Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One Year Ago ....

One Year Ago ....

Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:10 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Year Ago ....

OL I missed it a couple of days ago but we've been here a year now .... and a couple of days. Thought I'd share some thoughts with you all .....

We came with very little cash (about $11,000), no jobs, a home only for 2 months, no friends locally .... you get the picture.

We said that we wanted to have some time off to get settled and sorted before looking for work so we had about 4/5 weeks before we started looking. Mrs M went to her first interview the day after applying, they offered her the job on the spot, she started a couple of days later and had been promoted twice before the end of the week! And she gets paid about $10,000 more than she did in the UK. I went for 5 interviews, was offered 3 second interviews and 2 jobs. A couple of weeks after starting work (on about the same salary as I was on in the UK), I was offered another one, which I politely declined. We're both still in the same jobs - I'm very happy with mine, Mrs M is less so with hers. When we come back from our travels, I'll be going back to my job all being well because it's a damn fine place to work

We did all the things you have to do (TFN, driving license, etc) without too much fuss and settled into the routine pretty quickly. We may not leave the house after work through the week too often - at least not in winter when it's too bloody cold - but we make a point of always going out somewhere at the weekend. Whether it's to the beach, into the bush, theme park, zoo, sports, boat trip .... it doesn't matter, we just make the most of the outdoorsy lifestyle created and encouraged by the great weather here.

We made a few friends - some from this forum and some locals - but to be honest we haven't really gone out of our way to do so. The friends we have made are all top-notch though and that's the main thing We've found people to be very friendly on the whole. We don't get to see some of them as often as we'd like but we just seem to be so busy all the time, but in a good way It's great to be able to strike up a random conversation with somebody on the train without being looked at like you're a weirdo. Just try doing that in an English city. We haven't had any grief about 'taking our jobs' or any such thing, which is one thing that bothered me a little before we got here.

We have a nice rental at the moment and to be honest I can't believe how cheaply you can run a rental. It almost encourages you not to buy .... As some of you will know, we're off travelling around Oz in a motorhome soon so we'll see what the buying market is like when we get back (and what our finances are like ).

We love Brisbane as a city. It's got all the facilities and amenities a city should have but it's small enough to walk around and you don't get lost in the high-rise jungle. There are plenty of parks round about for lazing in, the fantastic beach at South Bank, museums and theatres, and there's always something happening. The only downer is having to drive out to the beach because there isn't one in Brisbane itself. But hey, small price to pay.

Mrs M has missed her family, which is only to be expected. We've had several visitors over the year we've been here though and when her folks came recently, we had a great time. To be honest I haven't really missed anyone or anything, except for when the boys were organising their Christmas p**s-up and I couldn't get there We're on the phone or MSN / Skype often enough because it isn't expensive to call the UK. It would be nice if they called us more often mind you but then some things don't change.

On the whole, we've had a fantastic year and I can say hand on heart that our lives are better for being here, in terms of the things we do (and are able to do) and the people we do them with. I always said I expected 80% of what we do to be much the same but the other 20% would make the difference and that's exactly how it's turned out to be.

I hope this doesn't sound overly positive to the point of gushy but if it is, ... well, tough titties really, that's how I see it. To anybody who is looking for something different but can't make up their minds to move here or not, I would say with 100% conviction to give it a go. Keep an open mind to the weird things (like saying 'thanks' when you ask for something:- 'two schooners of VB thanks' and paying for things from your current account by selecting savings on the EFTPOS machine ) but give it a shot. Have a sense of humour and join in the banter. Give the Aussies as good as you get and she'll be right mate.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:18 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year Ago ....

Bloody hell fire...A whole year,I remember when you were leaving the UK.

Good post Wayne,keep enjoing it
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That year's gone quick Didn't get a chance to talk the other night but sounds like you've got life/work organised right! Have a great trip round.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:20 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Great post - I love reading these - makes you feel like it will all be worth it in the end!!

No you don't sound 'gushy' more like you went with realistic expectations and things have more or less turned out the way you thought.

t
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:36 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody Hell Wayne...a year already!!!

Great post as usual...and who couldn't like it. It's Bayside

BTW....house prices will go up now you're going...you prolly can't afford to live here when you get back...LOL

Only kidding ....you're a top notch pair ..good onya & Happy 1 yr Anniversary
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wmoore
OL I missed it a couple of days ago but we've been here a year now .... and a couple of days. Thought I'd share some thoughts with you all .....

We said that we wanted to have some time off to get settled and sorted before looking for work so we had about 4/5 weeks before we started looking. Mrs M went to her first interview the day after applying, they offered her the job on the spot, she started a couple of days later and had been promoted twice before the end of the week! And she gets paid about $10,000 more than she did in the UK. I went for 5 interviews, was offered 3 second interviews and 2 jobs. A couple of weeks after starting work (on about the same salary as I was on in the UK), I was offered another one, which I politely declined. We're both still in the same jobs - I'm very happy with mine, Mrs M is less so with hers. When we come back from our travels, I'll be going back to my job all being well because it's a damn fine place to work
Could I ask the nature of these jobs you found so easily?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:01 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Nice post!! I like positve posts.. especially when they're not too gushing!!!!

I hope we feel the same way when we finally get to Oz... I think how you feel about a place depends on your outlook.. me n' chopperboy aren't expecting everything to be wonderful - but if we can enjoy ourselves then that'll be half the battle!

Nice one!
Sonic xx
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:03 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

not gushy ...
great post, and congratulations on the 1yr anniversary - blimey....is it that long!!??

well, they do say time flies when your having fun!

good luck with the trip ... when do you go?

sue x
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:37 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Could I ask the nature of these jobs you found so easily?
Mrs M is Customer Service Manager at an IGA supermarket and I'm a Systems Engineer with an IT solutions company.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:38 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
not gushy ...
great post, and congratulations on the 1yr anniversary - blimey....is it that long!!??

well, they do say time flies when your having fun!

good luck with the trip ... when do you go?

sue x
In the next 3-4 weeks