Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One year working holiday visa - Electrician

One year working holiday visa - Electrician

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Jon_H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One year working holiday visa - Electrician

Hi, I'm traveling to Perth on the 16th September on a one year working holiday visa.

I am a fully qualified electrician in the UK and I was hoping to get started as soon as possible when I arrive. I understand I will need to get graded and this means getting a job with an electrical firm.

Does anyone have any information or experience in doing this?

I understand that my visa restricts me to 6 months working for the same company, will this have an affect on employers taking me on or offering me work?

Any information would be much appreciated

Thank you
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year working holiday visa - Electrician

You will struggle to get work as an electrician as it is a fairly long process to obtain a license. Including college work.

You might get work as a trade assistant.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon_H
Hi, I'm traveling to Perth on the 16th September on a one year working holiday visa.

I am a fully qualified electrician in the UK and I was hoping to get started as soon as possible when I arrive. I understand I will need to get graded and this means getting a job with an electrical firm.

I understand that my visa restricts me to 6 months working for the same company, will this have an affect on employers taking me on or offering me work?

Thank you
Hoping to get started as soon as possible?

Are you sure you have got the right visas? This is an extended holiday visa, it is about having fun, travelling around and earning a little bit on the side to fund your travels. You sound like you want to settle down!

What is it you are trying to do? If it is to have a working holiday (as per your visa), then I really wouldn't bother trying to get registered as an electrician, your visa will be half way through its validity before you are sorted.

The WHV would put some employers off, depends on the role, it would certainly put someone off who had a permanent role. But I thought a lot of trades were self employed anyway.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
You will need to get licenced in order to work as an electrician and it would take too long to achieve on a WHV

Best to try and get cash in hand or work as a sparky's assistant

WHV is designed for people who want to travel artound Australia and have some fun - best to stick to that

Enjoy!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies, I understand where you are coming from I didn't realise it was such a lengthy process.

I'm leaving a very well paid job that takes up 60-70 hours of my week not giving me much of a life, with the intent of traveling around Australia to find a location that suits myself and my girlfriend and settling down there. I understand this means applying for citizenship once we have decided on our location and you may think I have this planned all wrong if so please advise me.

Once again thanks for your advice and help.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies, I understand where you are coming from I didn't realise it was such a lengthy process.

I'm leaving a very well paid job that takes up 60-70 hours of my week not giving me much of a life, with the intent of traveling around Australia to find a location that suits myself and my girlfriend and settling down there. I understand this means applying for citizenship once we have decided on our location and you may think I have this planned all wrong if so please advise me.

Definitely got it all planned wrong I'm afraid.
You will not be able to apply for citizenship for several years, and that will only start after you get PR, the WHV is just that, a holiday visa and leads to absolutely nothing else apart from the holiday, and the fact that you can earn some money during that time. Not even sure that a WHV for you even allows you GF into Oz. Please read the guides about immigration and citizenship in the threads at the top of the page, and also in the Wiki (blue bar at the top)
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Before you can settle down you will need a visa which allows you to live here.....this should be a permanent skilled visa if you are eligible.

Sponsorship is not so easy in any field unless you have a special skill or are in short supply.....you could start the PR process now as it will take quite a while.

The working holiday visa is not meant for you to 'settle down'.

If you are serious about wanting to stay then you will need a visa which will allow that.....otherwise just have a long holiday on the WHV but remember that you will have to leave when it expires.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Before you can settle down you will need a visa which allows you to live here.....this should be a permanent skilled visa if you are eligible.

Sponsorship is not so easy in any field unless you have a special skill or are in short supply.....you could start the PR process now as it will take quite a while.

The working holiday visa is not meant for you to 'settle down'.

If you are serious about wanting to stay then you will need a visa which will allow that.....otherwise just have a long holiday on the WHV but remember that you will have to leave when it expires.
can his GF also come with him on that visa?, I thought it was a one person visa.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
can his GF also come with him on that visa?, I thought it was a one person visa.
I think they will need one each......I am not sure what he is planning as the girlfriend was not mentioned previously.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are going about this the wrong way, I am glad I asked.

You are coming on a holiday visa, you cannot settle down in Australia on this visa and you can't just apply for citizenship like that anyway. It takes years to get citizenship and you have to get a permanent visa before you would be eligible anyway. The WHV is obviously not a permanent visa.

There is nothing wrong with using the WHV to really see if you like Australia, check you won't be homesick or something. But in order to stay you need to go through the skilled migrant process, this can be quite lengthy for trades and you might find it easier to make a start on it whilst you are still in the UK and have easy access to all your work records and papers etc. As a minimum, I would recommend you complete the skills assessment process before you leave, skills assessment is a visa process, don't confuse it with licensing, which is a hoop you have to jump through to work in Australia.

Before you do any of this though, just check your reasoning. Plenty of people work 60-70 hours here, for some reason some people do think Australians don't work very hard, but it is just not true in my experience anyway. So don't expect moving to Australia to fix your working hours that is all down to you..
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Sorry I should have mentioned we both have WHV.

I'm a qualified electrician currently doing live DC swap outs for British telecoms 1 of 36 people who currently hold a license to carry out this work so I think this will help me gain a skilled visa.

My girlfriend has been before and traveled the east coast she loved it and decided Australia is the country she would like to live in I myself have never been but everything I have read and been told suits me I love been outdoors, I love sports, the sun, the beaches I know you need to actually be somewhere to see the bigger picture but that was the point of the WHV to travel the country find the location we liked and then apply for a skilled visa in that region. The idea that I might be able to get myself graded and earn a bit more money.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a qualified electrician currently doing live DC swap outs for British telecoms 1 of 36 people who currently hold a license to carry out this work so I think this will help me gain a skilled visa.

My girlfriend has been before and traveled the east coast she loved it and decided Australia is the country she would like to live in I myself have never been but everything I have read and been told suits me I love been outdoors, I love sports, the sun, the beaches I know you need to actually be somewhere to see the bigger picture but that was the point of the WHV to travel the country find the location we liked and then apply for a skilled visa in that region. The idea that I might be able to get myself graded and earn a bit more money.
There are a couple of choices for electricians on the skills list. Did you do an indentured apprenticeship, Cert III or City and Guilds, AM2, etc?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be very careful with this approach. If your intention is to get a skilled visa, you need to find out what experience is required for your occupation's skills assessment and also importantly, how recent that experience needs to be. It's possible that you come on a WHV, are unable to get suitably skilled and relevant work and it then hinders your ability to apply for skilled migration.

No expert but I'd also check that the kind of assessment you need locally is transferable from one state to another, in many cases I don't think it is. So how quickly would you decide which state you want to work in? And then get certified...your WHV could be almost up!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have yourself a good read of the options for Skilled Migration on Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, it is ok to try it out on a WHV. But skilled migration is not an easy process and I just think you would be better doing at least the skills assessment before you leave. You don't need to know what part of Australia you want to live in to do this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.