Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is one week enough?

Is one week enough?

Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is one week enough?

My family flies out for Adelaide in 22 days, and I'm wondering if 1 week is enough time in a holiday house for us to find a long-term rental? Should we extend for another week or two? It's just that the sooner we get into something more permanent, the less money we will spend on furnished accom and I can use that savings for a better car. We also need something a little more permanent so I can get the kids registered in school.
Thanks, everyone.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is one week enough?

Originally Posted by dotnron
My family flies out for Adelaide in 22 days, and I'm wondering if 1 week is enough time in a holiday house for us to find a long-term rental? Should we extend for another week or two? It's just that the sooner we get into something more permanent, the less money we will spend on furnished accom and I can use that savings for a better car. We also need something a little more permanent so I can get the kids registered in school.
Thanks, everyone.

IMO, you need two weeks. Firstly, the jetlag delays you for a couple of days, because physically, you can only do so much.
Secondly, to really get a good handle on the rental market, what the top end is, what the bottom end is, what you'd love to rent but can't afford, and what you'll make do with after seeing everything, you need that two weeks.

If you're Sydney way, let me know if I can help you search at all. EDIT: Ah, ok, Adelaide way...

I am sure others here can lend a hand to keep your costs down.

C'mon people in Adelaide.... rental details to these guys...
Old Jul 20th 2006, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

C'mon people in Adelaide.... rental details to these guys...
There is loads of info on Adelaide accomodation in the FAQ section of AdelaideBrits.

There was an article recently in The Sunday Mail: Article - Sorry, there's no vacancies. about how rental properties in Adelaide are at an all time low at the moment .. in my opinion I would have thought you would need at least 2 or 3 weeks.

Good Luck, I hope the move goes well! (Oh .. and pack your woolies .. it's a bit chilly at the moment! )

Nikki
xx
Old Jul 20th 2006, 2:54 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dotnron
Thanks, everyone.
Will you have any pets coming out with you? If so, allow plenty of time to sort a rental - it took us six weeks to get one over here in WA with our dog.

Sue
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No pets, just 2 kids. We have seen tons of rental properties that appeal to us, but with no Australian references it may prove to be difficult to get anyone to rent to us.
I have PM'd a couple of people on AdelaideBrits for rentals they are looking to sublease, but the one reply I got it looked pretty bad. Still hoping to get one in Hallett Cove, though. Maybe she will have returned my message by now.