless.

Let me know if you get some & what you do with them & if you enjoyed it or not .