Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One year up:- progress report from FNQ...

One year up:- progress report from FNQ...

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default One year up:- progress report from FNQ...

G'day!!!

We are about to celebrate our first anniversay of landing in Australia. I am posting three weeks early, as my parents arrive on 4th September (the day we landed) for their first visit and I don't expect to be on here much, while they are here.

So here goes:-

We arrived on 4th September 2004 with two little peeps aged 3 and 6. We had a months hotel accom. and car hire arranged.

The first few months were hectic, getting settled and everything sorted out. Finding a house to rent wasn't too much of a problem when we offered them 3 months rent in advance (we had never rented before and ste didn't have a job when we first got here, so they were sceptical - they soon changed their tune when they saw some $$$) We rented a nice new 3 bed house for $290 a week - which we are still in, whilst our own home, is being built. We never had any problems getting a TFN, dealing with Ergon or Telstra, Centerlink or registing with doctors and dentists - all went really smoothly. Buying a car was no big deal either.

Ste got a job on the first day of looking and has been lucky that the company is good and growing. He's had 3 wage rises since starting and is now earning the same as the UK. nIt took about 6 months in all for all his appropriate licensing to come through but it did in the ned and didn't stop him working. We were prepared (if all else failed) to have taken any work in the meantime but we were lucky.

We made a boob with our sons first school - a local state school - I have to say that at this point, we had no aspirations to put either of our children in private schools. Infact I think I even said on here at some point - "No private schools for us". Anyhow, the state school was not good - cheeky and rude kids giving the teacher 'the finger' etc etc. Our son lasted 2 months and started this year (along with his little sis) at a local private school. I've read on here that there are some very good state schools in Australia, they just seem to be a bit 'thin on the ground' in FNQ. Kids are doing well at school, the downfall is the cost - $10,000 for the two of them. :scared: Hence we are looking to move them again in January to a 'lesser' expensive school - will kepp you posted.

As mentioned earlier, we are building our own home. Nothing flash, a 700 sq mtr block with an under roof size of 245 sq mtrs. 4 beds, etc etc And a pool, which is a necessity not a luxury, up here in the summer. The land cost $125,000 and the house all up will cost about $375,000 with pool, landscaping, fencing etc etc. Brand new houses in the same area are being sold for between $425,000 and $460,000, so its a small investment towards our future dream house. A new home is very nice but not really our long term plan. We are hoping to move within a couple of years of the house being finished into a nice wooden pole home in the rainforest.

Our 'lifestyle' here has altered completely and bears no resemblance to how we lived in the UK. The weather plays a major part in that. We have become avid campers and have enjoyed about 11 weekends and long weekends away since we got here. From Cape Tribulation to Mission beach, Chillagoe to the waterfall circuit, it's all been beautiful and there are some many fantastic places to go, we are spoilt for choice. It's a fantastic thing for the kids to do, gets them into the 'great outdoors' and is good for exercise and fresh air. The added bonus being it's a cheap break too, so we can get away more often.

The kids also enjoy swimming lessons, gymnastics, tabloid sports, aswell as body boarding at the beach. Their swimming has come on in leaps and bounds (neither could swim when they first got here), both can ride a bike now and they've made lots of new friends too. I think some of these things would have come along in time in the UK anyway, it just makes it easier to encourage them to get out and about when the weather is so fine. They've settled really well, all things considering and I'm glad we brought them out here while they were still young enough to adapt without too many problems.

Now for the other 'biggies':-

Money: To me, things pretty much cost on a par with the UK. We don't have expensive tastes and so our income and expenditures work out well. We're just average joes. It'd always be nice to have more $$$ but I generally think that the more you earn, the more you spend, that's all. Everything from food to petrol to clothes to furniture - it's the same the world over - you can go mad and buy top notch or you can buy on a budget - theres stuff here for all tastes and all budgets.

Family: I've done pretty well (I think) this year, in terms of not being homesick. My only brother got married last xmas, which I missed and felt bad about but going would have meant either a very expensive trip for us all to the states or me missing xmas here with ste and the kids (he got married on 26th december). I haven't wanted to return to the UK, we are enjoying our lives here too much to do that. We've had ste's mum here for a 2 mth stay which was ok and my M & D are arriving soon, which I'm really looking forward to - as for whether or not I'll feel homesick after I've spend three weeks with them - we'll see.

Food: I cook more now from scratch ( in other words, everything!!!) than I ever have before and as a result we all have a far better diet. Much healthier and more wholesome. That can only be a good thing in my book. My son, who was a very picky eater in the UK now loves a huge variety of foods, including "foreign " Theres the odd occasion when I'd quite like to go to sainsburys or wherever and buy a bag of ready prepared fresh veggies and those balsamic, red onion and wild mushroom chicken fillets and just get home and bang them in the steamer but DIY doesn't take all that long.

Christmas: Xmas was an odd affair this year, very different to what the children and I had ever experienced before (ste has spent a couple of chrissies in OZ before). In many ways it was exactly the same - pressies for the kids, yummy food - I still did some 'traditional' foods and also seafood etc, a few cold drinks!!! The sun shining didn't happen as it was overcast for most of the day but still an unusual experience to be in singlet and shorts instead of being rugged up. Talking to family long distance instead of swopping pressies was strange but it was ok.

