Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One-way travel insurance

One-way travel insurance

Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default One-way travel insurance

I've done a search, but not really found too much on this.

Who have people used for their one-way travel insurance when moving over?

The best I seem to have found so far is with www.go-walkabout.co.uk who cover emigration then 17 days afterwards (which should give us time to find a house and have contents insurance in place) I see the Post Office do too, but they seem more expensive.

Are there any better companies out there? Who did other people use?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all
Default Re: One-way travel insurance

We used the Post Office - that was 3 years back - don't know if they are still doing it though.

M
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

go walkabout seem to be the best for emigration insurance.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

markntracy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got the following quotes for 17 day insurance for a family of 4 children (11 and 12).

Walk-about £104

Post Office £100

Direct Travel £56

It was worth a call to direct travel, friendly staff, and they offer 3 levels of cover. We decided to take the standard cover as it covered medical claims up to £10 million and then slightly lesser maximum amounts for cancellation 3000/possesions 1500/money 500/lost passport 250/personal accident 5000/missed departure 600/dental 200/hospital 1000.

Hope this helps Mark and Tracy.

Help, only 2 weeks till we leave, Gold coast Bound.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:44 am
Just Joined

jobseeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone recommend travel insurance from Australian to London for non resident and not returning Brits?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Oh, that helps a lot Mark and Tracey. I'll give Direct Travel a call. I'm mostly looking for cover on my SLR camera and laptop that I'll have with me rather than medical cover (since we'll register for Medicare in our first days there).

Good luck with your move. We have 6 weeks to go now and are going to Brisbane.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: One-way travel insurance

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Oh, that helps a lot Mark and Tracey. I'll give Direct Travel a call. I'm mostly looking for cover on my SLR camera and laptop that I'll have with me rather than medical cover (since we'll register for Medicare in our first days there).

Good luck with your move. We have 6 weeks to go now and are going to Brisbane.
I am an Australian passport holder returning after many years and husband has spouse visa. Would we need insurance just in case something happens on plane or at Kuala Lumpur airport? Will register with Medicare in first week after arrival.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:13 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nailbite
I am an Australian passport holder returning after many years and husband has spouse visa. Would we need insurance just in case something happens on plane or at Kuala Lumpur airport? Will register with Medicare in first week after arrival.
Supposing you were taken ill during a flight and it had to be diverted. Most countires outside of Europe which you would be diverted to would not let you leave until all your medical bills had been paid.

Would you fancy spending weeks locked in a hospital ward or in jail until someone is able to stump up the money to pay any bills which could run into thousands of dollars.

Are you prepared to take the risk??
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of

I've been following this thread with interest.

I have a worldwide annual travel insurance policy which expires in March 2010.

Our plan is to make the move permanent in January 2010

Would our annual policy not cover us for the travel to Brisbane, and any issues till March??

Why would I need a one way policy?

Cheers
Tony