Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One year on in Aus ;)

One year on in Aus ;)

Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:30 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Wink One year on in Aus ;)

Well..... we hit our one year mark in Aus yesterday and I thought I'd give some feedback to all you lovely peeps as this site has been a god-send to us.

I also want to say "Thanks" to everyone on here who has given me & my family some fantastic info, fantastic feedback, many a laugh.....oh.... and a few bollockings on the way

B4 I start, I want to say this is MY anniversary...and MY perceptions of Aus. As much as I appreciate and accept YOUR views, please appreciate these are MINE.

OK...where do I start

We landed in Aus on the 12th of July last year, full of hope but not much luck.

Two weeks before we were due to leave UK my mum found out she needed an op for cancer so she couldn't come out for our initial 3 months as planned.

Then my eldest son decided he was staying in UK so we had to sort out a new flat, re-decorate, carpet and fill it with stuff.....

And then........ to cap it all on the last day of the packers....my dog dislocated her hip and needed 8 weeks solid bed rest.

Ever tried that with a Springer!

So with no home....not much luck...... and heavy hearts..... we landed in Australia for the first time in our lives. Hubby 46....me 42....son 16.

We had done lots of research, from climatic differences in various places in Aus to house prices, jobs, lifestyle...blah...blah...and we finally decided laid back, red neck Brissy was for us.

First thing we noticed was the weather. It was the midst of winter and the Aussies were wearing fur Ugg boots and coats whilst us Poms wore T-Shirts, shorts.......... and factor 100 <rolleyes>...lol

We had read a lot on Expats about not being able to buy good quality stuff in Aus so we bought all new in UK and were having it shipped over. Big mistake. We found we could buy EVERYTHING here that we could get in UK AND it cost in dollars what we spent in pounds so we would have bought it cheaper here had we known. The only thing we found comparatively expensive was second hand cars. They seemed more expensive here than in UK.

Finding jobs was a mixed bag of worms. Hubby found something almost straight away, although he found most unskilled jobs were temporary contract so no holiday pay, no sick pay etc and it's not unusual to work years on this type of contract, hence low unemployment in Aus. I on the other hand found it difficult to get back in to my old line of work [Logistics]. Although I didn't expect to start at the level I left in UK, I thought having come here highly skilled, I figured they must need what it was I had to offer. Wrong. A female in a male working environment is as welcome as a bacon butty at a bamitzvah

Anyways, we eventually accepted not everything is going to be rosy, so we got the best jobs we could... and got on with it.

One year down the line we have both found our feet. Hubby still at same place, still temp....still no holiday/sick pay.....and I'm now working in a different type of role [projects]...and although crap job.....it's excellent salary. Motto is don't expect UK culture, don't expect UK salaries, don't expect same job...but embrace the difference and go with the flow.

On the house front; we managed to find somewhere to rent and within 6 months bought a house once we'd sussed out where we wanted to live. We found friends, some from this site, some people who moved here 20+ years ago, some Aussies, kiwis etc and the great thing is everyone mucks in. Doesn't matter who you are, what kind of house you live in or what kind of car you drive. No one gives a flying fart if you have the latest gadget either, actually, that's not strictly true. These people exist, but here it's not as prevalent or as noticeable as UK.

We found the biggest life change for us is that although we work as hard as UK, and crime still exists here, and although bills are proportionately on a par to UK....we feel safer, we feel richer, we feel free-er and happier than we did in UK.

And before anyone insults our intelligence, it's not that we have "rose tinted glasses" on. We're not stupid. We see there is good and bad wherever in the world you live. However for us Aus has been a liberating experience with it's wide open roads and shopping malls and animals and birds and diverse scenery that even now, one year later, these things still take our breath away.

The one thing that never leaves your stomach is the feeling of missing your close family and friends. But then I guess we took the view we knew when we left what it would feel like and we did our "grieving" before we left UK. We have our moments .....but then you just get on with it.

Tomorrow's another day

So.... for us Aus has been what we hoped for. But then we've worked hard at appreciating the good bits rather than dwelling on the not so good. We expected Aus not to be anything like UK. We were right. It's not. And for all it's differences.... we've embraced it .....and got over the hurdles one by one. This has somehow helped us to find contentment.