Awstralia: OZ has been really good to us so far and we are really looking forward to this time next year when we can apply for citizenship. Neither of the children have developed an Aussie accent yet although theres a strange twang there. It was the best decision we ever made to come to Australia and settle. Yes, theres problems here, it's not paradise and you do have to work hard to get the things you want in life - but that counts for everywhere, as far as i'm concerned. The natives have been really friendly and welcomed us with open arms, we've made a couple of good Aussie friends and met some Brits along the way too. We don't actively avoid mixing with expats but we wanted to come to OZ to experience some thing different to the UK life we led.

I can't really say what makes for a successful migration, as we haven't been here nearly long enough to comment in that way but I will say this:

For us, whinging, moaning and groaning is not the way. It zaps your energy and leaves you feeling even more negative. It affects everything and everyone around you. A positive attitude helps heaps and really goes a long way, people around you pick up on it and it makes you feel good too.

Be happy and we hope you all enjoy Australia as much as we do.

Best wishes, Leigh. x
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:20 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: One year up:- progress report from FNQ...

Great update Leigh, glad to hear you're having such a good time out here
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:27 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
G'day!!!

We are about to celebrate our first anniversay of landing in Australia. I am posting three weeks early, as my parents arrive on 4th September (the day we landed) for their first visit and I don't expect to be on here much, while they are here.

So here goes:-

We arrived on 4th September 2004 with two little peeps aged 3 and 6. We had a months hotel accom. and car hire arranged.

The first few months were hectic, getting settled and everything sorted out. Finding a house to rent wasn't too much of a problem when we offered them 3 months rent in advance (we had never rented before and ste didn't have a job when we first got here, so they were sceptical - they soon changed their tune when they saw some $$$) We rented a nice new 3 bed house for $290 a week - which we are still in, whilst our own home, is being built. We never had any problems getting a TFN, dealing with Ergon or Telstra, Centerlink or registing with doctors and dentists - all went really smoothly. Buying a car was no big deal either.

Ste got a job on the first day of looking and has been lucky that the company is good and growing. He's had 3 wage rises since starting and is now earning the same as the UK. nIt took about 6 months in all for all his appropriate licensing to come through but it did in the ned and didn't stop him working. We were prepared (if all else failed) to have taken any work in the meantime but we were lucky.

We made a boob with our sons first school - a local state school - I have to say that at this point, we had no aspirations to put either of our children in private schools. Infact I think I even said on here at some point - "No private schools for us". Anyhow, the state school was not good - cheeky and rude kids giving the teacher 'the finger' etc etc. Our son lasted 2 months and started this year (along with his little sis) at a local private school. I've read on here that there are some very good state schools in Australia, they just seem to be a bit 'thin on the ground' in FNQ. Kids are doing well at school, the downfall is the cost - $10,000 for the two of them. :scared: Hence we are looking to move them again in January to a 'lesser' expensive school - will kepp you posted.

As mentioned earlier, we are building our own home. Nothing flash, a 700 sq mtr block with an under roof size of 245 sq mtrs. 4 beds, etc etc And a pool, which is a necessity not a luxury, up here in the summer. The land cost $125,000 and the house all up will cost about $375,000 with pool, landscaping, fencing etc etc. Brand new houses in the same area are being sold for between $425,000 and $460,000, so its a small investment towards our future dream house. A new home is very nice but not really our long term plan. We are hoping to move within a couple of years of the house being finished into a nice wooden pole home in the rainforest.

Our 'lifestyle' here has altered completely and bears no resemblance to how we lived in the UK. The weather plays a major part in that. We have become avid campers and have enjoyed about 11 weekends and long weekends away since we got here. From Cape Tribulation to Mission beach, Chillagoe to the waterfall circuit, it's all been beautiful and there are some many fantastic places to go, we are spoilt for choice. It's a fantastic thing for the kids to do, gets them into the 'great outdoors' and is good for exercise and fresh air. The added bonus being it's a cheap break too, so we can get away more often.

The kids also enjoy swimming lessons, gymnastics, tabloid sports, aswell as body boarding at the beach. Their swimming has come on in leaps and bounds (neither could swim when they first got here), both can ride a bike now and they've made lots of new friends too. I think some of these things would have come along in time in the UK anyway, it just makes it easier to encourage them to get out and about when the weather is so fine. They've settled really well, all things considering and I'm glad we brought them out here while they were still young enough to adapt without too many problems.

Now for the other 'biggies':-

Money: To me, things pretty much cost on a par with the UK. We don't have expensive tastes and so our income and expenditures work out well. We're just average joes. It'd always be nice to have more $$$ but I generally think that the more you earn, the more you spend, that's all. Everything from food to petrol to clothes to furniture - it's the same the world over - you can go mad and buy top notch or you can buy on a budget - theres stuff here for all tastes and all budgets.

