Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One Year in Brisbane

One Year in Brisbane

Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:08 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One Year in Brisbane

Hi Everyone,

Gosh, well where to start, I haven't been on this site for soooooo long now, I just dont seem to get time anymore, I did however pay my membership fee as a thank you to the owners for all the help I received in the stressful run up to Oz.
Just thought I would like to post an update now that we have been here for just over a year.
We moved here with 2 children, our daughter is 15 and son of 12.
The beginning was pretty stressful as I think it is for anyone, luckily my marriage is a very strong one but I can imagine one that is already a bit rocky suffering a bit in the beginning which has indeed happened to a few on this site.
Our daughter hated it, our son was indifferent and my husband struggled to find suitable work and I missed my family and friends. 12 months on and what a life! our children would not go back for anything and my husband is doing a job that he really enjoys and only has to work 4 days a week and I am also in a job that I enjoy working for a great company and have just cut my hours down to four days a week too, we both figured that we could survive ok only working 4 days each and we did come out here for a better life after all
We are living our dream and the kids are living theirs too, they have their own pool, trampoline, basketball net, dog, play room, rumpus....all the things that we bribed them with before we came
We are living in a lovely area surrounded by trees and amazing wildlife with great neighbours (had a BBQ for us the day we moved in) and fantastic friends.
It wasn't all plain sailing, our daughter was miserable for 2 months until we changed her school, she loves it here now and is a different girl, her confidence has grown so much. She has taken up dancing, loves school and has a great bunch of friends. Our son too has grown to love the Ozzie life style being the active boy that he is and it is music to my ears when both my children say that they wouldn't want to go back to England to live.
I did have miserable days for the first 4-6 months and missed my family and friends back in England terribly, I had met some people here but it just wasn't the same, they were people that I had absolutely nothing in common with other than coming from the UK. I felt that good friendships and all that goes with it was a thing of the past and that this was one sacrifice I was going to have to make but I am happy to say that we now have the most amazing set of friends both Poms and Ozzie's and rarely have a weekend without a barbie, laughter, wine and more laughter
There are very few things that we miss, one of them would have to be football and all that goes with it ie; 5 live, talk sport and MOD, we have Foxtel and still manage to keep up with the premiership but it just isn't the same with the lack of match build up and after match analysis. The other has to be people although I am surprised how easy this has become, saying that, we have been back once already and find that cheap phone cards and email makes it all the easier and the fact that I know the important people all have plans to visit at different times within the next 2 years helps too.
I love my life here, I still pinch myself sometimes when I am driving to work looking at the back drop of mountains, blue skies and parrots flying overhead and I think to myself how lucky we are to be living here.
My advice to anyone that has the opportunity to try it should give it a go, I can see from this site that it doesn't work for everyone but it has certainly worked out for my family, I would also say remember why you wanted to leave in the first place, we had very good reasons for wanting to leave and I have never let go of that which I am sure has made me appreciate every day that little bit more.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:16 am
Rocket Man

Andycroswell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One Year in Brisbane

Great upbeat post.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing!

Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Life sounds good - good for you.

Great post
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:55 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Hi Everyone,

Gosh, well where to start, I haven't been on this site for soooooo long now, I just dont seem to get time anymore, I did however pay my membership fee as a thank you to the owners for all the help I received in the stressful run up to Oz.
Just thought I would like to post an update now that we have been here for just over a year.
The beginning was pretty stressful as I think it is for anyone, luckily my marriage is a very strong one but I can imagine one that is already a bit rocky suffering a bit in the beginning which has indeed happened to a few on this site.
Our daughter hated it, our son was indifferent and my husband struggled to find suitable work and I missed my family and friends. 12 months on and what a life! our children would not go back for anything and my husband is doing a job that he really enjoys and only has to work 4 days a week and I am also in a job that I enjoy working for a great company and have just cut my hours down to four days a week too, we both figured that we could survive ok only working 4 days each and we did come out here for a better life after all
We are living our dream and the kids are living theirs too, they have their own pool, trampoline, basketball net, dog, play room, rumpus....all the things that we bribed them with before we came
We are living in a lovely area surrounded by trees and amazing wildlife with great neighbours (had a BBQ for us the day we moved in) and fantastic friends.
It wasn't all plain sailing, our daughter was miserable for 2 months until we changed her school, she loves it here now and is a different girl, her confidence has grown so much. She has taken up dancing, loves school and has a great bunch of friends. Our son too has grown to love the Ozzie life style being the active boy that he is and it is music to my ears when both my children say that they wouldn't want to go back to England to live.
I did have miserable days for the first 4-6 months and missed my family and friends back in England terribly, I had met some people here but it just wasn't the same, they were people that I had absolutely nothing in common with other than coming from the UK. I felt that good friendships and all that goes with it was a thing of the past and that this was one sacrifice I was going to have to make but I am happy to say that we now have the most amazing set of friends both Poms and Ozzie's and rarely have a weekend without a barbie, laughter, wine and more laughter
There are very few things that we miss, one of them would have to be football and all that goes with it ie; 5 live, talk sport and MOD, we have Foxtel and still manage to keep up with the premiership but it just isn't the same with the lack of match build up and after match analysis. The other has to be people although I am surprised how easy this has become, saying that, we have been back once already and find that cheap phone cards and email makes it all the easier and the fact that I know the important people all have plans to visit at different times within the next 2 years helps too.
I love my life here, I still pinch myself sometimes when I am driving to work looking at the back drop of mountains, blue skies and parrots flying overhead and I think to myself how lucky we are to be living here.
My advice to anyone that has the opportunity to try it should give it a go, I can see from this site that it doesn't work for everyone but it has certainly worked out for my family, I would also say remember why you wanted to leave in the first place, we had very good reasons for wanting to leave and I have never let go of that which I am sure has made me appreciate every day that little bit more.
Oooh i was just reading an old post yesterday and there you were and i thought to myself it is ages since you posted ... strange how that happens!!!

It is great to hear you are getting on so well - don't forget to pop back in now and then and give us further updates!!

Adele
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:20 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear things are working out for you..

Heres to the next year

Fee x
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: One Year in Brisbane

Hi Everyone,

well said.................
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG is it 12 months :scared:

Great post!!
If anyone deserves a good life its you guys...glad to see things have worked out after all you went through

Heres to the next 12 months
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:10 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hilary6
OMG is it 12 months :scared:

Great post!!
If anyone deserves a good life its you guys...glad to see things have worked out after all you went through

Heres to the next 12 months
Fab positive post

Here's to more wonderful years
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:12 am
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

Fantastic to hear how good it is - can't wait to be there
Old Oct 10th 2006, 10:48 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

good to hear from you Shazza what a great update, glad to hear things are working out well for you all
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:06 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

sounds absolutely great!!!
so absolutely jealous
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

What an inspiring post. I'm on my way to Bris on 25th October with my very unhappy daughter. Hopefully she will too change her mind one day.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

wusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Louise M
What an inspiring post. I'm on my way to Bris on 25th October with my very unhappy daughter. Hopefully she will too change her mind one day.
what a fantastic post loved reading it
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That is so good to hear! After the crappy year you had before getting here, it brilliant to know that you have all settled in as well as you have. And fitted in a visit back to the UK as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.