Who knows what the future will hold? If I was that good I'd do the sodding lottery

Aus is not utopia. There's crime, graffiti, hoons and as many faults here as anywhere else. All I can say is that the Aussie people and their country have as many faults as anywhere, but a nicer bunch of people or a nicer place, you couldn't wish for. We for one....have made the right choice!

Good luck to all of you people waiting ....and many years of happiness for those here and enjoying it. And not to forget those who are unhappy in Aus. It's not everyone's cup-o-tea....and I hope you find your happiness wherever that may be. Good luck all

Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:36 pm
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: One year on in Aus ;)

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Well..... we hit our one year mark in Aus yesterday and I thought I'd give some feedback to all you lovely peeps as this site has been a god-send to us.

I also want to say "Thanks" to everyone on here who has given me & my family some fantastic info, fantastic feedback, many a laugh.....oh.... and a few bollockings on the way

B4 I start, I want to say this is MY anniversary...and MY perceptions of Aus. As much as I appreciate and accept YOUR views, please appreciate these are MINE.

OK...where do I start

Two weeks before we were due to leave UK my mum found out she needed an op for cancer so she couldn't come out for our initial 3 months as planned.

Then my eldest son decided he was staying in UK so we had to sort out a new flat, re-decorate, carpet and fill it with stuff.....

And then........ to cap it all on the last day of the packers....my dog dislocated her hip and needed 8 weeks solid bed rest.

So with no home....not much luck...... and heavy hearts..... we landed in Australia for the first time in our lives. Hubby 46....me 42....son 16.

We had done lots of research, from climatic differences in various places in Aus to house prices, jobs, lifestyle...blah...blah...and we finally decided laid back, red neck Brissy was for us.

First thing we noticed was the weather. It was the midst of winter and the Aussies were wearing fur Ugg boots and coats whilst us Poms wore T-Shirts, shorts.......... and factor 100 ...lol

We had read a lot on Expats about not being able to buy good quality stuff in Aus so we bought all new in UK and were having it shipped over. Big mistake. We found we could buy EVERYTHING here that we could get in UK AND it cost in dollars what we spent in pounds so we would have bought it cheaper here had we known. The only thing we found comparatively expensive was second hand cars. They seemed more expensive here than in UK.

Finding jobs was a mixed bag of worms. Hubby found something almost straight away, although he found most unskilled jobs were temporary contract so no holiday pay, no sick pay etc and it's not unusual to work years on this type of contract, hence low unemployment in Aus. I on the other hand found it difficult to get back in to my old line of work [Logistics]. Although I didn't expect to start at the level I left in UK, I thought having come here highly skilled, I figured they must need what it was I had to offer. Wrong. A female in a male working environment is as welcome as a bacon butty at a bamitzvah

Anyways, we eventually accepted not everything is going to be rosy, so we got the best jobs we could... and got on with it.

One year down the line we have both found our feet. Hubby still at same place, still temp....still no holiday/sick pay.....and I'm now working in a different type of role [projects]...and although crap job.....it's excellent salary. Motto is don't expect UK culture, don't expect UK salaries, don't expect same job...but embrace the difference and go with the flow.

On the house front; we managed to find somewhere to rent and within 6 months bought a house once we'd sussed out where we wanted to live. We found friends, some from this site, some people who moved here 20+ years ago, some Aussies, kiwis etc and the great thing is everyone mucks in. Doesn't matter who you are, what kind of house you live in or what kind of car you drive. No one gives a flying fart if you have the latest gadget either, actually, that's not strictly true. These people exist, but here it's not as prevalent or as noticeable as UK.

We found the biggest life change for us is that although we work as hard as UK, and crime still exists here, and although bills are proportionately on a par to UK....we feel safer, we feel richer, we feel free-er and happier than we did in UK.

And before anyone insults our intelligence, it's not that we have "rose tinted glasses" on. We're not stupid. We see there is good and bad wherever in the world you live. However for us Aus has been a liberating experience with it's wide open roads and shopping malls and animals and birds and diverse scenery that even now, one year later, these things still take our breath away.

