Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One year in Australia

Wikiposts

One year in Australia

Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:21 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year in Australia

Congratulations you two!!! Feels good, doesn't it???

Hard to believe a year has gone by so quickly!

Here's to the next

Siren xx
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:28 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Get there early it will be packed
I know! We were there last year. Parked the car in West Perth at about 4.30am, & there were hundreds of people walking down the street.

The service was very moving. Made me even more proud to live here.
I was amazed at how a crowd of over 100,000 people, ranging in ages from the very young to the very old, can be so quiet...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:59 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

The 6am service at the Fremantle memorial is even more moving. It's dark when you get there, but you can see the lights of the docks, the ships out at sea. Gradually the light increases, the Ocean gradually develops that wonderful dark blue tone. You look around and realise you're surrounded by hundreds of silent people. There's such an air of reverence that it's almost tangible.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:00 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

We went to the Frech battlefields of the Somme a couple of years ago for Anzac day. It was very moving.... all those poor kids who are buried there (from all nationalities). We went to a place where the Canadians practically got wiped out (they have left it as it was during the war, except of course it has grass now instead of mud... but all the trenches are still there, and the shell holes, and even some of the posts the barbed wire was on). We saw alot of memorials (including the big Anzac one), and we`re REALLY impressed with the way the French look after everything in honour of those who lost their lives there fighting with them. I`ve never seen so many gravestones in all my life, and never so many which don`t have any names on.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:10 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Touche' !!!
Long may it continue.
kath n kim
Have to say though, Timbuktoo, terrible place to find decent chocolate and loo roll.

M

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:23 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
I gave my bosses boss a piece of my mind.

Doesn't leave much to spare then.

You know one day the chocolate will run dry and in that first sober moment you will find yourself in Perth, Scotland.

Good post Mairi...glad you are enjoying life
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:08 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
...and we`re REALLY impressed with the way the French look after everything in honour of those who lost their lives there fighting with them. I`ve never seen so many gravestones in all my life, and never so many which don`t have any names on.
Got to agree about the way they are looked after. We went over to Paris when we were in the UK last year and on the way back to Calais we stopped off at a commonwealth war cemetry in a small town. It was not huge - not the lines of stones in rank upon rank - just 80 or so graves, but it was all immaculate. No mess, no weeds, trimmed grass, neat hedges. Then you walk along looking at the details and realise most of the people buried there were under 22. It always brings a tear to my eye.

This morning I sat in on our school's ANZAC day parade, listening to the school captains (11-12) telling us why ANZAC day is important and listening to a chap from the RSL talking about serving in the RAAF just after WWII. The entire school (360 odd kids) sitting silent throughout - no fidgeting, no talking, just respect for sacrifices that they really cannot comprehend. Made me proud to be an almost Aussie.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

We have now been back in Australia for 1 year 2 hours and 10 mins (am I counting ? you bet I am ! )

Things have gone so much better then we had imagined

We knew it would be good but the reality has far exceed our expectations (esp mine)

We have made so many new friends, not only from this site but also neighbours, work collegues and people out and about.

Chris is working as an apprentice (something which would have been unachievable in Germany) I have a great job (even better since I gave my bosses boss a piece of my mind. Also today I found out that my pervy boss is being retrenched and there is a chance that I will get a promotion in the next few months)

We are hoping to settle with a house in the next month or so (just have to convince the bank in South Africa to release our money) and then we can get on with the purchase.

We've been busy just about every weekend we've been here and still havent "done" everything Perth has to offer. Why oh why did I think getting a job would be a good idea <shakes head>

Only 364 days 21 hours and 50 mins until Chris gets his PR, and 3 years 21 hours and 50 mins till he can become a citizen.

If time flies by as much as it has in the last year then citizenship will arrive before he knows it

mairi
(home again home again - I luuuuuuuuuuuurve Australia)
Another excuse to open and bottle...lol...congrats on your first year here, will toast to that and to a fab couple xxxx
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:24 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats VK's, keep on enjoying it
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice

We have now been back in Australia for 1 year 2 hours and 10 mins (am I counting ? you bet I am ! )

We knew it would be good but the reality has far exceed our expectations (esp mine)

We have made so many new friends, not only from this site but also neighbours, work collegues and people out and about.

Chris is working as an apprentice (something which would have been unachievable in Germany) I have a great job (even better since I gave my bosses boss a piece of my mind. Also today I found out that my pervy boss is being retrenched and there is a chance that I will get a promotion in the next few months)

We are hoping to settle with a house in the next month or so (just have to convince the bank in South Africa to release our money) and then we can get on with the purchase.

We've been busy just about every weekend we've been here and still havent "done" everything Perth has to offer. Why oh why did I think getting a job would be a good idea <shakes head>

Only 364 days 21 hours and 50 mins until Chris gets his PR, and 3 years 21 hours and 50 mins till he can become a citizen.

If time flies by as much as it has in the last year then citizenship will arrive before he knows it

mairi
Wow, that's wonderful news, congratulations to you!

my situation is similar & hopefullyI will be writing the same thing in 54 weeks time.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:08 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

mairi
great thread,given me a bit of a boost whilst in the time/life vacuum that is the house sale is at a standstill, good for you!