Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One Way Travel Insurance

One Way Travel Insurance

Old Feb 10th 2003, 5:21 pm
shellypuss

Question One Way Travel Insurance

Dear All,

Can anyone tell me if they know of any way to get travel insurance for a one way journey.

The travel agents would not insure us but said that we would have to supply them with the policy documents of whoever did insure us.

Asked family insurance man today and he said no-one will do it

Is this true??

All info greatly appreciated.

Shelly

Old Feb 10th 2003, 6:20 pm
shellypuss

Default Travel Ins

Come on astound me with your knowledge people

If I cant rely on you then who??

Shelly

Old Feb 10th 2003, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We are moving to Oz in March, so we plan to take out a 12 month policy (as if it is just a holiday) from the net using mother-in-laws address.
So this will cover us for flight's e.t.c.

Sue
Old Feb 10th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

You could always try this website

http://www.insureandgo.com

Hope it helps & good luck to you all
Old Feb 11th 2003, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Try and have a look at STA travel. I was in looking for insurance for our trip and in their wee booklet it had something about one way insurance. I think it may have been for students but not entirely sure.

The best quote we've seen so far was an annual family ticket from Halifax for around £71, but still looking.

Regards

Ginny
Old Feb 11th 2003, 11:04 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi,
We are moving to Oz in March, so we plan to take out a 12 month policy (as if it is just a holiday) from the net using mother-in-laws address.

Sue
I looked into this as we already had Annual and was told the insurance would be invalid the minute I turned the key in our accommodation door in Aus and we had no intention of returning and the stay was planned to be over the insurance period offered '30 days' individual trip I think. In the end it was what we used so at least the luggage was insured and so where we, just for the trip. But got insurance from the following day at the local NRMA office.
Old Feb 12th 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi,

Sue

Check the small print, most policies specifically state that the journey must begin "and end" in the UK.

We were able to buy one-way insurance through our flight provider www.austravel.com - they could only book it for us because we had bought our tickets with them, but if you contacted them via their website, they would probably give you the details of the insurance company they use. Obviously I would give you the details myself if I had them - but now we're safely over here, I have long since chucked them out!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:52 am
Just Joined

judy h is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: One Way Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by Sandra
I looked into this as we already had Annual and was told the insurance would be invalid the minute I turned the key in our accommodation door in Aus and we had no intention of returning and the stay was planned to be over the insurance period offered '30 days' individual trip I think. In the end it was what we used so at least the luggage was insured and so where we, just for the trip. But got insurance from the following day at the local NRMA office.
Sandra
My daughter is emigrating to New Zealand, and is looking for one way travel insurance. I read your message, and wondered what NRMA stands for. Could you please let me know urgently, as my daughter flies out on Monday (11th).

Looking forward to your reply

Judy Harrison
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Way Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by judy h
Sandra
My daughter is emigrating to New Zealand, and is looking for one way travel insurance. I read your message, and wondered what NRMA stands for. Could you please let me know urgently, as my daughter flies out on Monday (11th).

Judy Harrison
Not worth resurrecting such a old thread. Gets confusing and shouldn't think Sandra is still on. Just did a search on Google for you - NRMA is an insurance company in Aus.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:04 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judy h
Sandra

Judy Harrison
We used insure and go, cost £39 for 2 adults and 2 children, they cover you for can and all the other usual stuff and for 24 hours after you arrive..should be able to get cover last minute, they were very helpful. I rang around everyone and only other quote I could get was with cathay pacific and theirs was £130.

I worked in travel for 10 years, gave up when I had the kids and we used to sell holiday policies that covered one way travel but seems as though that has changed...Insure and go also do backpackers cover.

If you do a search I posted the details then(also think someone else gave the name of a diff company that they went with...most annual covers will be invalid unless you have a return ticket, wise to check it out.

Spalens wife!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Judy.

There are a couple to try in this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...avel+insurance
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:05 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

I got my one way travel insurance for the 5 of us with www.duinsure.com
Tel. 0800 393 908

I spoke to a very nice aussie chap and he arranged our insurance for us at a cost of £55. The policy is a 5 day one as its the shortest one they do and begins on the day we leave and expires 24 hours after we arrive at our destination.

Petra

Last edited by artep; Apr 7th 2005 at 12:07 pm. Reason: cos I can ;)