Family: I've done pretty well (I think) this year, in terms of not being homesick. My only brother got married last xmas, which I missed and felt bad about but going would have meant either a very expensive trip for us all to the states or me missing xmas here with ste and the kids (he got married on 26th december). I haven't wanted to return to the UK, we are enjoying our lives here too much to do that. We've had ste's mum here for a 2 mth stay which was ok and my M & D are arriving soon, which I'm really looking forward to - as for whether or not I'll feel homesick after I've spend three weeks with them - we'll see.

Food: I cook more now from scratch ( in other words, everything!!!) than I ever have before and as a result we all have a far better diet. Much healthier and more wholesome. That can only be a good thing in my book. My son, who was a very picky eater in the UK now loves a huge variety of foods, including "foreign " Theres the odd occasion when I'd quite like to go to sainsburys or wherever and buy a bag of ready prepared fresh veggies and those balsamic, red onion and wild mushroom chicken fillets and just get home and bang them in the steamer but DIY doesn't take all that long.

Christmas: Xmas was an odd affair this year, very different to what the children and I had ever experienced before (ste has spent a couple of chrissies in OZ before). In many ways it was exactly the same - pressies for the kids, yummy food - I still did some 'traditional' foods and also seafood etc, a few cold drinks!!! The sun shining didn't happen as it was overcast for most of the day but still an unusual experience to be in singlet and shorts instead of being rugged up. Talking to family long distance instead of swopping pressies was strange but it was ok.

Awstralia: OZ has been really good to us so far and we are really looking forward to this time next year when we can apply for citizenship. Neither of the children have developed an Aussie accent yet although theres a strange twang there. It was the best decision we ever made to come to Australia and settle. Yes, theres problems here, it's not paradise and you do have to work hard to get the things you want in life - but that counts for everywhere, as far as i'm concerned. The natives have been really friendly and welcomed us with open arms, we've made a couple of good Aussie friends and met some Brits along the way too. We don't actively avoid mixing with expats but we wanted to come to OZ to experience some thing different to the UK life we led.

I can't really say what makes for a successful migration, as we haven't been here nearly long enough to comment in that way but I will say this:

For us, whinging, moaning and groaning is not the way. It zaps your energy and leaves you feeling even more negative. It affects everything and everyone around you. A positive attitude helps heaps and really goes a long way, people around you pick up on it and it makes you feel good too.

Be happy and we hope you all enjoy Australia as much as we do.

Best wishes, Leigh. x
You sound like you're having a brilliant time.....I hope we enjoy Australia as much as you clearly are. Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive post as it gives us something to aim for while waiting to sell our house and for our visa.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:29 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Fabulous balanced post Leigh.

Great outlook on life and sound values

Here's to many, many ,more years of happiness..... to you and yours

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:30 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Great update Leigh, glad to hear you're having such a good time out here
Funny ......was wondering the other day where you got to

Welcome back Michelle

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. It's funny but re-reading my post I've realised that although we don't mix with many expats in 'real' life, I do talk to many on here and have made some good cyber-mates along the way. This site has always be good for a giggle, aswell as info, especially when you're in the process of migrating, which is why I continue to post, albeit sporadically at time!!!

Good luck to all migrating.

Puk2oz - chers mate, will share that with you. xxx
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:42 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Leigh, u seem to be having such a great time, i must be doing something wrong. i felt as if life was great till i read your post
i hope every other year is as good as this one. u deserve it.
now uv just got to put up with visitors lmao.... oops sorry
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by soapy
Leigh, u seem to be having such a great time, i must be doing something wrong. i felt as if life was great till i read your post
i hope every other year is as good as this one. u deserve it.
now uv just got to put up with visitors lmao.... oops sorry
Cheers mate!!!

True about *some* visitors...nice to see them, nice to see them go!!!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:46 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. It's funny but re-reading my post I've realised that although we don't mix with many expats in 'real' life, I do talk to many on here and have made some good cyber-mates along the way. This site has always be good for a giggle, aswell as info, especially when you're in the process of migrating, which is why I continue to post, albeit sporadically at time!!!

Good luck to all migrating.

Puk2oz - chers mate, will share that with you. xxx
Tried to send you karma for such a fantastic post...but seems I need to spread myself around a bit first

Any offers anyone

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Tried to send you karma for such a fantastic post...but seems I need to spread myself around a bit first

Any offers anyone
LMAO ...I'm saying nothing...but thanks anyway! x
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:55 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz

Any offers anyone
Whistle

Last edited by soapy©; Aug 8th 2005 at 10:08 am.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

been there done that , wiped it on the curtains
Urghhh!! You mucky pup!!! :scared:
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:07 am
Master of verbal pish©

Urghhh!! You mucky pup!!! :scared:
i know i think ill edit that, it sounded funny while typing
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

i know i think ill edit that, it sounded funny while typing
Trust you to debase my wholesome thread!!! Anyway, too late - it's immortalised in the BE hall of fame forever now!!!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:12 am
Master of verbal pish©

Trust you to debase my wholesome thread!!! Anyway, too late - it's immortalised in the BE hall of fame forever now!!!
I'll get my coat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.