Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one-year working visa to PR in South Australia?

one-year working visa to PR in South Australia?

Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

BenBronx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default one-year working visa to PR in South Australia?

Hello All,

I've recently read on a lot of various websites that a recruitment drive by the government of South Australia is hoping to lure Britons to jobs.

The Adelaide recruitment drive aims to encourage more 18-30 year old Britons to move to Australia on a one-year working visa. The hope is that, once there, people will choose to settle for good.

I was wondering how I'd be able to get permanent residency by taking part in a one-year working visa. I'm a 23-year-old, British male, who does not have a skilled trade. I was wondering if I'd have a good chance of finding work and getting a permanent residency without a skilled trade?

The following is from a website regarding the targeting of Brits:
According to new reports, the South Australia government has just launched a recruitment drive aimed at Brits to take on jobs that have a more unusual aspect to them. The government conducted a survey of around 2,000 Brits. This survey showed that 60 percent of them were bored with their jobs and would like a change. This, of course, prompted the South Australian government to try and lure 18-30 year old Brits on a working holiday package.
Brits who are bored of their life, or just bored of their job, can now try a working holiday in Australia. This is a visa that would be ideal for many Brits’ current situations. This visa actually gives people the opportunity to spend up to a year working and living in Australia. It even gives them the possibility to extend their stay or even apply for permanent residency. It’s a chance for people in Britain to try something new.

All help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one-year working visa to PR in South Australia?

I'm guessing from the age range they're talking about working holiday visas...strange that they seem to talk about them like it's something new.

Personally I think the chances of moving from a WHV to sponsorship / PR are slim...not to say that it doesn't happen.

To me this seems more like SA trying to attract more of a share of the WHV $ than it manages at present.

I bet if South Australians were surveyed 60% of them would be bored of their jobs and fancying a change too!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one-year working visa to PR in South Australia?

Originally Posted by BenBronx
Hello All,

I've recently read on a lot of various websites that a recruitment drive by the government of South Australia is hoping to lure Britons to jobs.

The Adelaide recruitment drive aims to encourage more 18-30 year old Britons to move to Australia on a one-year working visa. The hope is that, once there, people will choose to settle for good.

I was wondering how I'd be able to get permanent residency by taking part in a one-year working visa. I'm a 23-year-old, British male, who does not have a skilled trade. I was wondering if I'd have a good chance of finding work and getting a permanent residency without a skilled trade?

The following is from a website regarding the targeting of Brits:
According to new reports, the South Australia government has just launched a recruitment drive aimed at Brits to take on jobs that have a more unusual aspect to them. The government conducted a survey of around 2,000 Brits. This survey showed that 60 percent of them were bored with their jobs and would like a change. This, of course, prompted the South Australian government to try and lure 18-30 year old Brits on a working holiday package.
Brits who are bored of their life, or just bored of their job, can now try a working holiday in Australia. This is a visa that would be ideal for many Brits’ current situations. This visa actually gives people the opportunity to spend up to a year working and living in Australia. It even gives them the possibility to extend their stay or even apply for permanent residency. It’s a chance for people in Britain to try something new.

All help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
This is what a friend did:
Came out here on a WHV
Towards the end of his visa, the company he was working for sponsored him for a 457 work visa
Later on he applied for employer sponsored PR
He's now going for citizenship within the next 18 months.