Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One Way Travel Insurance

One Way Travel Insurance

Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Way Travel Insurance

Some of you might already know this but will tell those that don't and will need the info.

Just been sorting out the one way travel insurance. Several I phoned who have been recommended on here - Go Walkabout, PHA Travel Club and Downunder Travel Insurance all offer one way but not as clear cut as that.

PHA Travel Club and Downunder Travel both say on their sites that cover is for 17 days. PHA £50 and Downunder £99. But the policy actually stops the moment you pass through Customs in Aus so you won't have any cover between customs and arranging new Aus contents insurance.

Go Walkabout say 17 days and do exactly what it says on the tin You are covered for 17 days, they say they are giving you a bit of holiday before settling down to "real life".

For straightforward flying direct, cover for 17 days, family of 4 costs £99. We are stopping in Singapore for three days so it will cost us £120.

The Post Office do do a one way policy but didn't ring them so don't know if they stop at customs or not.

£120 seems a bit steep but they appear to have a monopoly on sensible policies so guess they can charge what they want. Hopefully we won't need to use it, but would hate to be in the "holiday apartment" after landing and getting burgled and having no come back, especially as we will be out and about most of the time with ALL our clothes and bits "home alone".
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Way Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Some of you might already know this but will tell those that don't and will need the info.

Just been sorting out the one way travel insurance. Several I phoned who have been recommended on here - Go Walkabout, PHA Travel Club and Downunder Travel Insurance all offer one way but not as clear cut as that.

PHA Travel Club and Downunder Travel both say on their sites that cover is for 17 days. PHA £50 and Downunder £99. But the policy actually stops the moment you pass through Customs in Aus so you won't have any cover between customs and arranging new Aus contents insurance.

Go Walkabout say 17 days and do exactly what it says on the tin You are covered for 17 days, they say they are giving you a bit of holiday before settling down to "real life".

For straightforward flying direct, cover for 17 days, family of 4 costs £99. We are stopping in Singapore for three days so it will cost us £120.

The Post Office do do a one way policy but didn't ring them so don't know if they stop at customs or not.

£120 seems a bit steep but they appear to have a monopoly on sensible policies so guess they can charge what they want. Hopefully we won't need to use it, but would hate to be in the "holiday apartment" after landing and getting burgled and having no come back, especially as we will be out and about most of the time with ALL our clothes and bits "home alone".
Check out the post office one , i got family one, one way 57 pound, my suitcase never got here, i did not claim until about 2 months after and within 2 weeks i got 3,000 dollars, well pleased with them, Denise
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info. Looks like it will be about £120 for us as well as we are spending 3 days in Singapore too.

Dave
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Robmichellef is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DJMA
Thanks for the info. Looks like it will be about £120 for us as well as we are spending 3 days in Singapore too.

Dave

try atlas, i have a quote for £45 (£3 cheaper as have an annual policy with them that I can't use....) good cover, we are staying in Malaysia for 6 days.

http://www.atlasdirect.net/index.asp
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

I just got an on-line quote for the Post Office one way policy. 17 days for the 4 of us (2 under 18) for £132. Seems a bit steep.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got an on-line quote for the Post Office one way policy. 17 days for the 4 of us (2 under 18) for £132. Seems a bit steep.
Is the 17 days really 17 days or does it stop on passing through customs just out of interest?
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

well we came out just befor xmas and ours was not that dear, but anyway i got 3,000 for my suitcase not getting here, so i was well chuffed
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Reading the small print it is 17 days.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Robmichellef
try atlas, i have a quote for £45 (£3 cheaper as have an annual policy with them that I can't use....) good cover, we are staying in Malaysia for 6 days.

http://www.atlasdirect.net/index.asp
They do the same as the others though I think, in that it stops at customs, but it's a good price compared to the others doing the same thing.

I am just not convinced that I will be in a position to organise Aus contents insurance within minutes of landing whilst having all my worldly goods with me (apart from the stuff in the container of course).

I hate insurance. You really have to weigh up how much you are prepared to lose premium wise if you don't make a claim against how much something will cost if lost/damaged. Especially when the company will probably find a loophole for paying out anyway
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You've hit the nail on the head here Penny.
Compare like with like.
Go Walkabout were the only one I found offering the level of cover I wanted over an extended time.

I've just asked them if I can cover you for a one way insurance to Iraq but they said no.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Bix
I've just asked them if I can cover you for a one way insurance to Iraq but they said no.
I am overwhelmed that you care enough to want to cover me but heart broken that you want me to go to Iraq
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:11 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we're using Go Walkabout, it was £66 for both of us from memory for the 17 days, which wasnt bad I thought...
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I am overwhelmed that you care enough to want to cover me but heart broken that you want me to go to Iraq
I just thought you would like the sunshine and cheap petrol
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Go Walkabout allows stopovers of up to 7 nights in total in areas 3 and 4 e.g. US, far east included in the premium area 2 (Australia/New Zealand). That brings the quote down from £120 to £99. Check out their FAQs.

Unless anyone can come up with a better deal than 17 nights cover for 2 adults and 2 children for £99, that's what we will go for. It will give us time to sort out contents insurance when we arrive.

Dave
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Robmichellef is on a distinguished road

Go Walkabout allows stopovers of up to 7 nights in total in areas 3 and 4 e.g. US, far east included in the premium area 2 (Australia/New Zealand). That brings the quote down from £120 to £99. Check out their FAQs.

Unless anyone can come up with a better deal than 17 nights cover for 2 adults and 2 children for £99, that's what we will go for. It will give us time to sort out contents insurance when we arrive.

Dave

I would try Atlas, as mine is for 8 days stopping in Malaysia for most of the time for 2 adults and 2 children with excellant cover. http://www.atlasdirect.net/index.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.