Reload this Page >

One way or Return?

One way or Return?

Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One way or Return?

Hi,

We aim to emigrate to Melbourne in July. What kind of tickets should we get, one way or return?

I like the idea of having a fallback option of a return ticket but I am not sure you can do it like that. Its a big step and a 'one way' ticket seems so.... final.

Also - is it worth buying the tickets early?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I posted exactly the same question on here some months back and some kind soul informed me that if you're emigrating and have the right visa you get double baggage allowance on a one way ticket (has to be the right visa type) That swung it for us.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:28 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way or Return?

Originally posted by Bret
Hi,

We aim to emigrate to Melbourne in July. What kind of tickets should we get, one way or return?

I like the idea of having a fallback option of a return ticket but I am not sure you can do it like that. Its a big step and a 'one way' ticket seems so.... final.

Any ideas?

Cheers
From my experience and from what ive read, look at the prices now as July onwards appears the cheapest time to fly...
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:30 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way or Return?

Originally posted by Bret
Hi,

Any ideas?

Cheers
yes, it's worth getting in early. Usually some cheaper seats still then. But you'll have to be quite sure about when/if you'll have the visa!
You don't have lastminutes to Oz!

We got a one way...it was cheaper.
BUT, sometimes you can get really cheap return ones to, some people even get them even if they are going one way.

I THINK return tickets usually have a maximum time on them, so I don't think it's a great idea.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:32 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
Hello,
I posted exactly the same question on here some months back and some kind soul informed me that if you're emigrating and have the right visa you get double baggage allowance on a one way ticket (has to be the right visa type) That swung it for us.
Unless you have a cheap deal like ours! I asked the airline, but it was no, not on that ticket!
But we find the cheap ticket more important than the baggage, so....
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

If you keep UK accounts and credit cards etc. then buying a return ticket in the UK seems to allow you to get into a cycle of annual trips home that works out cheaper than trying to do the same from Australia. If you can travel back and forth during the UK summers it seems to be the cheapest time to do it.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kelly T is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go for a one way ticket.
Buying a return makes it too easy to give in too soon.

KellyT