Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One year in Brisbane!!!!

One year in Brisbane!!!!

Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:27 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default One year in Brisbane!!!!

And what a year it was!!! Sept 10th 2004 I landed in this fair city on my own to start my new life.

Having left behind a divorce, 2 years of house sharing with a mate, great friends and good job in London, I started here with a bit of money in my hands and a brother who was willing to put me up till I found my feet.

In the last 12 months I have accomplished the following (in this order)...
Bought a car (Rav 4)
Got a job (earning just about the same as I was in the UK)
Started to train as a PADI divemaster
Made new friends
Met a man who was my ideal bloke
Took my Rav 4 4-wheel driving (yes it can do it!)
Bought a house of my own(semi-detached townhouse)
Visited the Whitsunday Islands
Learned to body board & took surfing lessons (badly!)
Bought a motorbike & joined a club
Had to go home to the UK for a funeral
Visited Sydney for a long weekend
Went skydiving out of a helicopter
Learned to rock climb
Took up the sport of adventure racing - Hells Bells - 24hrs, 100km
Had a long weekend in Melbourne
Got engaged to my ideal man!!!

And those are all the major events that I can think of. Dozens of smaller adventures in between have made these last 12 months truly a year to remember. And the best thing of all is it doesnt look like things are going to change.
My life here is honestly more interesting and full of adventure than I ever imagined it would be.
I honestly believe that moving to Australia was the best thing I could ever have done for myself, and it was truly worth the agonising wait to get my visa.

To all of you out there who are waiting to get over here - hang in there... its worth the wait!

Cheers!!

W.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:41 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year in Brisbane!!!!

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
And what a year it was!!! Sept 10th 2004 I landed in this fair city on my own to start my new life.

Having left behind a divorce, 2 years of house sharing with a mate, great friends and good job in London, I started here with a bit of money in my hands and a brother who was willing to put me up till I found my feet.

Bought a car (Rav 4)
Made new friends
Learned to rock climb

And those are all the major events that I can think of. Dozens of smaller adventures in between have made these last 12 months truly a year to remember. And the best thing of all is it doesnt look like things are going to change.
My life here is honestly more interesting and full of adventure than I ever imagined it would be.
I honestly believe that moving to Australia was the best thing I could ever have done for myself, and it was truly worth the agonising wait to get my visa.

To all of you out there who are waiting to get over here - hang in there... its worth the wait!

Cheers!!

W.
wow youve been busy
congrats on your engament
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:43 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Bought a car (Rav 4)
Made new friends
Learned to rock climb

Cheers!!

W.

Nice one !! Here's to the next year !
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Congratulations - hope it just keeps getting better!

Lindsey
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:03 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulatons on your engagement Wanderlust.
Glad you're enjoying life down under
Julie
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: One year in Brisbane!!!!

Onya mate, what a fantastic thread; lots of good news, with life getting better already!
Old Sep 12th 2005, 12:49 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Gee you've certainly been busy

Congratulations on your engagement
have you set a date yet ????
Old Sep 12th 2005, 2:38 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
Gee you've certainly been busy

have you set a date yet ????
Its looking like its going to be in May 2006. Location - tropical gardens.

W.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 2:40 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya. Here's to another year.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

CONGRATULATIONS!

Good on ya mate. It is great to see that things are working out for you. It sounds like moving here was the best thing you ever did- beats Brighton hey???

Can't believe it was over 2 yrs ago now the meet up.

Old Sep 12th 2005, 4:04 am
Banned

Astro will become famous soon enoughAstro will become famous soon enough

Bought a car (Rav 4)
Made new friends
Learned to rock climb

Cheers!!

W.

It's a refreshing change to see someone actually giving it a real go, instead of complaining about crap TV & no Tescos/smokey English pubs.

Good on you! ...I hope the next year is just as good for you.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 11:32 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats

You sound like youve had FUN !!! GOOD ONYA !!!
Old Sep 12th 2005, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Well done and Great post has inspired confidence again after several weeks of shite negative postings on here.

Roll on July next year when I will be joining you in Brissie.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 3:06 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

What a great year you have had!!
Good Luck for the future

Kris x
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Well done you!!!! I went to the Pine River at the weekend and wasn't quite adventurous to try water-skiiing but went on the inflatable 'ring' which was a blast....and thought I was brave!! Not a patch on you wonder girl!!!! Next time I'm gonna try....maybe!!

However, my pal and I agreed that that kinda day, was what life in Oz is all about for us. Getting out and about, being sociable and having fun whenever possible!

I'm also in the 'Oz Appreciation' club like you W!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.