Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one way travel insurance?

one way travel insurance?

Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all
Default one way travel insurance?

hi guys,
we we are flying out to take up our permanent residency on the 27th sept. how does this work with travel insurance..obviously we will not have a uk address to claim from if the need arrises...or am i overcomplicating matters...thanx ash & co
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:35 am
Brisbane or bust!

Hooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant future
Default Re: one way travel insurance?

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
hi guys,
we we are flying out to take up our permanent residency on the 27th sept. how does this work with travel insurance..obviously we will not have a uk address to claim from if the need arrises...or am i overcomplicating matters...thanx ash & co
Hi Ash &co
We used Gowalkabout insurance via the net before we left. Then when you're here you can go into a Medicare centre to get your medicare card. You need to put down an address to get it but your rental accom is enough until you decide where you're going and then you just go in and change the address.
I think for the uk insurance we used the inlaws address, but I can't remember!!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

I used downunder insurance www.duinsure.com cost 20 pounds for two of us from departure date and for 10 days after arriving. Is a special one-way trip insurance so works fine even if you are leaving the country.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 6:27 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys,
The Post Office has a one way policy that covers you for 14 or 17 days (cant remember which) for a bit over 100 quid.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

thanks everyone just booked with downunder insurance, £41 for a family of 4 on a "comprehensive" policy
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone just booked with downunder insurance, £41 for a family of 4 on a "comprehensive" policy
If you have a Nat West account check them out it covered us 1 way for free. Never had to pay for any holiday insurance either over the years.

Good Luck

John
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:13 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vgenburgos
I used downunder insurance www.duinsure.com cost 20 pounds for two of us from departure date and for 10 days after arriving.
How did you manage to get cover for 10 days after arriving? The policy document on their web site says "cover ceases on arrival at your final country of destination". Did you 'phone them to get the 10 days after arrival added?

Gina
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

I think that statement refers to their normal travel insurance. When you select the one way option you get the chance to choose how many days after arriving you want covered. See - http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsu...avel_insurance

from above page

" normal travel insurance policy without one way cover will require you to depart the UK and return to the UK for it to be valid. However, we have
developed a policy which enables those of you travelling one way, whether it be on a holiday for a non-specific period of time, if you are moving
overseas, or if you are returning home to be covered from the moment you leave the UK until the time you arrive at your final destination"
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:43 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

to be covered from the moment you leave the UK until the time you arrive at your final destination
My quote was taken form their policy document for the one-way travel insurance.

Your quote above also indicates that you are only covered until you arrive at your final destination.

If it was me, I'd be phoning them to get it confirmed (and then get the call confirmed in writing) that you are covered for x days after arrival.

Gina
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Seamus234 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys,
Hi there - the Post Office actually does travel insurance that will also cover you for a one way trip - I've just used it for m mother who moved to Oz recently. The limits are quite good too and it will cover you for up to 17 days when you arrive too.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

The actual certificate I have clearly says 10 days (already in Oz, didn't have to claim so to the best of my knowledge it all looks fine to me), when you go through and set up the policy it is at this point you are allowed to choose the number of days after arrival.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:52 am
Banned

The actual certificate I have clearly says 10 days (already in Oz, didn't have to claim so to the best of my knowledge it all looks fine to me), when you go through and set up the policy it is at this point you are allowed to choose the number of days after arrival.
Just to add to this thread: I've just spoken to "Downunder Insurance" on the telephone. Since "vgenburgos" took out his policy they must have changed it (or veggie remebers it incorrectly": Their one way policy does *not* cover you beyond 24 hours after arrival.

Gina