One year today

Old May 2nd 2006, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default One year today

Hi All

Well its been 1 year today since we arrived in Australia. Things are good. I have a part-time job at Gosford Hospital, doing admin 2 days a week. Hubby is working as an IT Infrastructure Manager in Syndey and also enjoying the role. Kids are settled into their respective schools and the eldest one is enjoying school for the first time as he is not bullied here. My 15 year old son has a part time job in Eagle Boys which is earning him some much needed pocket money, just need to push lazy son into getting one too. Dog and Cat have settled well although the cat is terrified of the birds as they are so noisy. We are in the process of buying our first house here (see thread 'ugly') and have also booked tickets for a holiday in UK leaving 30th Sept for 3 weeks, costing $9100 for the 5 of us (4 adults 1 child) so not to bad considering its school holidays. I do begrudge paying so much for a holiday in a country we lived for 35 years but hubbies parents are very old and this will probably the last time they see the kids, he was born late in life (a surprise he says, disaster I say). My parents came for a visit in January which was good and not one argument with my dad which is a miracle. It was a bit hot for them though. I have no homesickness to speak of and feel totally settled here. Boring really but there you go.

Oh and as far as salaries go, my hourly rate is about the same as I was on in UK $19.62 and hubbies pay is a little more than he was on in UK.

Jo
Old May 3rd 2006, 2:57 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One year today

Originally Posted by joho
Hi All

Well its been 1 year today since we arrived in Australia. Things are good. I have a part-time job at Gosford Hospital, doing admin 2 days a week. Hubby is working as an IT Infrastructure Manager in Syndey and also enjoying the role. Kids are settled into their respective schools and the eldest one is enjoying school for the first time as he is not bullied here. My 15 year old son has a part time job in Eagle Boys which is earning him some much needed pocket money, just need to push lazy son into getting one too. Dog and Cat have settled well although the cat is terrified of the birds as they are so noisy. We are in the process of buying our first house here (see thread 'ugly') and have also booked tickets for a holiday in UK leaving 30th Sept for 3 weeks, costing $9100 for the 5 of us (4 adults 1 child) so not to bad considering its school holidays. I do begrudge paying so much for a holiday in a country we lived for 35 years but hubbies parents are very old and this will probably the last time they see the kids, he was born late in life (a surprise he says, disaster I say). My parents came for a visit in January which was good and not one argument with my dad which is a miracle. It was a bit hot for them though. I have no homesickness to speak of and feel totally settled here. Boring really but there you go.

Oh and as far as salaries go, my hourly rate is about the same as I was on in UK $19.62 and hubbies pay is a little more than he was on in UK.

Jo
one year on...well done...nice post.

will be interesting to see how you feel when you return from uk/
i'll be looking out for that post.
best wishes lj
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:56 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your first year! May there be many more!

Glad to hear you have settled in well. We've been here for a year and we love it! Don't think we'd want to fork out $10,000 on a trip back to the UK though (although I understand why you are going).

Tracey
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Jo
Nice to read something pleasant.
We are 17 months into Oz now, and have never regretted it. We was talking last night about going back for a holiday in 2008. My hubby was sponsored so is not earning big money, just enough to live on, but we have had a lovely house built , and a pool, so im not complaining.
I have just got a job in the local kids home, and i cant wait to start working again.
We are putting my 23 yr old son through Uni in Perth til Nov next year, so there will be no spare cash.
But when we discussed going back for hols, and reasons why and who to see, we decided we go over East instead, we think the kids would love that, I have been when i was younger, done the great barrier reef and all.
So obviously it cant be that important to us. But anyway hope you have a great time, would be nice to read how you get on, look forward to it.
Denise
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Jo

A year soon passes by doesn't it? It is good that you and the kids have settled and are enjoying things.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Jo
Nice to hear someone feels as contented as us! We've been here a year aswell. Matt reckoned it felt like a long year "but in a good way". I thought it flew!
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

[QUOTE=joho]Hi All

Thanks for that thread, it is so nice to hear how you settlers are getting on.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:25 pm

electricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really nice

Hi All

Jo
Hi Jo
Great to know how you are getting on and there is 'normality' after getting there. I just want to be there and settled now, Can't cope with all the stress of selling houses and moving stuff across to Aus, the reasonds that we are moving seem to get lost with 'the Move'.
I have just applied for a job at Gosford/Wyong as a midwife, so you never know our paths may well cross
Great post
Caz