The one thing that never leaves your stomach is the feeling of missing your close family and friends. But then I guess we took the view we knew when we left what it would feel like and we did our "grieving" before we left UK. We have our moments .....but then you just get on with it.

Tomorrow's another day

So.... for us Aus has been what we hoped for. But then we've worked hard at appreciating the good bits rather than dwelling on the not so good. We expected Aus not to be anything like UK. We were right. It's not. And for all it's differences.... we've embraced it .....and got over the hurdles one by one. This has somehow helped us to find contentment.

Who knows what the future will hold? If I was that good I'd do the sodding lottery

Aus is not utopia. There's crime, graffiti, hoons and as many faults here as anywhere else. All I can say is that the Aussie people and their country have as many faults as anywhere, but a nicer bunch of people or a nicer place, you couldn't wish for. We for one....have made the right choice!

Good luck to all of you people waiting ....and many years of happiness for those here and enjoying it. And not to forget those who are unhappy in Aus. It's not everyone's cup-o-tea....and I hope you find your happiness wherever that may be. Good luck all
Fantastic post, nice to see a balanced view, also nice to see that you've settled well, karma on its way
mandi
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:40 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!

Didn't realise you arrived in Aus 3 days before us!
I was planning to do a one year post on Friday, but have been busy, and on the days I haven't been busy I've been lazy(I'm planning a big post, with photo's, don't know if it'll ever happen though.... )

Good luck for the next year!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:41 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Good Post Phoenix and thanks for the help & advice you gave me before I got to get out here and see for myself ;-)
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:41 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

wow u do go on a bit !!!! he he he
great post, just loved reading it. good luck with the rest of your new life
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely post ...

Well done you.

Three Legs
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:43 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
(I'm planning a big post, with photo's,
oh no
well get a move on.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:49 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
oh no
well get a move on.
he he. See, I'm already tired myself just thinking about it. Thinking of doing one photo for each week...!!!
Anyway, this thread isn't about me. sssshhhhhhh We have to keep this thread on topic for at least 1 page

Yes, nice post Phoenix. And congrats on doing it with such a minimal ammount of smilies
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:54 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Ay-up all.

Cheers for the lovely comments and karma everyone

Looking fwd to your update Simone. Get on wiv it girl

Off to now....up at 5am :scared:

Speak to you all tomos no doubt

Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

OK...where do I start

First thing we noticed was the weather. It was the midst of winter and the Aussies were wearing fur Ugg boots and coats whilst us Poms wore T-Shirts, shorts.......... and factor 100 <rolleyes>...lol

Tomorrow's another day

Excellent post, thank you
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Great post and we hope we settle as well as you have.

Good luck

John & Julie
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:59 pm
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light

Well done, excellent post.

A year for me too tomorrow, Warren has to wait 'til October though.

I was planning on a post tomorrow to mark the occasion too, but won't be able to top this!, nor would I try, I have a particular brand of materialistic drivel that only I can write

Totally agree with all your sentiments. It's the best thing we have ever done, it's not perfect but it's a damn good close contender and we just feel it was the right thing too. Our experiences are personal to us all and it's how we see things not others, if we are all happy in Oz then leave us be, what harm are we doing anyone.

May you have many more happy years.

Jill
Old Jul 13th 2005, 2:35 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

OK...where do I start

Tomorrow's another day

A great post, thank you. It's nice to hear you've settled in so well.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Top post!!!
Really enjoyed reading it.
Good luck and I hope you have countless more happy years.

Scotty.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Phoenixuk2oz]Well..... we hit our one year mark in Aus yesterday and I thought I'd give some feedback to all you lovely peeps as this site has been a god-send to us.

OK...where do I start

Tomorrow's another day

Good luck to all of you people waiting ....and many years of happiness for those here and enjoying it. And not to forget those who are unhappy in Aus. It's not everyone's cup-o-tea....and I hope you find your happiness wherever that may be. Good luck all /QUOTE]

Fantastic post we`re on our way on the 18th Aug, really looking forward to it.

Send you some K, really enjoyed your post....gr8 attitude

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.