Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one way vs return tickets

one way vs return tickets

Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default one way vs return tickets

I have read somewhere (can't remember where!) that Singapore Airlines and Quantas do cheap deals on one way tickets. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this and would share some info. I know that when we go (eventually) I won't be needing a return ticket. What about everyone else?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:10 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: one way vs return tickets

We flew with Singapore Airlines on a one way ticket and it cost us £1600 for two adults and two children last year. They were great and couldn't fault them. We purposely didn't buy a return ticket because (a) of the money and (b) it would have been too much of a temptation to use it to go back to the UK when things weren't going well. It depends on your situtation but if you are making that big step to come, why do you need a return ticket to go back???

Lorraine
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:24 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
We flew with Singapore Airlines on a one way ticket and it cost us £1600 for two adults and two children last year. They were great and couldn't fault them. We purposely didn't buy a return ticket because (a) of the money and (b) it would have been too much of a temptation to use it to go back to the UK when things weren't going well. It depends on your situtation but if you are making that big step to come, why do you need a return ticket to go back???

Lorraine
Not following you "L" I promise

We bought return tickets so we could fly halfway back to Malaysia/Singapore. Our reason is we go back on a regular basis ie 3 times per year and we get a better flight deal with our parents local travel agent. So will get another flight (return) from KL to Melbourne.

I think we may also have managed to swing a deal with our global travel insurance - we get annual cover each year and so long as we had a "return" ticket we were covered in Oz for the first 6 months. - note some people are having issues with getting one way travel insurance.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice
Question Re: one way vs return tickets

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan

Lorraine
Hi All

A 457 long stay business is for 4 years, my understanding is that you have to have return flights and the low baggage limit as you are going out there not as a perm.

Anyone heard otherwise, really bothering me as the weight limit otherwise is real low.

Cheers

Jo
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossy
Hi All

A 457 long stay business is for 4 years, my understanding is that you have to have return flights and the low baggage limit as you are going out there not as a perm.

Anyone heard otherwise, really bothering me as the weight limit otherwise is real low.

Cheers

Jo

I can't see why you'd have to have a return ticket Especially since they are usually only valid for one year.

You won't get the 40kg's allowance though. You need a PR visa (unvalidated) for that.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Originally Posted by WendyC
I can't see why you'd have to have a return ticket Especially since they are usually only valid for one year.

You won't get the 40kg's allowance though. You need a PR visa (unvalidated) for that.
Thanks for your thoughts on that, I have had mixed opinions, some say unless you are on a PR then you need a return to facilitate your return after the visa runs out....

I think there will need to be an extra tea crate of shoes and handbags somewhere to overcome the 20kg baggage allowance
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your thoughts on that, I have had mixed opinions, some say unless you are on a PR then you need a return to facilitate your return after the visa runs out....

I think there will need to be an extra tea crate of shoes and handbags somewhere to overcome the 20kg baggage allowance

I'm pretty sure that you only get twelve months for an airline ticket and that you don't need to buy a return. After all what happens if you get PR while you're there and don't want to return.

Try asking someone who's been on a temp visa like Bix, I don't think he'd mind if you send him a Private Message.

But definately book that tea crate
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: one way vs return tickets

Originally Posted by WendyC
I'm pretty sure that you only get twelve months for an airline ticket and that you don't need to buy a return. After all what happens if you get PR while you're there and don't want to return.

Try asking someone who's been on a temp visa like Bix, I don't think he'd mind if you send him a Private Message.

But definately book that tea crate
Thanks so much Wendy, I will PM now.

It seemed odd to me but wanted to ask others their thoughts

The Tea crate will be fairly full I think although am planning to ged rid of alot of stuff that I simply won't use

Take Care
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so much Wendy, I will PM now.

It seemed odd to me but wanted to ask others their thoughts

The Tea crate will be fairly full I think although am planning to ged rid of alot of stuff that I simply won't use

Take Care
Hello there,

We are here on a 457 visa and only booked one way flights.

Sue
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

leewilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bevs
Hello there,

Sue
I have been told that the costs are not that different between one way and return tickets is this incorrect? As i thought it would be cheaper considerably going just one way.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leewilson
I have been told that the costs are not that different between one way and return tickets is this incorrect? As i thought it would be cheaper considerably going just one way.
I have checked out the flights and most one ways with Malaysian through travel bag seem to be around 377 where as most returns seem to be closer to if not more than 600-700. So significant if you are doing it without saving up as we are, its happened quite quickly.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

leewilson is an unknown quantity at this point

I have checked out the flights and most one ways with Malaysian through travel bag seem to be around 377 where as most returns seem to be closer to if not more than 600-700. So significant if you are doing it without saving up as we are, its happened quite quickly.
do they have a web address?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leewilson
do they have a web address?
http://www.travelbag.co.uk/

There are some good prices and some really expensive, I would ideally go with Malaysian or Singapore airlines via Kuala Lumpur or Singapore as used BA before and Qantas and wasn't as happy with service. Avoid the Royal Brunei ones as they tend to have loads of stops unless you want a real cheap flight.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bevs
Hello there,

Sue

Thanks Sue

Its good to know others have, was it questioned? I know when I went on a working holiday visa and have to have a return understandably but the long stay confused me with people saying you have to still prove you can return with a flight.

Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:40 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sue

Its good to know others have, was it questioned? I know when I went on a working holiday visa and have to have a return understandably but the long stay confused me with people saying you have to still prove you can return with a flight.

Myself and the wife are ,moving to Oz in 6 weeks from Thailand. We have bought one way tickets. 20,000 baht. Less that 300 quid each.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.