British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   One way or return ticket to Perth? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/one-way-return-ticket-perth-676217/)

Still Game Jul 13th 2010 5:35 am

Re: One way or return ticket to Perth?

Other very good reason is that it is much more expensive to buy a return flight from Australia to the UK than it is from the UK to Australia.

So, what we are goign to do is exactly the same get returns all the time. Then save up between visits and buy another return when in the UK.

The difference between one way and return as you've found is minimal - you may as well get it anyway, especially if you found you needed to rush back for whatever reason and hadn't any savings when you first hit the ground i nPerth.

Best of luck, you will really enjoy Perth - don't listen to folk who haven't had a good time there', it's YOUR trip and what YOU make of it!

I also agree Emirates is the best. We fly Glasgow - Dubai and then Perth. No huuuuge 14 hour trip Lon to Singapore and no need to go anhwere near London / Heathrow - massive bonus!

HelenTD Jul 13th 2010 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice (Post 8699075)
I also agree Emirates is the best. We fly Glasgow - Dubai and then Perth. No huuuuge 14 hour trip Lon to Singapore and no need to go anhwere near London / Heathrow - massive bonus!

Emirates certainly seems to have the best routes between Perth and the UK - about 11 hours from Perth-Dubai and 7 hours Dubai-UK. When you're travelling with kids, 14 hours is much better than 11 hours. However, having just travelled with Emirates Perth-London and return, I would be very reluctant to travel with them again. The seats were unbearably uncomfortable, for tall and short alike. The food was terrible. I know airline food doesn't have a good reputation, but I have experienced good food on other airlines in the past. What I can't forgive them for is not providing suitable food for my youngest child. If I hadn't been carrying some snacks, we would have been in real trouble.

Still Game Jul 13th 2010 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by HelenTD (Post 8700319)
Emirates certainly seems to have the best routes between Perth and the UK - about 11 hours from Perth-Dubai and 7 hours Dubai-UK. When you're travelling with kids, 14 hours is much better than 11 hours. However, having just travelled with Emirates Perth-London and return, I would be very reluctant to travel with them again. The seats were unbearably uncomfortable, for tall and short alike. The food was terrible. I know airline food doesn't have a good reputation, but I have experienced good food on other airlines in the past. What I can't forgive them for is not providing suitable food for my youngest child. If I hadn't been carrying some snacks, we would have been in real trouble.

That's no good.... we flew with them in April May this year Perth - Dubai - Glasgow and found all to be really good, seats food and all..... perhaps it's hit and miss but we've flown this route with them 3 times and so far so good...

HelenTD Jul 13th 2010 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice (Post 8700545)
That's no good.... we flew with them in April May this year Perth - Dubai - Glasgow and found all to be really good, seats food and all..... perhaps it's hit and miss but we've flown this route with them 3 times and so far so good...

My OH thought that the A380 was OK for comfort, but we only had this on one leg. The other planes were B777-300 (twice) and an A340-500 and these really did the damage for my body.

Food on all legs was bad, with the child's meal having exactly the same as the adults', apart from yucky pasta (I tasted it) on both legs from London-Perth. A small potato salad with vinaigrette or a Greek salad is not suitable for a child's meal, as far as I am concerned. What's wrong with a few cheese sandwiches and a bag of crisps? The desserts were the same as the adults and so disgusting I couldn't eat it (it also had nuts, which I wouldn't have though advisable to give to a child on a plane). No fruit at all, fresh or otherwise, all he was able to eat Perth-Dubai was a roll, plus mine. We had an evening meal, but no breakfast.

Our next meal was lunch after we left Dubai for Perth. I asked the attendant if there was some other food available, but she said there was nothing else. I said that surely first class must have something available and she came back with a small Toblerone (again with nuts) and an apple with a huge gouge in it. At least he ate the chocolate, as they had none available when they did the snacks, even though it was on the menu. I had persuaded Heathrow security to let me through with a couple of Ambrosia custard pots and some Hartleys jelly. That, and a bag of crisps, meant that I had something to give him.

bcworld Jul 13th 2010 11:57 pm

Everytime I've flown with them I've always thought Emirates food was the best I've had in economy...especially the desserts!

To the OP, if you're really going to pay GBP1000 take a look at the US Airways thread as suggested by louie...if you can afford to push the boat out a bit why not do it in style...you'd need to sign up to the frequent flyer program ASAP, definitely by 18th/19th July.